1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Butterflyer's Allergy & Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Butterflyer, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Gravitron? Sounds like a Sci-fi thing! :eek:

2. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

April's not allowed on the balcony. I don't think she'd actually jump or fall, but it's most consistent just to keep her inside. She actually runs away from the door when I come back inside, though she sits in front of it and watches me when I'm out there. We figure she probably had enough of the great outdoors when she was a homeless mama cat. No more mean streets for April!:)

Originally I didn't let her out because I figured I wouldn't be able to catch her if she did run off.

:wave:
    Well, they stop the symptoms til the next dose anyway. My tree allergies are severe enough that I double up on antihistamine. I have cut my sudafed consumption in half though.:tu: The goal is less medication.:nod:

I also look forward to eating something with tomato without wanting to claw my eyes out. (And that's with double the antihistamine.)

It felt pretty intense! I was very burny after that workout.:nod: I didn't have much in the way of DOMS except for triceps though-- that might be because of drinking water with baking soda sometimes though.

I love that name!:spaz:

I see the changes on the forums are finished, very exciting! The blog looks neat-- I have to check it out more.

I did weights yesterday and cardio today. Next week, after Monday when I get my shot, I'm going to start exercising outside again. I've never spent so much time indoors in my life.:( I think it helped a lot though.

Gonna do a little yoga tonight too, I need the relaxation.:spaz:

3. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

Do you drink water with baking soda? What does it do?

4. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

I *love* violas- I planted some in one garden bed and they self seeded for quite some time afterwards, which was really nice. :) Always reminds me of Alice in Wonderland!

Fresh beetroot is delicious, and the leaves are yummy too! We ate some homegrown bok choy in a stirfry last night, I'm sure it's tastier than shop bought stuff.

5. Butterflyer

I do, sometimes, when my allergies get bad and I can't take even more allergy medicine. I had seen it listed somewhere as a remedy for some food reactions, as long as they weren't too severe. It really seems to work even with pollen. I wouldn't want to do it too much because of the sodium, but it helps stop this kind of domino effect I get when I start reacting. Go figure!:D

Lots of stuff is coming up, but I don't know what's what yet, except the portulaca. I don't know if the portulaca will make it. It started out strong, but it's looking a little sad now.:( But there are so many other plants. I see bean plants for sure!

I'm looking forward to trying the beet(s).:eat: (I can't imagine the pot they're in will fit more than 2!)

6. Happy Monster

Ugh! I can't stand baking soda.. :nope:

7. Butterflyer

Are there people who *like* the flavor?:confused::p I just drink it as fast as I can, and it helps so I put up with the taste. I don't have to do it too often.

I had today off because I work tomorrow. I needed the rest, too. Last night we had rehearsal earlier than usual, but it ran almost as late as usual. We have a gig Sunday, and it's making a couple of the guys more nervous than usual, so pressure is being passed around.:blank:

I did cardio today and made chocolate chip cookies to take to work tomorrow. Also got some laundry done and took a nap. I'm tired already though-- more sleep, please!:sleep:

Oh and I only took a Clarinex today. It's been raining, so that's helpful.:nod:

8. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Hey! :wave:

Baking soda and water? Never heard of that one, but I'm willing to try it. I've been using my Nasalizer and have not had to take an allavert in two weeks! I am thinking about going back on Flonaze, though. Three weeks ago, when pollen was covering the cars I broke down and took a Claritin D. pseudoephedrine sucks! I was shaky and irritable and tired all day. No thank you.

My son has been doing great. I think the last treatment with his allergist did the trick! Of course, we have been as strict as possible with limiting the artificials that he is sensitive to, but we can't block all of them. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the friendy!!!

Hey, did you ever get those trees to stop fucking?

9. Butterflyer

Yeah, the baking soda has stopped a couple of slow moving reactions that the medicine wouldn't cover. I found that tip on webpages for people with food allergies. Tums has worked for me too a couple of times.:nod:

I can only take the regular sudafed, not the sudafed PE (phenylephrine). That PE makes me jittery but doesn't decongest.:p Everyone I know who uses these things is really different when it comes to their reactions to them.

