1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cardio + weight training + gaining weight?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mattias, Jan 27, 2004.

1. mattias

mattias Well-Known Member

I have a bit of a problem. I am 182cm and 59kg, I can't do cadio exercises for very long without getting winded and I am trying to build muscle/gain weight. This is my workout schedual:

Mon: Swimming(500m now (goal is 1km))
    Tue: Bike cadio(intervals ~30min), abs(crunches)
    Wed: Bike cardio(intervals ~30min)
    Thur:Bike cardio(intervals ~30min), benchpress, dumbell execises
    Fri: Bike cardio(intervals ~30min), abs(crunches)
    Sat: Bike cardio(intervals ~30min), legs
    Sun: Free

Am I doing anything wrong? My main goal is to get better at the cardio exercises, but I don't want to lose any weight. Also worth to add is that I am on a strict vegetabilic diet(vegan), so no animal foods.

2. NME

NME Well-Known Member

To ensure you don't lose weight, make sure you are eating plenty of clean calories every day. That cardio regimen is pretty intense (particularly for someone who's forte is not cardio). Also, your weight training is lacking; bench and curls (what I assume you mean by "dumbbell exercises") simply won't develop a muscular physique. You need to train your entire body in order to really "build muscle" (as you indicated as one of your goals).

3. mattias

mattias Well-Known Member

First off, thank you for replying. I really appreciate it.

Next off, the follow up-questions:

1. What is clean calories? Not a bunch of sugars or so? I do not eat much sugar.. almost none when I think about it.

2. I do not have a lot of equipment available; I have a benchpress with a leg part(for training hamstrings and the upper side of your thighs and such), dumbells and a exercise bike. What other exercises would you recommend, which are compatible with my equipment?

3. Would you say that the cardio is too intense? I haven't noticed anything yet, but I'm just getting started(I began with these exercises a few weeks ago). Also, it's not high intensity interval training, just normal intervals(50%/90% or something) and 30min is including warm up and cool down.

Thanks once again. :)

4. zamboni

zamboni Well-Known Member

1) Clean calories are, for lack of a better word, healthy calories. That means, that instead of getting your carbs from soda french fry's, eat whole wheat bread. Try to get your protein from lean meats like chicken and tuna. Empty calories from crappy foods don't benefit your body at all, sometimes they can even hurt you.

2) I'd recommend exercises that hit a large variety of muscle groups, like pull ups, dips, push ups, etc etc. These don't require a lot if any equipment. Of course, do the regular stuff too, like bench and squats and that kind of stuff.

3) If you're trying to gain weight, your cardio seems way too intense for that. If you're trying to seriously bulk up, I'd recommend cutting out a majority of that cardio, since when you do that much, your body's resources will be spent trying to recover from that rather then building new muscle mass.

My 2 cents