1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Cardio before bed?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by badmatt, Oct 13, 2005.

1. badmatt

badmatt Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've been wondering about doing cardio about an hour or so before I go to bed. Is that a good idea? I'd like to do it before bed, but I won't if it keeps me awake or anything else like that.

Thanks

2. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

You can do it and see if it keeps you up. I don't think it will keep you up unless you take a stimulant or something before doing your cardio (such as coffee).

3. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Speaking for myself, i'd be up half the night.

4. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

I think this is something you're going to have to figure out for yourself badmatt.... personally I can do cardio and go right to sleep after... but like doordude said, he can't... just try it for a few days and see how your body reacts... that's all you can do... there is no right or wrong way/time to do cardio... just do it ;) :tucool:

5. badmatt

badmatt Well-Known Member

OK, I'll try it out tonight and see how I do. Luckily, I've no class tomorrow so it won't matter if I sleep in (in case I can't fall asleep).

6. Glaive

Glaive Well-Known Member

When I first started doing cardio I ran at night. Didn't seem to affect my sleep too much, but then again I was always somewhat of a night owl.

I did notice that when I started doing fasted cardio in the morning I seemed to be losing pounds faster, though.

7. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

I've tried fasted/non-fasted am/mid-day/pm etc.. They all work to an extent, and obviously you will burn up extra calories, but...

I definitely notice that doing the cardio in the morning, or even afternoon to be 'better' than just before bed.

Having said that, when the evenings were the only time I had, it was still valuable for fat loss.

8. D.A.C.

D.A.C. Well-Known Member

I usually do a quick run (12 minutes, slightly over 1.5 miles) shortly before bed. Doesn't seem to be me keeping awake.

But that's me. ;)

9. Frozenorb

Frozenorb Well-Known Member

How it was for me, exactly.

10. Savyart

Savyart Well-Known Member

There is speculation that even if you are able to sleep after an evening cardio session, that it can still distrub your sleep cycles. So, pay attention to whether or not you feel RESTED over actually being able to fall asleep. (though the latter is important, obviously. :) )

11. Diablito

Diablito Well-Known Member

I do my cardio late at night and go to bed about an hour later with no problems. I do HIIT. So, I'm exhausted by the time I'm done, but I feel well rested the next day.

12. 4mykids

4mykids Well-Known Member

That's what I have experienced as well. I do my cardio 1.5 hours before bedtime. I'm exhausted and go right to sleep. I'm out like a light. But that's just me.

13. 1esotericguy

1esotericguy Well-Known Member

When I do cardio at night, I'm always the worst kind of tired: exhausted, BUT CAN'T SLEEP. I still do it though. Eyes on the prize. Luckily I'm bulking with no cardio now, so sleep is good.