1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Can I substitute Whole Milk for Heavy Cream in a Bread Recipe?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by astroguy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Yeah, Im on the Anabolic Diet, so fat is ok with moi! May have to give it a whirl someday, perhaps when I am cooking a sweeter treat.

2. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, the almond flour contributed about half the fat in the recipe, but there wasn't much fat to begin with (and only 1/2 cup was used). I actually liked the taste of the almond flour (though it was expensive). I don't like coconut, however.

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Be sure to check out the link I posted earlier in this thread. Alot of great recipes, and there is a guy on there who has really played with low carb bread recipes with great success.

4. Fitness_Wannabee

Fitness_Wannabee Active Member

It's amazing all the scare stories and studies about how one serving a day of whole milk will raise your LDL and give you a heart attack.

5. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Okay, this is my 3rd attempt to post a reply because Excel keeps freezing my computer. :mad:

My current version of my bout with making an edible high-protein bread is version 4. Version 5, since I have 1 slice of version 4 left, is in the oven.

Version 4's recipe is the following:
    2 tsp yeast
    8 oz skim milk
    4 oz water
    3/4 tsp salt
    1.5 Tbsp honey
    2 Tbsp walnut oil
    2.5 cups wheat gluten flour
    0.5 cups whole wheat flour
    0.25 cups wheat bran

1/20 loaf (1 slice) has 94 calories, comprised of 1.8 gms fat, 7.7 gms carbs, and 12.6 gms protein. It has a 16/32/52 macro split of f/c/p. And best of all, it still tastes like bread! Its texture is a little more chewey and the dough itself is much more elastic, but that's due to the high amount of wheat gluten. It's also denser than normal sandwich bread you'd pick up at a grocery store.

Version 5 will have 87 calories per slice, 1.4 gms fat, 7.1 gms carbs, and 12.5 gms protein. That's a 14/31/55 split.

6. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

Bread is a tricky, tricky science. Wheat gluten needs to be "broken down" or kneaded in order to give the bread like texture you are used to having. Also, you have to make sure the salt does not mix with the yeast prior to kneading, or your rise will not be right.

Coconut flour is an even more tricky science. It is very heavy and dense due to the high fiber content. It has almost 50 g of fiber per 1 cup. The general rule is that you only switch out a quarter of the total flour with coconut flour and then add the the same amount of liquid to the liquid all ready called for in the recipe.

I have a recipe that is wonderful, but it is not low carb. The entire loaf is 1875 KCal, 47g fat, 309g carbs, 41g fiber, and 25 protien. Usually we get about 10 slices from the loaf, but DH will eat half the loaf when it is warm. so you could get 12 slices if you sliced it thin. It would be easier to modify as it does not use wheat flour. I will post it and see if someone can modify it for you.

3 large eggs
    1.75 Cups of water
    2 Tbs oil
    2 Tbs Agave necter
    2 tsp vinegar
    1 tsp salt

1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/4 cup tapioca starch
    1/2 cup sorgham flour

1/4 cup sorgham flour (in addition to above)
    1/2 cup potato Starch
    1/4 cup corn starch
    2.5 tsp xanthum gum
    2.5 tsp yeast
    1/4 cup flax seed meal

Mix wet ingredients, then dry. Put in a 9x5 loaf pan and shape. Let rise in a turned off oven (about 80 min) bake at 350 for about 40 min.

or if you have a bread machine. Mix ingredients, put in bread machine loaf pan, put custom settings at 15 min. preheat, 55 min. rise and 58 min. bake.

The majority of the carbs without fiber come from the starches and I don't know how to sub those out with a higer fiber item. Maybe someone on here will.

Kat.