1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Can you believe it!?! Justitia's 70! But don't worry -- I plan to return to being heavenly :-)

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Justitia, Apr 27, 2018.

1. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

that's got to be tough to swallow.... that your hard work will benefit someone who isn't deserving. but it's definitely great of you to do. props. :bow:

glad to see you hitting the gym and working on those positive habits. keep it up!! better days ahead!

Seltzer likes this.
  2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good job. Many times I have that feeling, but I don't think there ever has been a time that I was sorry I went. I always feel better when I am leaving, then when I came in.

3. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Hey there. I may be back too, at least somewhat. I'm glad you're still here! :dance:

4. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey, J_W - so glad to see you here :claphigh:

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So last week - I did pretty well re: Cardio
    Week 6/17:
    Sun - Zip
    Mon - Cardio - Treadmill: 45 min + 5 min cool-down, Incline=3, Max Speed =3.0 mph, Dist: 2.3 mil, HRM:137 bpm
    Tues - Cardio - Brick Biking: 30 min not full hi intensity intervals but slightly better than last time
    Wed - Cardio - Cybex Arc Trainer 750 AT: 45 min, Resistance = 30, Dist: 1.10 mi, HRM: 129 bpm
    Thurs - Cardio - Brick Biking: 30 min not full hi intensity intervals but slightly better than last time - 7 miles.
    Fri - Zip

Sat - Cardio - Treadmill: 45 min + 5 min cool-down, Incline=4, Max Speed =3.0 mph, Dist: 2.31 mil, HRM:135 bpm. As I said on my Challenge Thread -- first time in over 10 years that I made it to the gym for cardio 5 out of the 7 days.

Today - I made it to BodyPump. That's how I started weight-lifting in the early 2000's - actually over in Belgium when I was living there. When I discovered John Stone Fitness, with all the wisdom I found here... I started to lift weights on my own -- first starting with Swolecat and then Mastover. And with help from a lot of other JSF members -- one I remember most fondly Chicanerous (he was a teenager then -- he must be in his 30's now... :spaz:) -- I went on to my own weight-lifting program.

But now BodyPump has become entwined with a cardio element - to get your heart-rate up. So very little heavy lifting. But it's a start....

So here is the start of this week beginning Sunday 6/24/2018:

Sun - Zip
    Mon - Cardio - Zip, BodyPump - yes, Sleep - 6.5 hrs (way too little for me), Weight 153 lbs

When I was in my best "senior" shape, down to a size 8, thanks to JSF - my weight was 149 lbs. In the past two years, going through first grief - I lost 20 lbs getting down to 142 lbs and then regained a lot of it and then back surgery, and down to 144 lbs and now having regained 10 of that -- my skin, my belly and generally my overall body has flab. So though I am only 4 lbs above my former JSF fit level, I am quite a bit away from that level of fitness and appearance.

I am hoping as I rebuild muscle and cardiovascular fitness, the flab and gut will go away - or at least a lot of it. And i hope my butt will rebuild -- it has just gone almost flat..... Do they say you can never be too old!?! Let's hope so!! :-)

dejavued likes this.
  6. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    :dreamy:

7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So this week beginning Sunday 6/24/2018, with one more day:

Sun - Zip
    Mon - Cardio - Zip, BodyPump - yes, Slep - 6.5 hrs (way too little for me), Weight 153 lbs
    Tues - Spin biking
    Wed - DOMS!!!! I could barely walk. a muscle in my lower inner thigh leading up to the knee was so painful and continued to get more painful...
    Thurs - Spin - DOMS still really bad. Explained to my Spin instructor the pain. She said to stretch in a particular way and I said I had been doing that - so she had me show her and she suggested a tiny tweak, literally an inch difference, and it made all the difference and the DOMS went away within hours.
    Fri. - zip - I had planned to my Cybex Arc Trainer cardio in the AM and Yoga in the PM and couldn't get myself to go:rolleyes:

I miss John Stone.... is Facebook really that much more fun? I am not interested.... and I am sad it has taken away so many of our JSF'rs. :kickrock:

#27 Justitia, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Interesting about the slight change in the stretch making that much of a difference. It is great that it worked for you.

Regarding Facebook, I don't think it is fun any more. First I use it primarily to keep up with my family and friends who are spread across the US. I also enjoy a lot of the funny videos and memes. However, since the last campaign and election, it is nothing but a big political fight anymore. Now, I'm as guilty as the next person as I post my views frequently and try to point out facts to others. I need to stop political posts and get back to kitten videos. :angel:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's really something about the seemingly minor stretching adjustment, but I'm glad to read you're feeling better.

10. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I didn't go to the gym yesterday but I hope today..... :-)

EDIT: Nope....:rolleyes:

#30 Justitia, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  11. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Regarding John Stone, I wonder when his review of the Body Force X9 gym is going to come out.

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Plans to go today?

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Tomorrow - Monday....

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :tucool:

15. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Didn't make it to Cardio but did make it to Body Pump. My stamina needs improving.... I couldn't stay with it for all the exercises. I almost didn't go. It was amazing how easy it was to talk myself out of going.... But I realized what I was doing and went.

Now I have to my estate tasks today.

Also, today is when I am starting eat really healthy -- I went shopping yesterday at Whole Foods to buy all the organic stuff I need to sart cooking again.. It is hard for me to let go of the fruit -- I still bought fresh strawberries and blueberries and fresh figs... but that will be the last of it. I also bough 1/2 gallon of grass-fed A2 2% milk... which I know I have to let go of as well.

Looking sideways in the mirror s I worked out --- it is clear the loosing 20 lbs then gaining14 lbs and then losing 12 and then gaining it back while being fairly inactive over 2 years has induced "middle-aged spread". I can't believe/ I never thought I would look like this.... I hope I get back into form. My Body Pump instructor who is probably about 10 years younger has an amazing and adorable body and incredible high energy and flexibility. Between her and the picture below of Kelly Nelson at age 73 , who unfortunately passed away in 2011, who was my original inspiration 14 years ago to get into body building style of fitness, have to be my inspiration now.

[​IMG]

16. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Today is the first day I go back on my food plan in a year. I have prepared my 7 salads for lunch during the week and the pork loin chops for 2 of them. I still have to prepare the rest of the week'lunch proteins, the dinner veggies, and the dinner proteins.
    Today I am going to start a more full recoding of my physical state, following Shamie's example.

1. Sleep, not sure exactly but I had my first night skeep with only 1 wake-up. At least 8 hrs - first time in weejs.
    2. Weight - here it is - the most embarrassing: 155 lbs - down 1 lb from the weekend but up 13 lbs from my low of 142 of 18 mos ago (reached through early stages of grieving PGC's passing.)
    I plan to edit throughout the day to update.

17. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, today Thursday is the day I am back on my food plan though not perfectly - still very good. Glad I find my meals delicious once again.

The gym was closed yesterday b/c of Wed July 4th. And I couldn't get my butt in gear to trek over to the yoga studio in the AM while it was still open.

I live on the top floor of a 30 story high rise and have always had a wonderful 180-degree view of the city through to the horizon and in particular the July 4th and New Year's Eve fireworks. Over time other tall buildings have been built that have been nipping away my view of the harbor where the fireworks are but there has always been a section left clear so I could still see the fireworks -- that is until this year. Finally, a highrise has been built this year that has closed off the view to that section of the horizon.

So for the first time, I decided to go with a friend to the waterfront to watch the fireworks. I've never done it here in the 25 years I've been living here -- and I hate crowds. But I learned of a place that is not that well attended to and that is where we went.

And it was quite pleasant -- and different watching the fireworks by looking up and being closer to them. And for some reason this year, they must have gotten a fireworks "artist" to design the display.... because it was absolutely beautiful. the timing, the colors, the degree and nature of the explosions, complimenting each other -- it was like watching a visual animated work of art. Everyone there watching was in awe and at the end, everyone broke out in roaring applause, they were so moved. I have never experienced that with fireworks in my life. it was also incredibly relaxing.

Today, I had a pretty good night sleep I believe at least 7 hrs. I finished preparing all my meals for the week. I made it to the gym for a 30 min spin class but the person teaching it indicated that he thought he might have injured a disk so was taking it very easy.

But still, though I was better at keeping up than previous times (always the case, thank goodness) I am surprised how fatigued my leg muscles get. I don't know if it is just because I've been so inactive the last two years, my age, the consequences of the last intrusive surgery form which full healing is not possible... I don't know.

I also walked a 2 different point a total of a little more than a mile.

Calories - 1181, Protein 86 grams, Carbs 87g, Fat 55g. Though I am about to pig out on some strawberries and blackberries.

And then go to bed.....

dejavued likes this.
  18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That is a shame that your view was obstructed by new buildings, but good you got to see the fireworks from a different location than you normally do. The new buildings must be pretty tall to block a 30 floor view.

