1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Carbohydrates?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by caden, Mar 26, 2009.

1. caden

caden Active Member

If I'm trying to lose fat should I eat more or less carbohydrates? I run like 20 - 50 minutes a day.

2. adamh707

adamh707 Well-Known Member

You should eat with your required calorie deficit to loose weight. Carbs are not the devil, fat doesn't turn you into the Nutty Professor and 180grams of protein a day won't help you look like Hercules. These are myths.

However, I suggest you read Gravity Homers fatloss guide for tips on loosing weight. Have you considered weight training?

Without knowing more information about you, we cannot possibly begin to give you proper advice.

3. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

As long as your carb sources are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, then I would eat as many calories and carbs as I could and still lose fat.

I see no point in restricting your carbs if you are working out hard, eating correctly and losing fat.

4. adamh707

adamh707 Well-Known Member

You say no point in restricting your carbs if you working out hard, then contradict that statement with - as long as your eating correctly.

The sad fact is, yes you do have to restrict your carbs and your calorie intake if you want to lose fat. Some people will get lucky and drop some fat while eating at maintenance and weight lifting. Eating correctly means, don't gourge yourself on potatoes at 6pm, grapes and fruit. Your comment "may" be misunderstood.

At the moment, our OP is just running.

To the OP.

We need to know information about you. What your current diet looks like, you physical stats, what sort of equipment you have access to and whether you have any photo's so that we can understand where your coming from.

Adam.

5. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Not enough info to provide any sort of good answer.

6. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

I never mentioned that you don't have to restrict calories. I only said "carbs." I realize that in most cases you have to be on a caloric deficit to lose weight, but you do not in fact, need to cut carbs. As long as your nutrition supports your activity level, then reducing carbs is not necessary to lose weight. It is simply one of the methods that you can employ.

My point is that I would try to eat the maximum amount of carbs and calories, which still allowed for weight loss. If you can safely lose weight at 300g of carbs and 2800 calories per day, I see no reason to eat less of anything, providing its healthy foods.

7. why_not_fandy

why_not_fandy Active Member

To lose weight you generally need to have a negative energy balance. Energy units in nutrition are measured in kilocalories (called Calories with a big "C"). One gram of protein contains about 4 Calories. One gram of Carbohydrate contains about 4 Calories, and one gram of fat contains about 9 Calories.
    The current school of thought most Nutritionists hold for weight loss is that it doesn't matter what macronutrient (fats, proteins, of carbs) you cut, so long as you have a negative energy balance.

8. caden

caden Active Member

Yeah I understand you have to have a calorie deficit I just didn't know if carbs make you fat like sugar or whatever.

I run on an elliptical sometimes and sometimes I run outside around a lake that's 2.5 miles long and it takes me about 22 minutes to complete it. Will that benefit me at all or should I be running longer than that?

I just want to eventually lose fat from everywhere and get 6 pack abs and I know you gotta have about 10%-11% body fat or lower to see your abs. I just heard that if you run a lot you should include a lot of carbs in your diet.

I want a body like in this picture the guy on the right:
    http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/Caden_/?action=view&current=abercrombie_london.jpg

Is there like a certain diet you should eat to get like that or does it just depend on your body?

Also as far as eating carbs go, if I'm trying to look like that should I eat a lot of carbs or just a little or what? Sorry if that's a dumb question I don't really understand how carbs and everything works.

Also what kind of foods should I get carbs from? Is bread ok?

Thanks

9. euan

euan Active Member

The best method of cardio gets argued to death. HIIT vs steady state cardio vs no cardio? Just do whatever you enjoy. For me personally, cardio is low priority - nutrition and weight lifting are always going to be more important.

Ultimately, genetics determine things like that. But genetics ain't an excuse for not working hard. You may never look the exact same as him, but eat right, lift right and work hard and you'll be able to build a body you are proud of :tucool:

In general you want to avoid excessive amounts of carbs with the exceptions of breakfast and before/after workouts (although there are some people who thrive on high carb diets). Focus on fibrous carbs (vegetables) and less-refined carbs such as oats. The problem with bread, even wholewheat, is that it is quite heavily processed. It's by no means the worst thing you can eat - but there are more optimal choices :)

10. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Agree with Foley, however - if you food sources are clean and you are getting "enough" protein (1g per lb of lean mass) - your total calorie intake vs. calories burned is what will determine you weight loss. Certain percentages may work better for certain people.

My guess is that you are a younger member, so I'd focus on weightlifting and increasing your lean mass with a slight caloric surplus (and thereby lowering your BF%). At 5'10" and 160, the abs you want aren't likely in there yet.

11. caden

caden Active Member

Sorry those stats are incorrect I haven't updated them in awhile. I'm 5'11" and 170lbs. Gonna try to get down to 160lbs.

12. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Where can I find a Nutritionist that says that? I will eat M&Ms only washed down with coke. But I will keep a "Negative energy balance". :whistle:

13. Brian Golden

Brian Golden Well-Known Member

:tucool:

14. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The biggest downfall with this is the hunger you experience from the insulin spikes and the caloric density and lack of fibre in the food. If you can get over this, it's a viable form of weight loss, yes. Still, I'm not sure if it would be recommended by a nutritionist as anything a person should do to become more healthy. And, I don't think it would be very forgiving to your muscle mass either. :cry: