1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

busting thru my plateau and reaching 9%...

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by krosspyder, Jul 13, 2005.

1. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

(I BUSTED THRU BABY!) busting thru my plateau and reaching 9%

(this post was started as a suggestion by tennisball to see if i can get some more focused help for more folks on this board. i know i may hear a variety of opinions and suggestions but just maybe there will be a consensus on something that may help me get through this. thnx to all for the help so far... ive come a long way but i still have more to go.)

kinda long so bare with me here....

as most of you know im on a plateau (or what i perceive to be one).

little background info as it relates to this: dropped 50 pounds since decemeber of last year...started at 35% bf to where i am now at which is between 14% and 15% bf. did it with low carbs and high protein... carb cycling towards the end (about two months)... fasted morning cardio 5-6 times a week and max ot weight lifting.

been at the same weight.... 180 for about a month and a half... not sure about the same body fat... but its pretty still... lows 13%... highs 16%... just saw 12.8 the other day but that was after 60 minute cardio session.... lost a lot of water.

heres my exercise routine:

3 days out of week i do max ot weight lifting about 20 minutes to 45 minutes sessions depending on what im doing. recently ive been doing supersets/trisets so its shorter.

6 days out of week i do cardio... fasted 45-50 minute cardio.
    these fall on my lifting days but i keep them 8 hours apart... cardio in morning or after i wake up and lifting in evening ... or at night.

sometimes after i lift i go for about a 20 minute jog... not very often now that im worrying about over training.

what ive been doing recently to combat the plateau.

sometimes ... at any time... usually on nights im not lifting i hit the bags and ropes... punch bag, speed bag, jump ropes... do some quick sprints (nothing major)... for about 20 minutes just to keep my metabolism rocking.... this at night which usually at night before bed metabolism slows and i try to combat this with that. now this routine has been implemented recently because of my plateau i haven't done it often because i fear over training but i still do it.

sometimes after i do my fasted cardio i hit the ropes (skipping) 5 minutes with two minute rest in between,

sometimes when i do fasted cardio i switch things up and i may jog hard, then sprint, then sprint as hard as i can and then i just moderately jog... cycle that again and again then continue moderate jogging... this is done with the traditional 45-50 minute duration. ive been doing this recently to combat the plateau.

as for my diet...

i eat pretty clean.... all the clean major food sourced for healthy eating.. burning fat and gaining or maintaing muscle... i eat.

my diet throughout the day depends on or is relative on what activity im doing.
    im trying to focus on meal timing.
    previously i was not counting cals, not counting ratios... just eating when i think i was getting hungry. i would also make sure to eat a lot of protein and chill out with the carbs... then i found out about carb cycling and started increasing my carbs and i started carb loading. before my carbs were very low... and id imagine my cals were to.. but i got from 245 to where i am at now 180 doing this... not knowing etc.
    now that im at a perceived stalemate i have been looking into my caloric intake... doing good with that... counting you know... and looking at my ratios. im using fitday.com to register such.

because of the plateau i tried 40/40/20 sometimes getting lower carbs and higher protein and maybe fat but not much deviation. i imagine before i wasnt sensitive to caloric intake or ratios i was hitting probably 80/10/10... easy.

now im working on going to higher protein on non lifting days and higher carbs on lifting days.... cycling this... maybe 60/20/20, 50/30/20 etc.

im also working in eating more fats on non lifting days instead of carbs to get my body used to using fat as energy. see how this works.

after fasted cardio i wait 30 minutes then hit fat/protein source.... 4 egg whites... one whole egg and then 30 minutes after that i hit a protein/carb meal.

i eat every 3 hours and sometimes i graze throughout the day eating every 1 to 2 hours... always staying well under TDEE.

recently ive tried the small caloric climb to bust my plateau as suggested by jaybird .. slowly increasing cals to see if i can find a shift in weight either way... lower or higher... if i find that then ive broken the plateau. was eating 2400, 2500, 2600, 2700, 2800, 2900, 3000, 2500, 2600, 2700,2800, 2900, 3000, 3100.... straight and no change in weight.

maybe change in body fat but its hard to tell.

