1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Butterflyer's Allergy & Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Butterflyer, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

I have returned, and it's time for a new journal.:nod:

The main goal is modest: survive my allergy shots while not having to buy new pants. (I hate pants.)

So, in other words, don't put on any more fat. And try to avoid anaphylaxis.;)

In the past 6 months, I have put on some fat, but I lost some muscle too because I weigh 126 now-- only 1 pound more than I did then. It's hard to tell anyway, because the allergies do wacky things to my water retention. Just last month, I lost 6 pounds in one day. I had realized I was getting very allergic and did something about it, and voila: magic weight loss. At least I was more comfortable after that.

I'm still fairly active, but I want to get started with *regular* weight training again. I had been doing a lot of bodyweight exercises, and a lot of yoga.

So far the ground rules are:
    • No raw fruits and vegetables.
    • No vitamins/supplements except powdered sodium ascorbate, magnesium and calcium.
    • No weirdo additives in my food.
    • No high fructose corn syrup.
    • Lots of water.
    • Lots of relaxation!

I'm already doing all that, because these seem to be the things that keep me from getting too allergic.

A big thing I learned in the past year is that anything that revs up my metabolism seems to make the allergies act up, too. So I have to figure out how to balance any weight training with activities that calm me down.

Today I'll be getting a massage after work from a lady who's in my belly dancing class. She's a naturopath, and she also does all kinds of massage. Then later tonight I'll do yoga at home. Yay! I've been studying with a teacher who does mostly Astanga yoga. When I do it regularly, I find I don't have to take quite as much allergy medicine.

Tree season is coming, so we'll see if the shots have been helping....

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hi Butterflyer. :wave: :D

I like these journals with nontraditional goals. :)

Are you really anaphylactic? Do you have to stay out of restaurants?

3. Happy Monster

Happy Monster Well-Known Member

Welcome back my friend! :D

4. Butterflyer

Hi guava! :wave:

I'm anaphylactic, but so far not to one food. I've had anaphylaxis to an echinacea capsule (had to call an ambulance), and twice to allergy shots. And last year the doctor said I had mild anaphylaxis to my shots one time, but it felt just like walking outside when I haven't taken any allergy medicine.

Doctors are super cautious if you've ever had anaphylaxis to anything at all. At least I don't have asthma. Hooray!:tu:

I'm doing a lot better than last year-- I can eat fish occasionally now without having a weird reaction. I also ate some soup with some cooked celery in it a couple weeks ago at a restaurant, and last year at this time I couldn't eat broth that had been made with celery in it, even when I was on allergy medicine.

I usually eat meals I make myself, though, so I know what's going into the "allergy bucket"! One time I had trouble with my shots, the only thing that had changed was that Stonyfield had added inulin to the yogurt. Inulin is made from chicory or something, and I think chicory is pretty similar to ragweed.:p

And I kinda have to be a bit of a detective to keep up with all this stuff.
    :read:

I have 2 Epipens, just in case.:nod:

It's good to be back, Rich!:) I'd like to catch up on journals and stuff!

5. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Man B my cyprus allergy is in full swing at present but nothing compared to yours. However it does seem that you are becoming much more knowledgeable about what sets it off, which is half your victory, of course. Interesting that raised metabolism can set things off:rolleyes: I presume stress als, therefor?

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm looking forward to reading your new journal and I was glad to see that you have a better handle on your allergies than you did last year.

7. Butterflyer

I was reading your new journal (with the cool name) and saw that! They didn't test me for cyprus, I guess we don't have too much of that around here. Not much pollen yet here, whew. I used to already be a mess by February-- I guess with all the vegetables and fruit I ate all the time! Stress does seem to make things worse too.:(

The massage last night was great. I forgot that it's hard to do anything after a massage. So no yoga. I was like a noodle. She suggested colostrum for the food issues.:confused:

P.S. Hi Paul! Thanks for the support!:D

8. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey there! :dreamy:

9. Butterflyer

Phillydude!!:wave: I started reading your latest journal yesterday.:tu:
    I love your avatar.:love: Little Debbie, yes!!

Last night I went for a nice long walk. It was so warm I could wear shorts! I now have Timberland hiking boots that are so comfortable I like to wear them all the time. Too bad I can't always wear them to work and stuff. These are the first hiking boots I've ever thought were comfortable.

Along with the colostrum, the woman who gave me the massage mentioned at one point that decaf coffee is often made with chicory. About a month ago, I quit drinking regular coffee and switched to decaf, and in the past several weeks, the shot for the plants has been giving me a large lump on my arm. So I quit the decaf now, and we'll see how my shots are this week. I actually didn't take any allergy medicine at all yesterday, and I just took a Clarinex today because my shots are tomorrow. I have no symptoms at all today, which is a rare thing.:tucool:

10. Happy Monster

Reading your journal, I realise that we take it for granted that we don't have the same allergy problems you get. I hope they improve for you..