Kudos on your nutrition yesterday. If I ate like that, I would reach my goal weight in no time.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bummer about your view now being obstructed, but it was nice to read that you were able to enjoy the holiday festivities.

Kudos for getting to spin class and if you're going to pig out there are far worse choices than blueberries and strawberries. :tucool:

20. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I am back! And I am grumpy :oops:
    I want this day to be the start of eating absolutely clean and working out.
    Week beginning Mon July 9
    Weight: 156 lbs.
    Sleep: 6 hrs
    I keep being woken up by pains as a result of this latest back surgery. Months later, the incision still hurts, it hurts to breathe deeply and walking cause twinge pains and sitting cause shooting pains. Now there is a new pain deep in my right butt cheek-- it doesn't feel like the usual problems stemming from back issues - so I am not sure what it is. I am seeing my PC next week and I know she'll be very good at following up.

I also think I am being woken by the sunrise. My bedroom faces directly east and has an uninterrupted view over the city of the eastern horizon (except to right end where my view is now blocked so I can no longer see the harbor. - as I have complained about before :() And my bedroom has wall-to-wall windows that go from high ceiling to a couple of feet off the floor. I have vertical blinds to block the sun - but two broke off recently at the very end. It allows the sun to shine through, though just at the very end. It is extremely bright, however, and lights up that section of the wall and I think it is enough to wake me up. The sun comes up so early during daylight savings time 5:48 AM and I've been waking up at 6:15 pretty consistently lately, even after only 2 hrs of sleep. I put up a vertical kilim (flatweave woven by a nomad tribe) to help block it but it didn't do much good.
    Breakfast:
    Very healthy protein shake I make myself: Everything Organic- Grass-fed Native Whey and Micellar Casein, dark cocoa, Heavy cream and banana: Protein 46 g, Carbs 25g, Fat 14 g, Calories: 400​

Lunch:
    My "Mastover" salad :dreamy: (all organic: romaine, red, yellow & green peppers, Vidalia onion, jicama, red radish, cremini mushrooms, carrots, grape tomatoes and sunflower sprouts), 1 oz of herb goat cheese, 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs, organic Lemon Shallott salad Vinaigrette: Protein 39 g, Carbs 14 g, Fat 25 g, 427 calories.
    Snack: 1/2 oz potato chips :o Protein 2 g, Carbs 8 g, Fat 3.5 g, Calories 70

Dinner: 1 bagel, 12 oz strawberries, 1 banana...:o Protein 14 g, Carbs 110 g, Fat 3 g, Calories 490

(I didn't eat my planned dinner - :--( )

Total: Protein: 100.5 g, Carbs 158 g, Fat 45 g, Calories - 1,395.

Workout:
    1 hr Body Pump class. As I mentioned in an earlier post, thye have made it more "cardio" inclusive so to speak. Here is a link to a 30 sec video which gives a pretty good sense of how the work outs work.
    I sort of suspect that there is not going to be much nmuscle building with htis routine. The instructor is as agile uses much heavier weights during the exercises. My guess is she is in her early 60's. She is slim and trim and is bursting with energy like a teenager. But her muscle, while there, is not impressive at all. She doesn't look scrawny or anything like that, she just doesn't look flabby and all muscle but a "normal" amount. There is another instructer probably in her late 30's - who has solid muscle. She also teaches a body pump class but I haven't made it to hers yet -- but i take my spin classes from her.

I know that what I am doing now: Body Pump twice a week, Spin 3 times a week, is not going to build much in the way of muscle. I am not even sure if it is going to burn much in the way of fat.

But I believe it is re-building my endurance and flexibility. The Body Pump classes do cause my muscles in different parts of my thighs to fatigue out - which forces me to to take 30 sec breaks - and towards the very end of the hour I poop out and can't finsih the workout.

Today I increased the bar bell weight from 2.2 lbs ((1 kil) on each end to 4.4 lbs (2 kil) for all the lifting and squat eand tricep xercises and tricep. I used 3lb free weights for the biceps. I know that's very piddling but starting very slow and very easy seems wise. But there is some increase and progress.

A startling thing I am realizing is that I have forgtten how to bend - in the sense I've become so guarded to protect my body in the last couple of years with the various back and hip issues - I've made myself stiff. So I am not able to get ATG on squats yet, but I am getting closer to horizontal.

I will update my food when I eat dinner.

I hope I get myself to go to bed early and start a nighly routine.
    :)

#40 Justitia, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018