may be too short but i got fed up with it because thats a lot of food and i was cleaning out my kitchen and i couldn't afford keeping that up.
    i was eating a lot man... a lot. i felt kinda stuffed. ate every hour on the hour. clean foods are low in cals as most of you know... so thats why that was hard. u dont really mind that but it was the money that i was spending that was the problem. maybe i can only afford a 2400 caloric day budget where i live? healthy food is expensive here. i can get really good tasting bad food for free.... and lots of it no problem... one of my friends works at a conevinent store as cleark. lol

Heres a sample of what i eat...

one scoop protein with water
    after fasted cardio
    4 egg whites, one whole egg, lots of water

tuna, two wheat breads, lots of water... sometimes a diet drink
    (was not using anything in my tuna for a while... never made a difference in plateau busting so i started going back to using miracle whip... not over one TBS)

8 oz lean chicken, spinach leaves, 2TBS of very light italian dressing (15 cals for 2 TBS), one cup of yams or one cup of brown rice.

sometimes i drink shake at this time.... one scoop protein (or two), one banana, some berries.

8 oz lean chicken, spinach leaves, 2TBS of very light italian dressing (15 cals for 2 TBS), one cup of yams or one cup of brown rice... sometimes cottage cheese instead of yams or brown rice depending on low carb or high carb day.

some tuna mixed with 5 wheat crackers.

8 oz of 96% lean ground beef and some cottage cheese

before bed

2 TBS peanut butter (with sugar free jam) and some cottage cheese (not together)

just a sample.... its very basic... if im not doing cardio in morning go straight for one bowl of oatmeal with splenda and then hit a protein source. i use the lean ground beef to help meet my caloric numbers easier for high cal days. i try and bookend my starchy carbs around my lifting sessions and also put my starchy carbs early on in the day.... tapering at night.

after lifting i always grab a handful of spree (11 pieces, 70 cals) for insulin spike and then hit a shake of one banana, one to two scoops of whey protein and some berries... no milk just water).

i cook my chicken on forman grill. i also cook with canola oil.

supplements: green tea pills, flax seed pills, fish oil pills, multivitamins, bornchaid and no doz.

#1 krosspyder, Jul 13, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  2. jonnycashman

jonnycashman Well-Known Member

Take 10 days of rest. Keep eating clean but don't lift or do any cardio. You said you're worried about overtraining so let your body recover and reset itself. Just chill out for a bit. You've done great in a realtively short period of time. Take some time for yourself and when you get back to the weights, etc. you'll start seeing gains again. My $.02.

3. krosspyder

thanks jonny... ive thought about this. i recently... maybe 4 weeks ago took a week off from wieght lifting. jaybird told me i dont have to take weeks off from cardio.. that one to two day rests is whats needed not a week off... but as for lifting thats different... so i did that already. anybody else still thinks i need 2 weeks rest... chill out time?

from everything?

4. Solag

Solag Well-Known Member

Kross, I agree with Mr. Cash. If i think that i'm not getting stronger or getting any better results i rest. It was actually hard to do at first because I wanted to get ripped fast BUT.. The rest and not doing any lifting for at least a week makes a big differance I think. After the time off I have alot better workouts and alot better gains. I still do a bit of cardio on my rest days though, like riding a bike or something. Just to keep up my metab. Hope this helps man. I hope you break through this soon I know its been buggin ya for a while. Good Luck :tu:

5. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

6. krosspyder

thnx solag... advice considered.

yeah .. tennisball i do track my cals thru fitday... after having tracked them myself on puter... not online.... i started doing the fitday again because i want to figure my ratios. i was suggest this by some folks on here.

7. wrkout

wrkout Well-Known Member

I think you may have slowed your metabolism down. It takes about two weeks for the fuill metabolic changes to occur. How long were you at max calories when you increased?

Two signs of this are : no weight loss (ie metabolism has downshifted) and b) did not gain weight when calories were shifted upwards.

You may be overtrained as well.

-Amie

8. krosspyder

so is it a consensus on the 2 week .. do no working out at all.. resting?

is this what im hearing? if anyone has dissent to this let me know because if dont hear any... this will happen.

9. wrkout

wrkout Well-Known Member

You can't say you've tried everything... until you've tried everything...

