1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Carguy's Next Chapter

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by carguy, Jun 28, 2008.

1. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties with the video recording. I am sure the same commitment and dedication you've demonstrated to helping others on this site will show through on the video even if some of the mistakes have you feeling blue at the moment

2. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

Man, I'm sorry about your day. I had some bad experiences in that department...(haven't we all, though) I'd sweat, vomit before hand...... lose my complete train of thought in front of the whole company (500 +) .....

OK, time for a new plan. Could you get a group of "friends" together to be your class ? Maybe that would ease you into it, and provide some constructive feedback.

What's the class make up like ? Are they No0bs ?? Or seasoned ? Maybe keep an easel board in the class that you could glance at once in a while to keep yourself on track , or so those "lost place" awkward moments aren't as long. There's no shame in letting everyone see what's on the agenda for the session. Things are going to pop up unexpectedly. They're gonna happen, you just need to have plans for that stuff. I just try to anticipate those awkward moments and have back up plans just in case.

Look, you already know what didn't work....you've got to be half way there to a better presentation, right ??

It's tough, I know what you're going through. I'd give it a second try first, and if it isn't any better, at least you'll have two tapes to pick from to submit.

Presentations are a lot like sex.....the first time at it you're gonna suck. (I'm not helping, I am ?? :doh:) but it gets better with practice.

Regroup, and give it another try. You'll nail it. :tu:

#82 ABguy, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mike, don't apologize for what you write in your journal. You know your friends at JSF are here to not only congratulate your many successes, but to also lend support when needed.

I'm sorry to read that the taping didn't go as well as anticipated, but I don't see anything that can't be overcome. You've stepped out of your zone of comfort to do this, which is very applaudable and scary, and I think was a contributing factor to the first two issues you wrote about. Hey, it's your first crack at this and that leads directly to the the issue of voice projection, which is most certainly due to lack of experience. And easily dealt with.

You've gotten feedback that this taping may be enough to get certified, so if there is no harm in submitting it, go for it. And while I'm not minimizing the effort it takes to set something like this up, the fact that you do have an opportunity to do so, if need be, gives you a chance to leverage your experience from today's effort.

Mike, your transformation is a perfect case of leading by example and is emblamatic of your diligence and knowledge about fitness. Combined with the fact that you set high standards for yourself the whole package combines to mean that you have all the criteria for success in this endeavor.

I wish you well.

On a lighter note I got a real chuckle over the play on words with your dog. Our neighbor across the street has two and it's the perfect description.

4. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Thanks you for all the support, guys. It makes me feel better. I am trying to arrange another taping. If it goes better, then I just turn the new tape in. If it's not as good, I'll turn in the first tape. I need to get this behind me.

Have a good week, all.

5. Rise

Rise Active Member

You know the saying CG - Try, try again!

My only advice for public speaking type of things - just be yourself and have fun with it. We have a lot of faith in you.

:gl:

6. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

LOL... anyway, I'm sure that it was probably better than you think it was (the TAPING, that is) even if it wasn't your best, and it's just about guaranteed that if you DO have to re-do it things will go much more smoothly as the nerves wear off. Although I hear you --- retaping and setting up again is a pain.

By the way, I know you feel small right now but the lean look is good on you too -- you're looking crazy fit regardless. Much smaller would start to be less flattering, but despite the fact that you're starting a bulk again I don't actually think you're looking in trouble as is. Looking great!! :tu:

I'd add one of these in for good measure, but you know, you got families and stuff and JSF is an oogle-free zone. So, cushioned by many parentheses that make it HYPOTHETICAL (((((((:-)drool:))))))))

;) Good luck with the bulk and with the certification, Carguy.

7. Rise

Rise Active Member

Hey carguy, I now know what you mean! I'm in training all week to facilitate week long kaizen events for my job which includes presenting a 2-day presentation. As part of the training, they are taping us for 10 minutes at a time, 3x, in front of an audience of peers for better "feedback" and criticism. At first, it's a bit nerve racking to say the least, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I hope things work out for you!

8. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll rock out, you just got nervous. I would offer but I have none and I don't think that picturing the naked would work. I would hate to see that much bouncing around.

Pretend your talking to teachers. You know you have to speak loud because they never shut there mouths during inservice meetings.

Good luck!

9. beginner84

beginner84 Active Member

i can imagine that taping the class might be tough and i think i may be supercritical on my own performance if i did that myself.

im sure you know what your doing, good luck with the 2nd taping !

10. Croz

Croz Active Member

Great idea on the second taping. I hadn't seen that requirement in your journal until after it was done, but I'd have recommended having a friend come in and tape a class first. I've done a lot of speaking and presenting, even to very large groups and the first time you see a camera, it's unnerving and can really throw you off.

And don't apologize for the things you write. It helps the rest of us to see that you really are a mortal after all! :D

11. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Cheer up CG! My JRT woke up my 11 week old at 2AM last night and neither fell back asleep until almost 4.

They say that JRTs 'grow up' around 4 or 5, I'm waiting for that. Ours is a maniac all the time.

12. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

The second taping was a success (at least I feel that way). I've already sent it in and received word they got it. It will now be 2-3 weeks before I find out if I passed or not. The fall release just came so I'm learning a whole new set. Thanks for all the support and I'll let you know how it turns out.

On another note, I can't seem to stop the weight loss. I was down to 167# this morning. Here are some new shots.

#92 carguy, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  13. Rise

Rise Active Member

I know how... EAT!!

And congrats on the 2nd taping success!

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on nailing the second taping!

15. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. At least I feel proud of the second tape I sent in. I wouldn't have felt that way if I had sent in the first one. Of course I'll be devastated if they don't pass me. Just have to wait now. :scared::scared:

16. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Caught up a bit (slacking before a meeting)... good luck waiting for the results... stuff like that is always a bit nerve racking. Don't worry too much though.. stress wont help the body :P Keep it up sir.

17. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member

Why, oh, why can that never be my problem?? You're losing it, but I'm finding it!! :)

Oh, and you're still looking hot, so don't sweat it. :nod:

18. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

I did it!

I came home to this email today.

Congratulations, you have successfully passed your certification for Group POWER. Your certificate and assessment evaluation will be mailed soon. You can now go online and register for the AutoShip Program and order the new Fall ‘08 release.

Well done!

Training Department

What a relief to get that off my back. I was assigned my first class today so the timing was great. Thanks again for all who offered support during my waiting period. Now I've got to figure out a way to get me regular weight sets in because I'm often teaching or practicing when I'm at the gym. Don't want to lose what little muscle I've managed to put on. :nope:

19. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!!:claphigh:

20. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Congratulations! When can I sign up :D