1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Calculations for BF%, Water, etc.

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by phillydude, Nov 19, 2013.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I noticed that my digital scale provides info on my "water level" on a percentage basis, along with body fat %, and of course, weight. So I just worked up some calculations including that number and would like someone to double-check my formulas and make sure I am doing the maths correctly. If I am wrong somewhere, please let me know. All numbers below are hypothetical, but hopefully this exercise will help someone else down the line to figure out better ways to track progress.

Weight: 200 lbs
    Body Fat: 20%
    Water: 50%

Weight * Body Fat % = Fat Weight
    200 * 20% = 40lbs Fat

Weight - Fat = "Lean" Weight (Muscle, Bones, Water, Etc)
    200 - 40 = 160lbs Lean

Lean * Water % = Water Weight
    160 * 50% = 80lbs Water

Lean - Water = "Muscle" Weight (Muscle, Bones, Etc)
    160 - 80 = 80lbs Muscle

Since the weight of your bones doesn't really change on a day to day basis, and the weight of the "etc" (mostly unprocessed food) doesn't change drastically from day to day, this "muscle" number, as well as the fat number, is probably the most accurate way to measure progress (fat weight going down, muscle weight going up).

BTW... most of the research I found on the interwebs says that the average person is about 60% water. The more you know...

#1 phillydude, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

The math is correct with the exception of the "lean" input for the last formula. According to your previous calculations the hypothetical lean is 160 not 180 and that would leave you with 80 pounds of muscle not 100.

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I must have been fixing that error as you were posting. :lol:

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Great minds. :D