10. krosspyder

true... but no one can say theyve tried everything... theres a lot... takes more then a lifetime.

im just trying what i havent tried. thats the idea. next ill try one large pizza in one setting... its been 7 months.

11. wrkout

wrkout Well-Known Member

That's what I meant...

12. krosspyder

:tucool:

13. krosspyder

so is that 4 or 3 votes for resting for 10 days from everything? any longer? anything different?

any more votes?

im compling/tabulating votes right now.

14. krosspyder

heres some of what ive eaten today.
    (todays second day of back to my low carb plan but higher fat)

didnt do any working out or cardio.

bowl of oatmeal

tuna-some miracle whipe ( i know its hydrogenated), two wheat breads

8 oz lean chicken, spinach leaves, some salad toppings (40 cals), light italian dressing (15 cals Two TBS), sprinkled fat free parmession cheese, some viniger

1/2 cup of cottage cheese

Two TBS natty peanut butter and two tbs of sugar free jam

one tuna in one half of a whole wheat pita---little miracle whip in tuna

two lean turkey patties (400 cals total here)

more to come....

15. krosspyder

im off to walmart to find me a different protein source... different from what im used to... see if can.. if not ill settle with plain ol lean chicken.

maybe while im there i'll check out the new sport compact/tuner mags... i hear the supra is on one of them.

16. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

yeah the Supra was a nice car..to bad its long gone..still you could always get a nice used turbo and get some goods from veilside. I had to give up sport compact car mag up here..scum posties kept stealing it. Take some time off..if your diets in check whats the worst that could happen?

17. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

I just plugged in your numbers to a Katch-McArdle BMR/calorie calculator (15%bf, 180lbs), and gave me around 3000cals/day to *maintain* for moderate activity (I use the moderate activity modifier, even when I'm doing 7days/wk of intense exercise. Those numbers work best for me, maybe not for you.) So that means 2500 or so, or if you are zigzagging, a deficit of 3500 for the week (which means some days over, some days under 2500).

What you're eating looks good, but maybe it's just a little too much in total.

A week or so off is always good advice. If you haven't taken a week in the past few months, go for it. Stay active anyway- work around the house, go for lots of walks, maybe even a light jog or bike ride a few days a week.

An ex of mine in high school used to drive an old '85 supra. Man, that thing was sweet. I can't believe her dad let her take that thing on the highway.

18. krosspyder

thanks guys.

ive already taken a week off from lifting. after that i saw some good gains... seriously.. nothing big but noticable.

maybe i should just take 10 days off of joggin? i only do lifting 3 days out of the week.. what do you all think? or should i cutt them all out? im seeing some cool things happening with my muscles from doing them supersets... again nothing big just noticable.

if i do take off... what should my cutt off point be in calories? so its 2500 for moderate activity... should i keep that for just lifting 3 days out of week... or should i cut that down? i figure my lifting burns anywhere from 230-300 cals... so should my cutt off point then be 2100 or 2200? i thought 2800 was my maitain cal level for moderate working out.... maybe it is 3000. so tennisball what would be my maintain cal level when im not lifting or doing cardio.... and my maintain level for just hard lifting (15 to 20 minutes) 3 days out of week?

#18 krosspyder, Jul 14, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  19. themuss

themuss Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with taking at least 7 days off from cardio. Keep eating lean as so you don't put on any fat, but once you jump back into cardio, you will be shocking your body once again and the fat will fly off. I'm in a tough situation myself, my only option for cardio is running, so what happens when my body adapts to that? We'll have to wait and see.

But my advice is rest, keep your mindset strong and then at the end of the week jump straight back in!

20. krosspyder

thnx for that reply.

so am i hearing a consensus on just dropping cardio and not lifting?

do you all agree with 10 days or 7 days or 5?

ill go with whatever the majority of you suggest.

just need to also know my caloric maitainenece level for these days.

ill stay strong on the eating clean, no doubt. theres no trouble in that dept. ive become so adapted to eating clean that i cant get myself to eat dirty anymore. i just cant. it seems really unesecary... i want all my calories coming from sources that will do me good not bad.

if i knew pizza would help build my body comp then id eat it... but its not going to do that... so i have no use for it.

#20 krosspyder, Jul 14, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2005