1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Canoscans Bulk Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by canoscan, Oct 30, 2006.

1. canoscan

canoscan Well-Known Member

This is a bit late, I actually started my bulk about 2 weeks ago. Anyways, Hi, Im Canoscan. I had originally wanted to get rid of a bit of fat that I had, but, I have no real muscle mass, so I'd probably end up looking like a skeleton or something. So I decided to bulk, and while at first, eating alot of food was kind of hard, I guess my stomach has stretched a bit to accomodate.

Starting Stats:

Ht: 5'11
    Right Upper Arm:10.25"
    Right Thigh: 20"
    Chest: 34"
    Weight: 162 Lbs.

Training: For the last 2 Weeks I've done the following routine.

3 X 12 Dumbbell Squat

3 X 12 Leg Curl

3 X 12 Bench Press

3 X 12 One Arm Row

3 X 12 Shoulder Press

3 X 12 Biceps Curl

3 X 12 Triceps Extension

I'm going to have to take a short break from lifting, because I think I injured my shoulder. Or at least, it hurts the back of my left shoulder when I squat. I think it might've been how I was handling the weight before the actual set.

Edit. Heres a picture. [​IMG]

#1 canoscan, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  2. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

hello fellow canadian!!

I think you are right.... sounds bulking is a great idea.. if you train hard, you might be able to add some muscle while loosing fat (if you are just starting out, so take advantage of it)

how is your diet?

you said you are taking time off lifting all together or just doing some shoulder work?

good luck!! :tu:

3. canoscan

Thanks.

Forgot to mention the diet. Im eating about 2800 calories a day. Im taking a bit of time of lifting, because I hurt my shoulder today. So i'll see how it feels on wednesday. Though it only hurts when I have a dumbbell in my hand. I might switch the dumbbell squats to Hack Squats or something.

4. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

What about squats with a barbell? Get your shoulder checked and start with lighter weight..sometihng....because ...hmm...:confused: how can you bulk without training hard? :cry:

5. canoscan

For the last 2 weeks I was training hard. And eating alot. But I think I picked up the dumbbells all weird today. And I was thinking about using a barbell, though because I'm not a gym member yet (i want to join the gym at my school, but I'm embarassed about being such a newbie), I would have to clean it over my head first. I'll see how it feels on wednesday though.

6. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Don't be embarassed.... maybe get few sessions with a (good!) trainer, it helps so much!!!

I know how it is to pick up the dumbells the wrong way, I did that too while ago and that's how I messed up my shoulder too.
    My word of advice... concentrate what and how you do everything, I see people chatting all the time while doing sets.... I just dont get it :confused: .
    I have to concentate before the set and while performing it.

About aquats: pick up the bar from the rack, like walk under the bar and rest it on your shoulders and step forward.

Good luck!!!!!

PS. Keeo us updated!

7. canoscan

w00t. I got to workout today. My shoulder was a little stiff, but it's weird, it only hurt a bit during squats. But the workout was pretty good. Though I think I might have too many exercises. I've been reading starting strength, but I'm not sure how to set up the program considering I'm relatively weak right now, and with warmup sets and stuff. Though I'm going to stay on the program I'm on now for the next 3 weeks and then try a Waterbury routine. or something.

(edit) I've apparently gained 6.4 lbs while keeping bodyfat the same. And I don't look any different. Weird.

#7 canoscan, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  8. canoscan

Today I had to cut my workout short because I was running late. And tomorrow morning I'll have my new stats up.

9. canoscan

Woo. New Measurements and a new picture.

Anyways, the measurements are:

Right Arm: 10.75
    Right Leg: 21
    Chest: 34.5

Weight: 165.4

And the Picture
    Though it just looks like to me that I've gained fat instead of muscle.

#9 canoscan, Nov 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  10. canoscan

I think I'm going to change the rep scheme next week (from 3X12 to 4X8 to stay close to the hypertrophy guidelines from Set Rep Bible) or I'll start a real routine. I don't know which Waterbury routine I should try though.

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Show us your diet in detail please. Times, foods, amount of foods, etc. :)

Also, I agree with Blue. I strongly recommend a gym membership and barbell squats. :tucool:

12. canoscan

This is one of the days for my meal plan. While not exactly the same, all of the days are very similar. The times aren't listed though. But usually I eat first meal at 7-8, second meal at around 11 (no other time because of class from 9-10:30. Third meal at 1-3 (depends on which day, shave classes that end at 2) fourth meal is at around 4 to 5. Last meal is around 7-8. Sometimes I do run a bit late (eating last meal at 9-10), but usually I'm ok.

#12 canoscan, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  13. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

For the most part it's not too bad. If you think fat gain is coming in more than muscle (hard to tell from the pics), I would increase protein and slightly reduce carbs.

Get your carbs from oats, brown rice, and sweet potatoes more than you are, and less from bread/bagels.

And definitely, definitely, definitely eat some vegetables. :)

But honestly you don't look like you're gaining a lot of fat to me, hard to say. Besides, it has not been that long since you started. I think you need to give a program at least 4-5 weeks before making too many changes.

14. canoscan

Yeah, I was going to wait till the 5th week to change the rep scheme (to vary things up a bit) while still keeping the same basic exercises (when I start going to the gym at my school I'll add barbell squats, I don't have the equipment at home for them.

15. canoscan

Next I will take a full week off training. My shoulder is still acting up. I think the week after that, I'll change the rep scheme.

16. canoscan

Even though I really should take the week off next week, I don't really want to. Even though right now there's not a noticeable size difference, I have gotten so much stronger (or at least more efficient) in the last month of lifting. And almost every workout I just have to add more weight. It's an awesome feeling. I can't wait till the weekend for my 19th birthday. Woot me.

17. canoscan

For today and tomorrow, I'm not following my meal plan. I decided this, because since it's my birthday and I'm going to be out with my friends for most of it, it would be harder then it's worth. And I don't consider it blowing my plan because, it's just two days.

18. canoscan

Tomorrow I'm back on my meal plan. I had a hard night of drinking last night (I never really drink, it was just for my birthday). So no more drinking like that for a while.

19. canoscan

I really can't wait till the week is over so I can start training again. And hopefully my shoulder will be pain free.

20. canoscan

God damn a week with no training has been long. It's felt like a month or something. Can't wait till tomorrow.