That's great news about your son! Especially since it's almost impossible to completely block artificial ingredients these days, especially with kids.

Damn trees!:lol: Maybe there should be a song, "Promiscuous Tree"??? The oaks have been going at it pretty hot & heavy lately, but it's winding down.:tu:

Still getting used to the new changes here. I happen to have myfacespacebooks accounts, but never use them. I've probably forgotten the facebook password, oops. I used to wish that I could get into myspace the way I got into JSF, because some of my real life friends are on myspace.

The calendar function on the blog here looks very useful, but I'd probably have to search anyway if I don't remember dates.:confused: I saw people saying the "friends" thing feels like high school, but I'm trying to think of it more as an address book for people I want to look at photo albums that I'd like to put here that I don't want *everyone in the whole world* to see. I don't know how much of that there will be though.:confused: But that's mainly my way of not feeling rejected if people don't accept my friendship request, actually.:lol: I can see where some people wouldn't want to do the friend thing. When I first read this, I was like "but I want everyone to be on my friend list.":doh: And then I read the stuff about breaking friendships.:cry: I'm so sappy.

When I was in elementary school, I wanted to give everyone a nice valentine's day card because it wouldn't be fair otherwise, and I'm still kind of like that.:o

I go to the Y for a session with the trainer this morning, and then work.:spaz:

Oh, and today is my 2 year anniversary of quitting smoking!
    Your Quit Date is: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:45:00 PM
    Time Smoke-Free: 730 days, 16 hours, 23 minutes and 16 seconds
    Cigarettes NOT smoked: 8768
    Lifetime Saved: 2 months, 6 days, 23 hours
    Money Saved: $2,938.62

10. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I am not sure how much I will use the new changes really. I log my workouts on beginnertriathlete.com and come here really to read my friends' journals :)

what a cool way to look at two years worth of not smoking! wow nearly §3000 saved!!:)
    have a great session at the Y ;)

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Valentine's Day can be so sad. :( The schools have a rule now that if you're giving Valentines, you have to give them to everyone in the class, which I think is fantastic. It's my favorite holiday now, but only because I've adapted the rules to suit my needs. :moon: I keep myself so busy saying and doing special things for everyone in my life that I barely notice whether or not they do anything back. :p If I want flowers or chocolates, I buy them for myself or for my husband instead of hoping that he behaves differently than how normally generous and attentive to my needs he is. :love:

Are you going to get yourself something special from the smoking cessation fund?

12. Happy Monster

Yes, well done on not smoking! :nod:

13. Butterflyer

Yeah, I'm mainly around here to read people's journals too, I guess. And I like writing here! It's funny, I can't get into writing a blog on myspace at all.:confused:

It's also funny that I feel like I have to use all the new features here.:doh:

That quit info is from quitnet.com-- it's a handy little motivational tool. I especially like how many cigarettes I haven't smoked. Shocking!:eek:

I think we were supposed to give the valentines to everyone in class, but I don't think it was actually enforced. I liked when we would make the little mailboxes out of shoeboxes. We put a slot in them and covered and decorated them.

I love the idea of buying yourself valentine's presents!:love:

I didn't actually physically save that money, unfortunately.:( But I kinda have been buying myself treats all along in that I've paid for belly dance classes, yoga classes, and these 5 sessions with the personal trainer.:tu: And I do have some in the bank, but I'm trying to save that for really sensible stuff.:nod:

Thanks!:flex:

The training session this morning was tough! The Y opened a little late, and I had to be out of there on time because of work. (I still got out a little late, and only had 20 minutes to shower and get ready for work when I got home. I made it!) We did a lot on chest-- bench press and cable crossovers-- but I also did step ups and some bicep curl thing called 21s which was done in 3 stages: bottom half, top half, and full range. Ouch.:eek: And an upper back exercise with the cable and a rope which I can't quite describe. Plus pushups with one hand on a box, alternating. There may have been other stuff, oh yes, skullcrushers and walking lunges, and some db flys. It just zipped by, and I was beat.

