1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Can I keep my 36" waist from getting larger If I start putting on muscle?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by inurb, Apr 12, 2004.

1. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

I was 250 a few years ago and now I am at 192. The thing is I want to put on muscle and I am doing a regimen in which I lift 5 times a week three days for upper body and two days for abdominals and legs.

Now If I am gaining muscle what can I do to prevent my waist from getting larger? I threw out all my fat clothes and have purchased an entirely new wardrobe. I fit in them great, but I am scared my waist size is going to increase. I used to be a 44"waist and now I wear a 36". Any advice?
    Thanks

2. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Go slow. Try to gain a pound only every week or every other week. Most people find that when they gain muscle, they gain some fat. The leaner you are when you begin, the more likely it is that you can gain more fat and less muscle. If you are not yet lean enough to see your abs, you will probably gain a 50:50 or thereabouts mix of muscle and fat. If you are single digits body fat, you can gain more of a 80:20 or less depending on how "clean" you eat, timing, intensity of training, etc.

Let your pants be the guide. Continue to bulk until the 36" waist gets snug, then start your cutting phase. Although, honestly, if you are at a 36", I seriously think you should consider cutting more before you try to bulk.

CONGRATULATIONS for the amount you've lost so far! That's awesome! I went from a 44" waist at 245 to about 33 - 34" at 188 and then had to cut all the way to 178 (31" waist) to see abs and begin my bulking.

Jeremy

3. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

Great advice!
    I am 6' 4" so I guess I could be a little slimmer in the waist as well. Right now I have just been eating and lifting hard. If you suggest that I start cutting then that doesn't seem like a bad idea. I have yet to see my abs because there is still that layer of fat that prevents me from seeing them.

Thanks again, and congratulations to you too as well.

4. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

Jeremy I just got done looking at your site and it looks like its filled with great information. I read that pdf document as well. You really know your stuff. :claplow:

I have one question; if I am 6' 4" what should my waist size be? Should I hit 31" or hover around 34"?

5. JeremyLikness

It really depends on your bone structure. Believe it or not, your waist size is more correlated to the circumference of your wrist than your height. If you go here:

http://pages.zdnet.com/bodybuilder/id20.html

You can enter the circumference of your wrist and see the "ideal" measurements.

Glad you enjoyed the site! I have a lot of fun building the content there, some great writers that I get to work with! If you have any interest of sharing your story, let me know, I can never have enough inspiration for people to read in the Success Stories section!

Jeremy

6. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

I will check out that article. If you would like I have some before and after pics you could use if you think they are worthy.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Well-Known Member

A quick question for you, Jeremy. I truly appreciate all of your contributions to these forums, and for your website, there is some excellent content in both locations. Here's the question:

I have seen these ideal measurement calculators, primarily based on wrist size. I am curious what bf % they are based on. I am 6', currently 175, ~33" waist, somewhere around 15% bf. According to these ideal measurement calculators, my ideal waist size is around 30". I know you have to apply a little common sense to these generalized calculators and not everyone fits neatly into the calculations, but I was curious what bf % they base the "ideal" body shape around (6%, 8%?).

Thanks

8. JeremyLikness

That is a good question. There are several designed by bodybuilders, i.e. collecting Mr. America stats and applying those, so I would assume these are more the modern, bodybuilding body fat of 6 - 8 percent. The ones based on the Greek ideal are more towards what was possible at that time - which is probably more an 8 or 9 percent but some of the sculptures looked like they had access to some serious fat burning gods back then!

Jeremy

9. JennyLynn

JennyLynn Well-Known Member

Jeremy, do you know any sites like this for women? I was sad to see it's only for men. I'm interested to know my "ideal" measurements.

10. RoyPardo

RoyPardo Well-Known Member

I did the measurments, and my biceps should be 16 inches, man im going to look huge :claphigh:

11. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The "ideal" measurements are not that far off from how I want to look except for the another four inches to my chest - maybe half that. My lower body coorelates almost exactly.

12. JeremyLikness

JennyLynn, I do not ... but if I find one, I'll be the first to let you know!!! I'm sure there will be various versions, i.e. the ideal body measurements for women as designed by a man, as opposed to the same ones as designed by another woman. :)

Jeremy

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

inurb, I don't mean to jack the thread, but you might find this useful as well.
    Jeremy's link said my ideal bicep size should be 15.75. Is that rested or flexed? Same question for mybodycomp.com.
    I know that John says that the measurements he tracks on the site are "flexed, but cold".

14. mikey

mikey Well-Known Member

I am assuming that these are relaxed measurmets, because when my trainer does my body fat and measunments every month that is how he does it.

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Jeremy, I'm a little confused by this statement. You say that the leaner you are, the more likely it is that you will gain more fat and less muscle. Is this true? You say that if you can't see your abs, your mix will be about 50:50, but if you are in the single digit BF%, the mix can be more like 80:20. I interpreted your sentance as the ratio of muscle/fat. Is the ratio flipped?

16. JeremyLikness

Good catch! Total typo on my part. Yes, when you are leaner, you gain MORE MUSCLE, LESS FAT. When you are less lean, you gain MORE FAT LESS MUSCLE. Thanks for the catch, amazing how a few flipped words can totally throw off the meaning!

Jeremy

17. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

Well I've been lifting hard and eating 6 meals a day and my waist isn't getting larger, but my muscles are growing which is good. :tu:

18. Toni

Toni Well-Known Member

Jeremy, what do you mean you "gain more fat less muscle"? How can one be gaining fat if he is doing resistance training and eating well? Care to elaoberate pls? Thanks.