1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Calories, Calories, Calories...

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by SithLord, Mar 23, 2012.

1. SithLord

SithLord Well-Known Member

Ok...need a little help. It's been awhile since I've been here. My story sounds a lot like John Stone's when he first started:o. ...I finally crossed that point where I need to change! Anyways my question is how many calories should I eat if I work out and do cardio (sorry if this question has been asked to death)??

For Example today looked like this:
    -Weight lifting = 1hr
    -Cardio (BPM 140-150) = 1hr

-Food Log (40-30-30 split) = 1800 calories

My basic personal stats:
    -32 years old
    -Male
    -5' 9.5" tall
    -200lbs

Just sounds/feels like a lot of calories to me...plus I'm not hungry at all!

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

To gain,lose or maintain?

How active are you in general?

1800 shouldn't feel like a lot of food. Even less so if you're getting 30% fat.

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

That's crazy talk, my friend. 1800 calories is barely more than a single meal for me and I'm not too far off from your stats. The biggest difference is age, I think...

I am 5'10", 215 lbs and 37 years old.
    I workout 3-5 days each week on average, and my workouts are 60 minutes generally(give or take 10 minutes). My workout is primarily weight training and contains little, if any, cardio(maybe 5-10 minutes of intervals once every few weeks).

Umm... yeah... my maintenance intake is almost double the intake you mentioned(maintenance is 3500 cal/day for me).

That's just crazy...

4. wwwolf

wwwolf Member

1800 seems right for that macro ratio if your goal is cutting and you are working out.
    Check out John Stone's food log for his last cut, it looked like he was cycling between 1800 and 2000 calories per day and he was extremely active.
    Whenever I read a transformation on other sites where guys get really cut, that is about the calorie level guys between 5'10" and 6' use.
    If you recently switched your macro ratios to more protein vs. carbs and junk food, it will seem like a lot of food.

5. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Those calories are a little low, but more than that the high of just starting or the occasional anomaly can make a certain low calorie amount not feel so low but trust me at your size doing 2 hours/day it won't be long before 1800 feels very little indeed.

I'm concerned about you burning out doing two hours/day of exercise. It's a hell of a lot to commit to and very difficult for even disciplined athletes to continue doing long term around other commitments of life.

FWIW I'm about your stats now and doing 30 min weights, 30 min cardio/day and 2000 calories. Weight is going off quickly and I don't feel like I'm limited myself too badly, so it's not too bad keeping it up. Results vary, but I'd cut your physical output honestly.

To be even more honest I would do 1800 calories/day at the 1 hour total activity level at the 200 lbs, but every cut back in calories will increase the challenge of staying at that level (lower energy, more hunger.

6. SithLord

SithLord Well-Known Member

...i would have to say Friday's workout was a long one. I usally do about 45min lifting & 45min of cardio...and every other day just cardio, with rest on sunday.
    I will probably try and raise my calories up a little bit, and just keep and eye on my weight loss and body fat loss.
    Thanks for the input!