Everyone liked the cookies at work today, and there are even some left, yay!:eat:

I had salmon for dinner tonight.:drool: I hope it doesn't give me a bad mood later-- I have that gig in the morning. I'll be diligent with the allergy medicine just in case. It seemed really fresh though, so hopefully it's ok.

My mom called me this evening with a surprise, made me guess, and I actually guessed in 4 tries. My cousin who I haven't seen since I was in college just showed up for a visit!:spaz: I hope she took pictures so it can be like I got to see him. I talked to him for a few minutes, and his voice sounded just like it did 30 years ago. I have to drive out and visit him someday.:)

14. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

We try not to be 'helicopter parents' but we are very good at limiting things at home. The more I get into eating clean, the easier it is to come up with clean and healthy menus for the kids. Plus I love to cook and try new things so it is a win-win.

Some of the stuff we do are just little variations, though, Like using Annie's organic 'Arthur-O's' instead of spaghettios.

Maybe that's what causes the wildfires... they're all having a smoke afterward. :madpimp:
    [/quote]

Like you, I have a Facebook account that I have no freaking clue why I created (however I did reconnect with a good friend from high school on it), and Myspace account that was more about a guy with a buzz goofing around than any attempt at networking.

I started a blog here, but I think I am going to stick to the journal. The albums are cool. I wonder if search engines can crawl them? I'm thinking so... :confused:

When I was in elementary school, I wanted to give everyone a nice valentine's day card because it wouldn't be fair otherwise, and I'm still kind of like that.:o

CONGRATULATIONS! I quit for several years in my mid twenties, started again and have now been cigarette free (a few slips) since September 21, 2007. It's a great monkey to have off of your back! :claplow:

15. Butterflyer

Thanks!:D

I've had some of those Annie's products. I like the mac & cheese-- it's got little bunny heads as the noodles, I think.:confused:

Those crazy trees!:lol: The wildfire thing made me laugh....

The past few days have been rough, because I started having a long, slow meltdown. I'm wondering if the farm-raised Atlantic salmon Saturday night may have had something to do with it (I've had trouble with it before), but I think it was starting well before then anyway, as the last couple weeks I've been more and more hyper. I really think it's mostly because of being too busy lately and not taking enough time to deal with allergic issues as they came up.

The really bad mood got going pretty well on Monday night, and yesterday I hated everything and everyone, even though I knew I really didn't. But I was hanging by my last frayed nerve, and I was pretty sure whoever broke it was going to be dragged down to hell with me.:nod: Too bad I couldn't really take off from everything, that would have been the best thing to do.

I was well beyond even covering it up, too. Usually I do a very good job of covering up bad moods. A couple people who know me pretty well were asking me yesterday if I was ok, and I was like YEP, I'M OK. So then they'd ask again and I'd have to say BAD MOOD, CAN'T SPEAK.

That was really hard at rehearsal last night, and after I told them that, I was starting to lighten up just a little, but everything turned into a bad headache-- or at least I finally realized I had a headache, I'm not sure. So I took tylenol and was actually able to get some sleep last night.

After my allergies have been going for a while, I seem to get more and more hyper, which keeps me from sleeping and I either can't get to sleep, or I wake up after 3 hours ready to go. Then with less sleep, I get even more hyper, and even more allergic.:spaz: It's like histamine buildup or something!:doh:

I got my shots today and did pretty well. The doctor took the pollen dose back a notch, so the lump on my arm wasn't quite as large as last time.:tu:

The gig Sunday went well! And tonight I showed Zu Warriors at the library. My boyfriend actually showed up for it, and one other person was there too. They agreed they wanted to watch the English language US version. I'm glad I saw it, but I preferred the Cantonese version with the subtitles. They were almost like 2 different movies. Best flying martial arts movie ever!!:spaz:

16. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

B I read yesterday that you wrote in M@'s journal that you too had been having a bad week...........am so glad you finally got a little mor sleep and the shots went OK yesterday... any way you can become a little less busy for a while? or are they all obligations you can't let go of at the moment? like work :lol::lol:

I had been having a bad week too, due to unexpected relational stuff, but seemed to turn the corner yesterady! ;)

17. bmacntmac

bmacntmac Well-Known Member

:claphigh::claphigh:

Cigarettes NOT smoked - Good way of looking at it.

