1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cardio/strength group classes and weighlifting question.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by GatorDeb, May 14, 2011.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

So everyone knows that you are supposed to give your muscles rest between workouts, i.e. 3 full body workouts a week with a day rest in-between or 3-6 workouts a week with a different muscle group or muscle group combos each day.

But what about group fitness classes like cardio/strength based? I.e. there's this class where you use 3 lb weighted gloves and a 6+ lb bar (swinging it around, lifting it all over, etc.). Or this other class where you do strength/cardio circuits and drills. Or this one where you do cardio with low (2.5 lbs) dumbbells and then some strength with higher weights.

How does that factor in? Can you take those on "rest" days from heavier lifting? Would that set back strength gains or complement them? I want to take them just because they're fun :)
    Thanks!

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Those sound more like cardio workouts to me. If you aren't running yourself into the ground they should be fine. But remember you need rest some time. If you're on a low calorie diet then it's even easier to get run down.

3. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hi Deb. Robert is right about considering these classes cardio. I teach Les Mills Body Pump, a muscle and strength training class using weights and a barbell. It is low weight, high rep and works all the muscles of the body. I teach this twice a week and continue to lift heavy in the free weight section of the gym 4 times a week and have never had a problem with that.

Group classes are great fun, as you said. And they make your fitness goals easier to achieve because they keep you interested and connected and encouraged. Go for it!

4. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I do something similar every saturday morning and I count that as a cardio session.

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Carguy I didn't even mention BodyPump because that's my main weight training now but I'm not getting the results I want. I was thinking about even lesser weights on the days I "rest" from BP. I want this schedule:

Monday Shoulders
    Tuesday Back
    Wednesday Chest
    Thursday Biceps
    Friday Triceps
    Saturday Legs
    Sunday Abs/Core

So if do BodyPump on like Tuesday and Thusday you wouldn't consider that overtraining?

Lost 78 lbs with group classes, I love them :) I take them just because they're fun. And I just joined a new gym that's all about functional classes so I'll be incorporating a lot of new hybrid cardio/strength classes, but I was to do MAX-OT heavy lifting on my own.