1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Can you believe it!?! Justitia's 70! But don't worry -- I plan to return to being heavenly :-)

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Justitia, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, I know I need an updated picture for my avatar. The current on is ten years old. But i am not ready yet to get pictures taken. It has been a brutal two years and particularly the last few months, going through really invasive and altering back surgery.

But to see old familiar faces responding to my resurrecting today a very old thread of mine -- was heart-warming.

So maybe this time -- I will really be back. I got started on JSF after a heart-breaking break-up with a man I was living with in Belgium in 2004. Coming here really healed me.

Now I am dealing with the grief of the passing of the man I had an incredible 10 year relationship with (PGC). It's been two years (or will be this May 17th) since he died with me right there with him as he took his last breathes. And I've been through a roller coaster of emotions as well as physical medical problems.

This time I am facing a major recovery challenge. Not because of my age -- I still am incredibly strong - from a standing position, I can instantly squat down to my heels, feet are flat on the floor, and then pop right back up to a full standing position with zero assistance. And I can do that multiple times in rapid succession.

I am still quite strong. still high energy but it has pulled back slightly from my full capacity.

I am more scared about being out of aesthetic and physical shape. This last sojourn of back surgery has really taken it out of me; the stress and agonizing pain for 3 mos has caused my face to finally droop in places with folds from the bottom of my nose out to the jawline, passing the corners of my mouth.

I have always viewed that staying young was largely matters of willpower. All my willpower went to caring fo rPGC in his final years and then two years of intense malady stricken mourning

So this is different --- the question now is can i reverse the aging process to any extent. I've called up my willpower and we'll see.

But what better place to start.... with friends who are like family to me.

So see you... I am off to bed.

M@ and Merk like this.
  2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the roller coasters of emotion and stress, but you've come to the right place for support and healing.

And recipe ideas if you dip into Seltzer's blog.

Jaer
    loves seeing the return of the old school JSF crew.

Merk likes this.
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Jaer, thanks for the shout out.

Justitia, physically you're starting from a good base despite your recent medical issues. From experience I'll mention that starting slow-ish and giving your body time to acclimate is the way to go, no matter what your brain tells you. Why is it so much easier to give advice than follow it? :-)

4. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

that is amazing!!!!

i have NO doubt!

Merk likes this.
  5. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

I'm really looking forward to following along on this journey you are taking! I have no doubt that you can come back from this surgery, and we will all be here to provide support. Best wishes to you!

Merk and Seltzer like this.
  6. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah... I'm here too.

Merk likes this.
  7. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So, this past Thursday was May 17th - the 2-year anniversary of PGC's death. Something shifted in me during the 72 hours up to and including that day. I was dealing with a potentially unpleasant experience at work - but my prep for it not only defused the negative but actually created a very positive outcome in many fronts that had not been that way before. Probably because of the anti-climatic effect and the actual day of PGC's death following this success, I became pretty depressed. But that seems to have lasted only 48 hours as I feel determined today to wake up and start my day and life anew.

So with that in mind -- I want to make my first fitness commitment - which is to do some form of fasted Cardio in the AM at least 3 times a week - preferably M-W-F - with the hopes of getting up to 7 times a week -- something I only achieved once, over a dozen years ago on these boards, and only for about a month if that long.

So I have two versions of my cardio currently - one is on a Cybex Trainer - a form of elliptical cross-trainer but different from any I have ever been on.
    This is the model I think is currently in my gym 770AT Total Body Arc Trainer - Burn More Calories | Cybex - and it is amazing. It somehow magically puts zero pressure on one's joints yet gives one a strong a cardio workout as one wants.

The other is to go out and do a high-speed walk in the sun - which I don't get enough of but is not as good a cardio workout for me, as I can't run given my back recovery, and frankly have not thought it best on joints and spine, etc anyway.

I think I am going to do a combo. Go to the gym for my 45 min cardio on Cybex (alternating it, on different days, with treadmill 3mph walking on an incline) and then follow it up with a 1/2 mile walk down to a local Starbucks to get my favorite latte drink to drink on the way back. :-)

So i am going to go out today in a bit to start. And I think I will start a fitness challenge thread. :-)

I am not ready to get back on a food plan though I am sugar-free but hopefully will in a few weeks. And I have to plan my weight workout plan, carefully as i re-build my back strength.

So I am about to post my fitness challenge thread -- and maybe others will join.

M@ likes this.
  8. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well I made it to the gym!!!!:claphigh: I checked my fitness log and the last time I worked out was Dec 26 2017. That was just about when my shooting leg pains from my herniated disc started to manifest themselves. After that, it was 3 1/2 mos in bed with a major back surgery on Feb 12. I was formerly released back to " work", though the semester was over and nothing much for me to do. So today Sunday May 20 I did my first cardio work out.

It was on the Cybex arc trainer - I fatigued early but pushed myself through for 45 mins. After that I walk half a mile to a Starbucks shop to get my coffee drink. the guy made it incorrectly and I had to wait until he made other people's drinks. I gave up and walked the half-mile back which was all on increasing elevation.

So that was a pretty good workout and a good start.

I weighed myself expecting to find that I had put on weight since the last time I weighed myself about 10 days ago. But in fact, I lost 3 lbs!

My food was OK. I am not watching macronutrients right now. I had about 1/4 of a lb of shrimp in a creamy seasoning. And then later I had organic sugar-free cereal with about 2/3 cup of grass-fed A2 2 % milk covered with about 1/3 cup strawberries, 1/3 cup blackberries and 1/3 cup blueberries.

Only had 2 glasses of water today - but had 12 oz Tulsi herbal tea with a teaspoon of honey. I will probably get another glass of water in tonight.

And that's my workout and food today/

Merk likes this.
  9. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thank you, everyone, for your support!!

Merk likes this.
  10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Vitamin D + physical exercise + opportunity for deep thinking: Walking outside is awesome. Most of my distance runs through Baltimore included many stretches of this activity. :nod:

My last MBA course covered ethics and the legal framework of business and the professor was a practicing business attorney. I found the legal parts of the course fascinating and thought of you often. :o

Good to see you back! :spaz:

Merk likes this.
  11. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks, Matt! I am curious who the business lawyer is. Would you be willing to send me a private message as to the name?

dejavued likes this.
  12. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I think I PM'd you...first time trying it with this new layout. :confused:

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well, graduation for the school is today and I have to go. Plus a Skype meeting before that. No time for the gym today.

Also, soon after to start checking on my food -- more measured macros etc. I was so surprised that I lost weight instead of gaining it when I refused to weigh myself for 10 days -- that now I am eating a little too wildly. I am so into eating carbs, I deprived myself so long. I never used to be into carbs -- even as a kid - I would only eat animal protein and green veggies - my mom's salads being my favorite.

But soon I am going to have to stop this.

Have a great day everyone!

Merk likes this.
  14. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So made it to the Gym on Day 4 of the week

As I've said in earlier posts -- right no I am just focussing on cardio -- need to figure out a weight plan compatible with my recovery from surgery.

2018/05/23 Wednesday
    Did cardio on the treadmill
    Duration: 45 min (+ 5 min cooldown)
    Incline = 3 (<- I don't know what this number represents. I know I can set the incline from 0 to 10 at 0.5 increments.)
    Speed = 3 MPH
    Calories Burned: 246 (<- though this means nothing either -- as they didn't even ask my weight - or my height.)

Couldn't do cardio yesterday b/c too busy. But today represents 3 times this week so far and we are only on Day 4 of the week.

15. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So Dejavued -- I was looking for your fitness thread... Care to join me in a recovery bout? :nod: