1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone help me with total calories?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Jchem, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Jchem

Jchem Active Member

I'm 5'11, 220lbs, male, 33 years old and confused.

myfitnesspal tells me I need 1800 cals
    myplate tells me i need 2200 cals

Searching this site, people mention 9-13 x your body weight as a target.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a number.. I'm want to do this the right way, and am not necessarily in a hurry. I have been working out for a few years, and have a lot of muscle (and even more fat =P). But this is my first time taking nutrition seriously.

For the past week, I've been eating 1600 calories per day (based on bad info) and have lost 3 or 4 pounds. Been doing 45% carb, %35 protein, 20% fat. I'm now realizing that is not enough calories.

I'm training for a 10K so I run 3 or 4 times a week (2-5K per run), I also hit the gym 3x per week to lift (about 60 minutes each)

I've actually been pretty happy on 1600 calories per day, but based on what I've read here, I know I need more. but how much?

thanks!

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I use this site:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Your stats give me a BMR of 2114. (This is your maintenance number if you laid in bed all day and did *nothing*)

I use the Harris Benedict Equation, sounds like you do "hard exercise 6-7 times eper week....you have a multiplier of 1.725

You maintenance number is: ~3,650.

A 25% deficit is about 2,735 calories.

I am just giving you numbers....if your exercise isn't "intense" use a multiplier of 1.55 (which is what I use)

--

TL;DR

There isn't a perfect number....pick a calorie target and try it for a few weeks....if it isn't working, modify it.

But 1,600 calories I guarantee isn't enough.

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Generally agree with DN.

Were you just starting, I'd have said start at 2200 and see how that works and adjust after a couple weeks.

If 1600 had been working for you, then either hold steady there for up it a little bit and see how you do.

I have very similar stats to you, and I need to eat much below 2,000 to lose weight. The whole 3,000 maintenance cal has never worked for me.

Judge your diet on sustainability and success: how do you feel? Can you continue with it? Are you achieving your goals?

As you assess, if you start feeling bad or need a break or are no longer achieving, make changes.

Jaer
    feels diet is very individualized.

4. Terps01fan2006

Terps01fan2006 Active Member

Also, keep in mind your body is a smart thing. When you're hungry, eat. When you're not, don't force it down your piehole.

I think a lot of people get too caught up in counting calories, watching everything that goes in their mouth, trying to determine down to the exact number how many calories they burnt running for 30 mins, etc. I believe this is where a lot of people fall off the wagon, that's just too much work!

Listen to your body, eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not. It is really that simple, it just takes some toughness to put it into action.

I'm running ~75 miles a week and haven't lost a pound (not trying to), and have not counted one calorie in or out. Just listen to your body. When you're running, at 220 lbs, I'd say you're burning about 150-175 calories a mile, adjust for those days simply by throwing back a small snack/meal after your WO. PB&J sandwich, oatmeal, protein shake and bananna, etc. Also, I'd be willing to bet ~2200 is your maintenance caloric requirement for your stats.

To sum, eat when you're hungry. As long as the food is nutritious your body will thank you and feel satisfied (full.) Counting every calorie, although some can do it, to me is supefluous unless you're training for something extreme. Don't think of this as a "diet", think of it as a lifestyle change, after all you don't plan on counting calories your entire life!:gl: