1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Carguy's Next Chapter

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by carguy, Jun 28, 2008.

1. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

I thought I'd start a new journal (even though I am not good at keeping them up) because I have come to a point in my life where a lot of things are about to change.

In less than four weeks, I will be turning 55. It seems old but I don't feel it or fear it. I'm in the best shape of my life and am continually told I don't look it.

And today I committed to becoming an instructor at my gym. I will be taking training and eventually teaching the group class I have been taking the last three years. It's called Group Power and uses barbells of differing weights in routines set to music which works all the major muscle groups. They were happy to get a male instructor since they would like for more men to participate in the group classes. A lot of the other classes are really geared toward women.

For teaching the class, I will get paid so much per class (and half of that if no one but me shows up), a free gym membership, free tanning (big deal) and a discount on gym stuff. I'm there almost every day anyway so I figured I might as well get paid for it. Who knows, this could blossom into a post-retirement profession for me.:confused:

I'll keep you posted on how the three day training and certification goes. It's coming up the last week-end in July.

It will also be interesting to see if I end up doing this more and my regular weights less, if I will get into better or worse shape. I've always thought of this as a form of cardio even though it isn't. But I have to say that I think Group Power has added size to my biceps and really toned up my abs. Those are two particularly intense sections of the hour.

So what do you guys think? Can I come across as a credible fitness instructor?

#1 carguy, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. Rise

Rise Active Member

CARGUY HAS A JOURNAL!!!!!!!!! :claphigh::claphigh::claphigh::claphigh:

55 years young, obviously! You're in better shape than most people I know of any age and surely you inspire people you meet in your life.

Credible? All you'll have to do is show them your bi's & abs and any possible questions about your credibility will be squelched. I'm sure you'll be awesome at it! :tu: I can't wait to hear about your instructor exploits :nod:

3. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Thanks, Rise. I don't think my abs will be showing in class but the bis will be hard to hide since I always were a sleeveless shirt to the gym.

This morning I took my second yoga class (the instructor of this class is in charge of all of the instructors) and I may have broken my toe.:doh: It is all red and swollen now but I'm hoping it may just be a sprain. It would be very ironic if I were to break something doing yoga after three solid years of working out with weights without serious injury.

I also had fasted blood work done this morning before I went to the gym so I will be finding out how my cholesterol and blood pressure and testosterone levels are doing. I'm already on medication for all three but it would be nice to see if I am making any progress on them.

4. beginner84

beginner84 Active Member

radical ! way to go there, must be great to help others reach their goals !

hope it turns out the way you imagine it to be :tucool:

5. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

Wow, what a coincidence. First of all I just turned 55 myself in May so don't sweat it. I did not have a sudden craving for Geritol and shuffleboard and lose all interest in sex. What led me to post though was our gym is starting the group power sessions and is looking for instructors also. Not sure how good of a instructor I would be but I am tossing it over in my mind.

6. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

I'm glad you started a journal! I look forward to reading it! Your pictures always amaze me! You have a smoking body for 55! I would definetly take your class. We have classes here called "strong" and "basic training" which involve weights. Theres a couple male instructors who are really good and everyone seems to flock to their classes. You could end up with a whole clan that follows you.:tu:

You by no means look 55 so keep up the great work!! Your abs are amazing!

7. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement, BG84. I do enjoy helping others, in more ways than fitness. But this should be fun.

Hey SL, that would be so cool if you became an instructor also. There are 4 releases throughout the year, and we would be teaching the same stuff and could compare and contrast. I hope you go ahead with it. If you'd like, PM me and I can tell you about the class since I've been doing it now for 3 years. I also have links to the parent company's website where they talk about the certification process. :claphigh:

Thanks, kree-kree. I wondered if a younger woman would want to come to a fitness class taught by a "mature" man.

Why thank you, thank you very much. :madpimp: Carguy has left the building (happy).

8. docutech

docutech Active Member

What a great gig carguy! I am sure you will help many by offering your knowledge and expertise. Good luck with it and most of all enjoy it!

9. Speedlimit

Speedlimit Active Member

I think I will, depending on what time frame they are looking for people. I will take to the the lady in charge of the program tomorrow. I do my workouts real early due to my job and evening commitments, but if they want a 6am to 7am instructor I could work that in easy enough. My gym membership is paid in advance, if the pay was enough to cover my vitamins and protein each month it would be cool. I am thinking it might be fun, and if that is how you achieved your physique it obviously works.

10. emanphx

emanphx Active Member

Congrats Carguy, I think you'll make a great instructor! You've put in a lot of time and learned a ton through the forums and more importantly, through your own experience - I have no doubt that you'll help a lot of people at your gym.

11. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support, guys. I'm looking forward to this but it's also a little scary. :eek:

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Absolutely Carguy! All someone has to do is look at you to know that you're not just jawboning, but doing it.

Best wishes for success in this new venture and I'm confident that you're going to do well.

Oh, and a very early happy birthday! :)

13. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Well, as long as you keep the walker well hidden, I think you'll do okay. :rolleyes:

Seriously, congrats. Some people celebrate this age by getting a trophy bride or buying some frivolous auto, but you've decided to help others. Way to go. :tu:

14. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Oh, excellent. It's always exciting when people who actually KNOW something about fitness and muscle get into teaching, especially through regular gym classes. I've been taught by so many floozies (women should stick with high reps and low weights so they don't get "big" etc) with the "trainer" badge on their chest... If you were at my gym I'd be rushing to get into your classes, as your body speaks for itself re: knowledge and fitness. A CarGuy in the gym is a victory for everyone!!

You'll have so much fun. Bring back stories.

15. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

Hey Carguy. I haven't said hi in a while so i thought id stop by. Thats awsome about becoming a trainer. Best of luck. Hopefully you can inspire people who might otherwise not get into it. Cheers! :tu:

16. billmac

billmac Well-Known Member

Carguy - I think you'll be great at fitness instruction. You've done your own hard work on yourself, so you know what is possible. I hope my transformation will be as good as yours.

17. Croz

Croz Active Member

Hmm. My post never made it. I probably forgot to submit it. These newfangled computer thingamabobs confuse me.

Great to see another journal, CG. I'm subscribed!

But you're not a credible fitness instructor. To fit in with the fitness instructors at my YMCA, you'll need to put on an extra 25 lbs around the midsection.

Visible abs are NOT allowed!

18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol:

Hey Croz, how are you?

19. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Thanks, doc. By the way, did you ever find out anything about your mom?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Seltzer. Oh, and now you're off the hook for the 21st. :D

I never take it to the gym.

I do indulge in flashy cars, but me and the Mrs. are celebrating 30 years of marriage in August so I don't think a trophy bride is in my future.

London isn't so far. Please come to one of my classes. :dreamy:

Smuhhh, I'm not becoming a trainer. Just an instructor for a particular group class offered at my gym. Although if something would cause me to want to retire from my job, I thought about doing that.

Mmmmm. 205 pounds and a big gut. Sounds like fun. But I'm having a hard time even maintaining 180#. :nod:

20. Croz

Croz Active Member

I'm well, Paul. But I won't clutter CG's journal with my updates. I'll update my journal soon. Thanks for asking!