1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Caloric deficit?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by GatorDeb, Aug 24, 2010.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Since 7/3/09 I've lost 75 lbs. 215->140. My body fat's now 25% or so. I shoot for a 1000 caloric deficit which has me eating 1400-2000+ calories per day. I do BodyPump at the gym (full-body barbell routine for an hour in a group class setting) on Mondays, Wed/Thurs, and Saturdays. I DO do a lot of cardio and I won't be stopping that, I enjoy it too much. I don't want to gain weight or fat and if I had to choose, I'd rather get to 115 lbs first and then gain muscle.

What's a good caloric deficit to have to lose weight and gain muscle? I understand I won't be maximizing muscle gains, I'm ok with that, as weight loss is still my main concern (and body fat). I eat 100-150 grams of protein a day, mostly from food.

Thanks! :)

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Is your lifting progressing? In other words are you getting stronger? Lifting more?

If you really want to try and do both things that go with a fairly small deficit. I'm talking maybe a 300 calories at most.

1000 is way too many.

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

What really has me frustrated is that no matter what I do I'm stuck at 140 lbs. I use a BodyBugg that shows calories burned during the day. People say I could be eating too little but the worst that will happen is that my metabolism will slow and that hasn't happened, I'm actually burning more, about 2000 at rest per day as opposed to 1800. I'd like to get to 115 lbs but it's been months at this weight. Sigh. I DO think I'm getting a lot stronger. I started BodyPump 11 days ago and I've done it 5 times now and that seems to be the one that works for me. I've consistently done resistange training since I started 13.5 months ago without much gain, but after one week I notice a lot of difference in strength.

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

What did you calculate your deficit based on? I would tend to estimate that a regular 140 pound woman would take about 2100 calories to maintain. If you're doing 600 calories worth of additional exercise every single day and 300 calories deficit from food each day, you should be losing 2 pounds per week, assuming that your metabolism is normal.
    I'm really not familiar with the BodyBugg. However, with the brief reading that I did just now with a search, it appears that it uses various different measurements (GSR, Heat Flux, etc) to calculate how much energy you exert during the day. The site I visited doesn't say anything about measuring metabolism. Again, I'm not completely clear on the definition of metabolism, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the interaction between energy intake and energy exertion. This can be variable based on body fat percentage, macronutrient intake, health or illness, hormonal levels, sleep habits, and other factors.

If your BodyBugg says that you are exerting 2000 calories in a day, and you're consistently eating 1800 and NOT losing weight, then your metabolism is slow.

Building muscle will help this, as muscle mass takes more energy to maintain than fat mass.

There's not an ideal deficit to use when losing body fat and gaining muscle simultaneously. I use whichever one makes me feel best while lifting, to get maximum strength gain out of the workouts, which for me is usually around 300 calories.

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I call metabolism my burn rate, or how many calories I burn per day and per hour on a rest day, which is 2000-2100 (used to be 1800 or so).

That's not what I burn in a day. Yesterday for example I burned 3613 (and ate around 2300, I had a lighter meal than expected at work right before midnight). I ate 6 meals yesterday. I eat 5-10 times a day 200-300 calories at a time. I usually burn 2600-3600 and usually eat 1600-2600. The only days I don't have a caloric deficits are rest days where I eat up to what I burn, I won't eat less than 1200 calories a day.

6. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

First off, congratulations on losing 75lbs, that's a huge achievement!

You say you want to get from 140lbs-115lbs, how tall are you?

You say your eating 1600-2600 calories per day, that's an average of 2100 (depending on how many high vs low days you have) and I would not expect a 140lb woman to lose much if any weight while eating that much. I'm 6'3" 190lbs and I usually start cutting at a little more than that and work my way down to a little less than that. I gotta be honest here, I looked up that bodybug thing and I'm a little skeptical of its accuracy. Its a neat idea for sure, and when your moderately overweight it doesn't take much to lose weight to I could see it doing the trick. The thing is the leaner you get the more you have to "fight" your body to lose the fat and I just don't think its accurate enough for you to get really lean following its system. Sounds like it was a helpful tool in your 75lb weight loss, but it may not be accurate enough to help you get leaner.

It might be time to move on from the bodybug to continue making progress, or just alter its "program" for a larger deficit.

7. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Thanks! :)

I do 3-5 hours of exercise a day, every day. I burn 3000-4000 calories a day, so the 2100 average consumption is not that bad when you look at it that way.

I'm 5'4". 108 is the cutoff for under/normal weight and 145 is the cutoff between normal and over weight.

#7 GatorDeb, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  8. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Wait.

Either you're going too easy for that time or this is WAY WAY too much.

9. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I go all out and burn anywhere from 400 to 550 calories in that hour. TurboKick, Zumba, spin, aqua, BodyPump, BodyCombat, martial arts, etc.

10. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

well done for the weight loss so far:tu:, however the above could be concerning as you may be setting yourself up for burnout and/or some severe rebound weight gain.