1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cardio Re-Build Challenge!!! You set your goals - you report your accomplishments here!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Justitia, May 20, 2018.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My various other threads discuss what has been happening for me in the past half-dozen years or so as fell I off the fitness band-wagon among many other band-wagons.

Now I am making a sincere effort to come back.

So to start--- I am challenging myself to do AM fasted cardio at least 3 times a week - generally M-W-F -- with the hopes that at times I will do more and maybe even reach 7 days a week on occasion. But I am not setting my sights up too high -- I will be very grateful if I achieve 3 times a week.

So my goal is 45 min of fasted cardio on one of two machines.

The main one will be the 770AT Total Body Arc trainer by Cybex - an amazing piece of equipment that is an elliptical cross-trainer that somehow puts zero pressure on any joints. I was using it a couple of years ago when I was in extreme pain due to needing a hip-replacement which due to circumstances I had to delay for over 6 mos. Though it became increasingly painful to even walk -- I was still able to go on the Cybex Arc Trainer.

The other will be the standard treadmill -- though no running -- just quick walking on an incline to get my heart rate up.

I may follow it up with a cool down 1/2 mile walk out in the sun while I go to a nearby Starbucks to get my favorite dry latte/wet cappuccino drink - depending on the barrister - at Starbucks.

So I plan to report back here.

Hope you can join me! :-)

Merk likes this.
  2. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

2018/05/20 Sunday
    45 min on Cybex Arc trainer. First workout since Dec 26 - pre-back surgery. Got HR up to 130. Food good though not measuring calories or macros right now. Weight down 3 lbs.:claphigh:

#2 Justitia, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm participating in a commercial challenge whose rules stipulate that I can't track progress on other fitness sites, but I'm with you in spirit.

4. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Wow! Matt - thank you :love:

Are you able to disclose the challenge you are participating in? Is it possible to view your progress online?

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

2018/05/21 Monday
    Just finished the Cybex Arc Trainer workout.
    45 min
    Resistance = 30 (that's low for me - it's where I start when I first start back to cardio. Eventually get up to 42-45)
    Distance = 1.09 (<- Doesn't mean much, as this is eliptical cross-training style.)
    HR = 138
    Cal burned = 226 (doesn't mean much but since they report it based on my weight - 151lbs as of yesterday.)

2 days in a row, 2nd day this week :-)

#5 Justitia, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  6. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

2018/05/23 Wednesday
    Did cardio on the treadmill
    Duration: 45 min (+ 5 min cooldown)
    Incline = 3 (<- I don't know what this number represents. I know I can set the incline from 0 to 10 at 0.5 increments.)
    Speed = 3 MPH
    Calories Burned: 246 (<- though this means nothing either -- as they didn't even ask my weight - or my height.)

Couldn't do cardio yesterday b/c too busy. But today represents 3 times this week so far and we are only on Day 4 of the week.

:dance:

macdiver likes this.
  7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I've decided to join you. While I don't need to reboot I need to be consistent. I posted the following in my journal.

Yesterday evening I saw a runners world run streak challenge to run every day between Memorial day and July 4th. While I didn't run yesterday so I officially can not enter, I am going to do it anyways starting today. The run must be a minimum of 1 mile to count. I'm going to stick to the plan I had of ramping up to 5 miles on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday with a 10 Miller on Saturday. I will lift on Wednesday and Friday. I will run 1 mile as a warm-up before lifting. Mondays will be an easy run day of 1 to 3 miles instead of yoga or rest. This should really help with my consistency. I know I just ran a marathon a month ago but my peak milage week was 24 miles and that was with a 16 mile longrun. Maybe I could break the magical 4 hour mark if I ran the recommended 40 to 50 miles per week.

I will update this thread every Sunday with my total weekly # of runs and milage. It just occurred to me that I need to make sure that Garmin connect starts a week on moMond and ends on Sunday.

8. macdiver

Bronze Member

Weekly update:

6 days out of 6
    6 runs this week.
    Because I forgot my watch for the Thursday run, I'm going to round the totals.

22 miles in 3:30 for an average pace of 9:55.

#8 macdiver, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  9. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Ran 5 km in 40 minutes today on treadmill.

macdiver likes this.
  10. macdiver

Bronze Member

Weekly update. 13 runs in 13 days.

This week was 7 runs for 15.4 miles. I did a bike ride yesterday for cross training so I only ran the minimum 1 mile. That is why my mileage is lower this week.

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

20 runs in 20 days

7 runs last week for 18.5 miles. I only ran 3 miles on Tuesday and Thursday. Today was a bike ride but I did my 1 mile run after.

12. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hi, everyone.... been AWOL.
    But since June started:

Week 6/3:
    Tues - Cardio -My first Spin class since back surgery, 2nd ever, a version of my gym's called Brick Biking... right now I am just making myself last the 30 min to build up endurance - not always able to do the full high-Intensity parts.

Week 6/10:
    Tues - Cardio - Brick Biking: 30 min not full hi intensity intervals but slightly better than last time
    Fri - Cardio - Cybex Arc Trainer 750 AT: 45 min, Resistance = 40, Dist: 0.96 mi, HRM: 130 bpm
    Sat - Cardio - Brick Biking: 30 min, not full hi intensity intervals but slightly better than last time

Week 6/17:
    Mon - Cardio - Treadmill: 45 min + 5 min cool-down, Incline=3, Max Speed =3.0 mph, Dist: 2.3 mil, HRM:137 bpm
    Tues - Cardio - Brick Biking: 30 min not full hi intensity intervals but slightly better than last time
    Wed - Cardio - Cybex Arc Trainer 750 AT: 45 min, Resistance = 30, Dist: 1.10 mi, HRM: 129 bpm

So I am increasing my frequency of cardio. I hope to get to doing it 6 times a week. Swolecat, if you remember him, advocated 7 days a week - but I think the best I can tolerate with consistency is 6 times a week. In my previous days - except for a short time in a challenge - I never made it over 3 days per week.

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, made it to do Brick Biking (a form of Spin class) again today.. getting better and better at it. Able to keep up the high intensity intervals for a longer and longer portion of them.. Stamina and strength are growing. I noticed the "miles" I was supposed to have "biked" in this 30 min session - it was 7 miles. I feel ready to keep track of that.

So here are my stats so far for this week:

Week 6/17:
    Mon - Cardio - Treadmill: 45 min + 5 min cool-down, Incline=3, Max Speed =3.0 mph, Dist: 2.3 mil, HRM:137 bpm
    Wed - Cardio - Cybex Arc Trainer 750 AT: 45 min, Resistance = 30, Dist: 1.10 mi, HRM: 129 bpm
    Thurs - Cardio - Brick Biking: 30 min not full hi intensity intervals but slightly better than last time - 7 miles.

That is 4 days! in a row for cardio! Am so happy!

I want to bring in a heart rate monitor so I can keep track of my heart rate.