1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Calories Calories Calories...*sigh*

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by shyapril, May 18, 2004.

1. shyapril

shyapril Well-Known Member

Ok...

I've tried I really did! But I just don't seem to get it!

How many calories do I need do loose :( I'M SAAAAAD SAD SAD SAD SAD! There is no crying smiley on the right...

According to my weight (121.2) I'd need 1212 and 1455 cal/day.

Again I keep reading that that is way too low for someone practising exercise...

Yep... I'm lost. Help? Anyone?...

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Well-Known Member

3. shyapril

Basal: 1332
    Lifestyle: 587

I guess that's it.

4. Danny Noonan

So your maintenance level is roughly 1900 cals/day at your current activity level. So to lose fat, drop to 1400-1500 and monitor your progress for a month.

:gl:

5. CrysmBug

CrysmBug Well-Known Member

Hmm..I have a question since ya'll are on this subject. I weigh 122 and my activity level (most of the time) is 6 days a week of exercising, sometimes twice a day. I eat a cheat meal of around 500 (1,000 extra calories a week) cals every 3 days (I have alot of meetings at resturaunts) and right now I eat around 1200 calories a day - (so on the days I have cheat food I eat 1700 calories) sooo my question is should I be eating less to keep me at a steady drop of about a pound of fat a week? - sorry if this was confusing! :p

Thanks, CT

6. Danny Noonan

CB, I think what you're doing sounds fine. Are you getting results? That's the question.

7. CrysmBug

Yes, but slowly, but I think it is getting slower because I have dropped my bodyfat to below 20% (or at least I hope that is why it is getting slower) I am just making sure I am not eating too much and eating enough to maintain a nice amount of muscle and lose fat. I can tell that I have lost inches and my abs are starting to become more defined, but I have stayed at 122 for almost a month! I appreciate the input.

CT

8. shyapril

Guess what? It IS my maintenance level!! I did some adding and ended up realizing that that (1800/1900) was my usual calorie intake! That is why my weight remained the same for so long! :mad:

I'll drop around 500 cal/day and keep up the track!

:tu: Thanks a million!

9. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

It gets very, very slow as your body fat gets lower. I lost 5lbs in the first two weeks, and my weight has hovered around the same number for the last three months. However, my body fat percentage did decrease.

I'm trying out eating at maintenance (2000 calories) but I think it's too early to say if it is above or below my real maintenance level. The last few days my weight went down. Today it went up. My waist got a little bigger too. I wish I understood what's happening with my body.

10. CrysmBug

Yeah I am finding that out - All of a sudden I dropped weight and saw the top part of my abs, but that was a month ago and I can tell in my clothes that I am getting smaller, I went from a 6 to a 4 in a month, but now I don't see more definition, so It feels like I am losing size w/out losing fat - ugh.

Hmm..are you still eating pretty clean foods, but just more of them? I am sure that still matters though you are in maintenance-but I have no idea really when it comes to maintenance, that is a dream that is far away :p ..thanks

CT

11. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

Rather then dropping your calories by 500 below 1800 (pretty low amount!) I think you should drop your Calories by about 200-250 and INCREASE your Caloric expenditure by 250-300 via walking or exercise or whatever you like to do to burn Calories.

-Allen

12. efk

efk Well-Known Member

According to Harris-Benedict, my bmr is - 1 923.082
    With a 1.6 activity multiplier (cardio 3x, lifting 3x), I'm at 3000
    I'm eating 1800, and losing weight, either its wrong, or I am eating to low and just lucky that I'm losing.... maybe I'll try a week at around 2200 and see how I fare...

13. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Remember people, forumlas are just estimates.

14. efk

efk Well-Known Member

no DOUBT KT - I'm just saying if they're estimating 3000, and I'm eating 1800, that could be "bad" no?
    (how you feeling man?)

15. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

Yes, they are all clean.

Karatetricker is right. The formulas are just estimates. That's why I like to keep track of what I eat and how much I exercise so I can figure out what works for me personally, not just blindly eat whatever an equation or someone else tells me will work.

I'm finishing off this week with the increased calories, then I'm pulling back by 250 if my weight keeps going up. Important dates are coming up and I want to look my best!

16. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

You of course would still lose weight. The only reason people recommend a 500 kCal/Day deficit is so that the majority of the weight loss comes from FAT and not from fat AND muscle.

-Allen

17. efk

efk Well-Known Member

Then why WAS I averaging about 1.6 lbs a week, and haven't lost any in over a week?

18. goddezz

goddezz Well-Known Member

Because your body has now gone into starvation mode. It's grabbing and KEEPING every ounce it gets.

19. efk

efk Well-Known Member

What you're saying goddezz contradicts what akm3 said.
    I'm not sure what it is

20. goddezz

goddezz Well-Known Member

Well basically what I'm saying is that yes at first you will lose weight and then get stalled because your body adjusts and goes into starvation mode. Pretty much, the body says "hey this is not enough nutrients to keep me healthy so guess what? I'm gonna store every ounce of nutrients I get from now on just in case I never get anything more to eat again!"