11. Butterflyer

awwww, thanks Rich! :) I'm eternally optimistic and keep thinking that I'm doing a little better all the time. And everyone has their individual problems, for what that's worth. A friend of mine is terribly allergic to nickel, and I'm glad I don't have that one.:p

My shots did not go too well today. At least the pollen one didn't. Cat and dust mite on the right arm are always perfect! I have a huge lump on my left arm, away from where the shot was, and I was feeling pretty bad for about 2.5 hours. And of course, during that time, I was completely paranoid about mentioning it. Which is kinda dumb, but there you go.

For the allergy record, it was the first day of my period, which is weird enough, being that's 2 months in a row. I'd gone back to wacky irregularity for a while there. I *do* tend to be more allergic when I first get my period anyway, and I don't recall ever getting my shots then.

Dang it. I hate when the shots are scary.:blank:

12. George

George Senior Member

Oh jeez, I can't believe I missed this journal. Welcome back, Butterflyer! :wave:

13. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Hey Butterflyer, welcome back :D

14. bballer143

bballer143 Well-Known Member

It's so great to have you hanging out here again, Butterflyer! :spaz: :jumping: I'm looking forward to reading your journal. :)

15. Happy Monster

Good god BBballer! That's a provocative avatar! :eek:

16. Butterflyer

George! Maya! bballer!:spaz: :wave: Hello!

(That *is* a pretty provocative avatar.:confused: But what exactly is that kitten saying with its eyes, Rich?:eek: btw, it's adorable.)

Over the weekend there was walking, yoga, and a 2 hour workshop on zills and veils. Plus some moping about my allergy shot. But now I move on. I think they will be lowering my dose probably this Thursday. And I've gone back to drinking caffeine coffee.:tu:

I had a belly dance class this morning. I'm actually starting to be able to dance with the zills a bit. This weekend was the first time I really did anything other than a few steps while playing them. Now I'm taking a session off from the belly dance and yoga. The last yoga class will be on Saturday.

I bought some material to make a pair of harem pants for underneath a skirt I have that's very sheer. I made a blue pair for the show last month, and that was the first time I'd sewn anything since junior high when I made a vest. The pants weren't fabulous, but they didn't fall off either!;) Success! I bought a $20 Shark sewing machine at Target for that.:lol: I also hemmed a light blue veil from a pretty piece of light silk. I can't believe I sewed stuff.:nope: Quite shocking.

Tomorrow is Tuesday, so there will be a bodyweight/weights workout in the morning.:nod:

17. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

Yay, glad to have you back! :)

Have you tried the colostrum yet?

18. Butterflyer

Yayyyyyy, Naturegirl! I like the bonsai tree in your avatar. I tried the colostrum in capsule form, but do I continue? I probably really shouldn't be messing with what I was doing before I had the reaction to my shot on Friday.:confused: I saw your posts about the raw colostrum! Wow! What did it taste like???

Today I did a bodyweight/weights workout, fairly light and quick. Also went for a walk in the snow for an hour! That was fun. This has been a truly lame-ass winter. I like snow and freeziness, and we've pretty much had none. I'd really like to move to Maine. Hmph.

19. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

:spaz::spaz::spaz:

Thanks! I fell in love with my avatar right on the spot.

How did you know about the raw colostrum? I must have posted about that ages ago. Well it tastes kind of like milk, but not exactly. It has a salty taste along with the sweetness. It's not disagreeable at all though. It's also colored a pale orange which is interesting.

Yeah it seems to me that since cow's milk is one of the most allergenic, than the colostrum might cause you problems.

20. Butterflyer

:D I did a search on colostrum on this site after the naturopath told me about it. And I think most of the posts I found were yours.:tu::tu:

I actually have no problem at all with milk. I also have no problems with wheat, eggs, corn, peanuts, etc., whatever happens to be the most popular food allergies. I don't really have any food allergies, just cross reactions with all the pollens I'm allergic to! So I guess colostrum is ok, I'm just nervous about throwing in new *anything* at this point. If I get to a point where I go to getting my shots every other week, then I'll have a little wiggle room, I think. I've taken a few of the colostrum capsules this week though.:scared: I'm so curious, I can't help it. :no:

My boyfriend is getting his allergy shots every other week now, and he started after me. Lucky fella!!

Here's the good news-- no allergy medicine at all since Friday. Used to be, by February I'd be back to taking the allergy medicines very regularly.:nod: So I think I'm doing pretty well. I'll be taking Clarinex for sure tomorrow because my shots are on Thursday this week.