1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Can protein powder be used past the 'best before' date?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by the_oct0ber, Jul 9, 2006.

1. the_oct0ber

the_oct0ber Well-Known Member

I have Myoplex choclate flavoured Whey protein powder.Best before date is 7/12/06.Is it ok to use it after that date?If yes,how long can I use it?I am gonna have protein shake all day for a a couple of days.But I have lots left. I just don't wanna waste them.Any ideas on how to use them?

2. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

It'll be good for months... don't worry about it.

3. the_oct0ber

the_oct0ber Well-Known Member

thanks.How many months is few months? is 6 ok?don't they degrade/go stale?

4. Costis

Costis Active Member

6 months??? How big is that tub of protein? The protein I buy usually lasts me a month or less. There's a reason for the "best by" date. Sure the protein will be fine most likely for a few extra months (better to be safe than sorry for the company), but if there is an expiration date, it is probably bound to go bad at some point. That said, like Hort mentioned, protein powder usually does last for a long time, so you might be fine. (And I'm sure you'll be able to tell by the taste if\when it does go bad. :whistle: )