1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Can't seem to lose weight - critque my workout plan

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by boarderman2112, Oct 7, 2009.

1. boarderman2112

boarderman2112 Active Member

I've been actively working out since last June and was athletic and worked out in college. Lately though I can't seem to lose any weight. For the past 8 weeks I've worked out at least 4 times a week (up to 6 some weeks), have ate better (been careful to not increase portion size), but have gained 3-4 lbs.

I do weights on MWF with cardio T and R.

Weights: M: Chest+triceps
    W: Back+biceps
    F: Shoulders+arms
    I've changed this around every 3 or so weeks to not get in a rut and keep the muscles guessing

Cardio: Running 7.5mph 25min (3miles) + 20min biking (about 7.5 miles).

What should I do different to get the scale to go down?

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 203lb

2. George

George Senior Member

Diet's going to make or break you. I would look at that first. :)

Also, start training legs and train them with intensity. They are the biggest muscles in your body. Do not neglect them.
    Unless that's a typo and you meant shoulders and legs on Friday?

3. boarderman2112

boarderman2112 Active Member

I don't have a direct leg workout day with weights. I'm going to add that in as a next step to get ready for snowboard season (only 7 weeks away!) and to change the plan up a bit. Typically I work my legs with running/biking and I do plyometrics once a week. I make sure to do a lot of core work in all my workouts (free weights and 12min abs 2-3 times a week) to keep the hips strong and don't have chicken legs.

4. George

George Senior Member

Good. Running/cycling are really not enough to hit your legs, IMO. I would also consider not training arms again on Friday if you're already doing bi/tri work earlier in the week.

Again, I just want to reiterate that diet is going to be the most important factor when it comes to fat loss. I would check out the sticky posts at the top of the beginner's forum to get some good information on that.

5. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

The contradiction is in the title: Can't seem to lose weight - critque my workout plan<-- replace with diet.

George is right.... the diet should be the first thing you are looking at.

6. Minder Thr33

Minder Thr33 Active Member

I gotta agree with diet and leg work being the big changes you should look at.

If you cut calories alone, you should drop weight. Adding weight training for the legs helps big time. I talk from personal experience.