This is a great accomplishment and something to be very proud of!

18. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Congrats on your anniversary of not smoking. Thats such a HUGE accomplishment! :tucool:

I'm glad your keeping your journal...I think I'm going to do the same at this point. I may end up doing what Christy is doing at some point and just post my workouts in the blog but for now its all journal.

19. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's funny; I'm tempted to blame everything that goes wrong to me now on a poor diet. :doh: I'm sure it's even harder for you with all the limitations you have. The salmon should typically be a really good thing for people without allergic reactions, because the omega-3s are really helpful in treating depression. (Though that might be different from stress/anger/irritability/anxiety :confused:)
    You do such a good job with maintaining personal control. :claplow: Even if you have trouble covering up your bad moods, at least you have the good sense to politely tell people to stay away. ;)

Happy Thursday!

20. Butterflyer

Hi Jedi! I saw that about the relational stuff!:(:(:( I've been reading here and there, though I haven't been posting. I haven't been completing things I intend to do lately.:lol:

This weekend is a 3-day weekend, so hopefully I can settle down. Part of this is poor scheduling, really. Tonight will be my first night at home since Saturday, and I've been kind of over scheduled every day. My plan for the early evening is to go grocery shopping and cook stuff. Keep it simple.....

Thanks bmac!!:D I really like the quit gadget-- I always think, hey look at that! Who knew I even smoked that much?

I didn't write here about quitting for quite a long time, not until my quit was pretty well established and I couldn't imagine going through that all over again. After trying to quit many times, I knew that a lot of the things people think make you want to quit did not work for me. Scare tactics just make a lot of smokers want to smoke more, I've noticed.:lol: I used the book Hooked, but not helpless : kicking nicotine addiction by Patricia Allison. Her approach really worked for me.:tu:

Thanks kree!!:tu: That blog for workouts method looks so organized, I like that.:nod:

The one thing I related to quite well in M@'s post was about screaming fits in your head. My head noise has been steadily increasing over the past couple of weeks, very gradually. A lot of inner dialogue, mental arguments with people not around, swearing internally at total strangers. More cursing out loud at home, as I get more rushed, it just increases.

I remember several years ago, lying in bed in my last apartment, trying to relax enough to go to sleep, all of a sudden my brain just got really quiet. It was like someone suddenly shut off a radio that was playing about 5 different stations and a lot of static. I liked it, it was amazing! I couldn't just do that whenever I wanted to, but I usually don't have that much noise now. I remember a friend telling me that it was because I lived near power lines there. :no: I don't think so, I think it was a lot of stress. It's actually a lot harder to relax than just telling myself I'm going to relax. I'm sure some people can do that, I'm trying to develop those skills. I haven't been doing nearly enough yoga-- that seems to help the allergies and they hyper/mood stuff.

Atlantic salmon is now on my DO NOT EAT list, I really think that may have precipitated the really foul mood I had the other day. I think my system has recovered enough from last year that these things are not as immediate as they had been. It's just too much of a coincidence that so many uncharacteristically foul moods have happened shortly after eating fish oil, sardines, or Atlantic salmon. It's odd that Pacific salmon didn't do the same thing.:confused:

wow, this got way too long.:doh::lol:

edit: Hi guava, you must have been posting at the same time as me. I was really disappointed last year when fish oil didn't work for me the way it seems to for other people. Thanks for the kind comment too-- I really try hard to let people know it's not them, sometimes it's hard to get through the weird brain fog to them, though! :)

#320 Butterflyer, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008