1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Can you gain muscle at the gym's group classes?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by GatorDeb, Sep 3, 2010.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I just completed four week of BodyPump

http://www.lesmills.com/westcoast/bodypump/about-bodypump.aspx

One hour per class, three classes per week, with at least one day in-between.

Do you think you can gain muscle in such a class? And if you can, can you gain MORE and more importantly SUBSTANTIALLY more in the SAME amount of time out on the gym floor?

Thoughts?

2. George

George Senior Member

If you're a beginner, yes.
    I think so.

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think so too.

I think when you're exercising with an aim to improve performance and/or to work to your absolute maximum benefit according to your goals, you can't get that as well in a group environment that's designed to "fit" everyone in the class. The advantage of group classes is the instruction (if you're not sure on how to do something), the pleasure of interacting with others, and the motivation of keeping at it to save face.

Outside of a class, you ideally would lift at a weight that is more challenging for you to move and that might result in some failed attempts. The cardio aspect of a weight lifting session should be minimal, so that a maximum amount of your fuel and energy can go towards your muscles rather than your cardiovascular system.

What you're looking for, hypertrophy, is typically achieved in the rep ranges of 8-12 reps per set, and 2 to 4 sets per exercise, where you are reaching failure or near failure in each set.
    http://www.musclehack.com/the-power-of-the-anabolic-window/

4. odin1642

odin1642 Active Member

Not much.

Big muscles needs moving heavy weights and bodypump is high rep light weight stuff.

Low reps and heavy weight seems to be the best for adding muscle in my experience, heavy weight and about 3-6 reps.

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

It makes sense that something tailored to you would be better.

I mentioned to a gym instructor that I wasn't doing the BP anymore and she asked why and when I told her she got all upset at me :(