1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Buster's 2008 Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Buster, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Active Member

Last year, I had a lot of free time and, over many months, I successfully bulked up from 137.5lbs to over 160lbs. However, at the end of the year, following 2 months of travelling, I was back near where I started.

I'm now at just 141.2lbs. I think I've retained a little muscle from the last bulk. I now have very little free time, having started a busy new job and have had to cut down my routine from 4x to 3x a week.

I want to add some serious mass this year. I've been back at the gym for the last 3 weeks. Discipline has been a problem this time round. I'm also not getting many meals in (I'm an ecto and need lots of food). This has to change.

I've posted my 2008 starting pics, stats and routine below. Any encouragement appreciated; I couldn't do this without JSF!

Stats (19/02/08)

Weight: 141.2lbs
    Waist: 30.6"
    Chest: 38"
    Arm unflexed: 11"
    Arm flexed: 12"
    Thigh: 20.5"
    Calf: 14"

Routine

Sunday/Monday (upper)
    Flat barbell bench 3x6
    Wide grip pull ups 3x8
    Seated barbell shoulder press 3x8
    Bent-over dumbbell rows 3x8
    Dumbbell flys 3x8

Wednesday (deads & arms)
    Deadlifts 3x6
    Weighted dips 3x8
    Weighted chinups 3x8
    Tricep dumbbell extensions 3x8
    Preacher curls 3x8

Thursday (lower)
    Squats 3x6
    RDLs 3x8
    Bulgarians 3x8
    Calf extensions on flat leg press machine 3x12
    Weighted decline crunches 3x12

Attached Files:

#1 Buster, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. user786

user786 Active Member

Good Luck ..and dont forget to :eat:..:tu:

3. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

You look too big to be an ecto. Are you sure about that?

4. Buster

Buster Active Member

Thanks very much! Didn't have a good week this week, either in terms of eating or working out. :o Need to up the motivation and get back on the horse! How are your efforts going at the moment, are you cutting?

I assumed I was an ecto for a few reasons...I started off with a lot less mass (hardly any muscle whatsoever); I weigh quite little for my height (5'9"); my measurements are quite small; I have to eat loads to put on weight; I lose weight incredibly quickly when I'm not eating big (almost a stone in under 3 weeks!); and I have quite a slight bone structure.

Surely even if you put on some mass you're still an ecto for life? I.e. carguy is now big, but he's still an ecto, right?

5. Buster

Buster Active Member

Editted the routine to substitute Bulgarians for lunges and add in wide grip pull ups. Any critiquing much appreciated.

6. Buster

Buster Active Member

Had a good leg workout today, but had to lay off the last 2 sets of Bulgarians; after squats and RDLs I felt as though I was going to tweak something. That's just because it's the first time I'm doing legs again in a long time - it always happens.

Hockey training tomorrow should be interesting - no doubt I'll be aching badly! It's far from ideal but today was the only day I could fit in my leg workout.

A good start to the week eating-wise and workout-wise :tucool:

7. Buster

Buster Active Member

26/02/08

Weight: 144.8lbs

Up 3.6lbs in 1 week. Quite a lot, but I'm hoping it's because I've only just started eating properly again and it'll level off. I'm looking to gain 2-3lbs per week in the hope that it's mainly muscle, but I don't mind adding some fat - gotta be done! :eat:

8. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you, and yes.:bb::eat::bb:

9. Buster

Buster Active Member

03/03/08

Weight: 142.4lbs

Down 2.4lbs! I started last week well, but went out too much towards the end of the week. Alcohol + not much eating = terrible mix :cry:

The annoying thing is I have some reunion events this week that I'm going to have to go to...I'll try to tame it down and keep up the eating. I've decided I'm going to set up a new abstinence challenge in the Challenges forum to start next week and minimise alcohol intake.

EDIT: There already is one :D Have joined the Sober March Challenge.

#9 Buster, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  10. Buster

Buster Active Member

10/03/08

Weight: 143.2lbs

Up 0.8lbs. Not a lot, but at least it's in the right direction. Very good first part of the week eating-wise, but some reunion events meant the week ended with some drinks and not enough food (same old story). Now that I've joined the Sober March Challenge hopefully this won't be an issue for the rest of the month.

Weights in the gym are going up, so that's good. Hopefully I'll gain more weight by next week - I'm aiming for 2-3lbs gain.

11. Buster

Buster Active Member

1 MONTH UPDATE

Stats (19/03/08)

Weight: 145.6lbs (+4.4lbs)
    Waist: 31.75" (+1.15)
    Chest: 38.5" (+0.5)
    Arm unflexed: 11.25" (+0.25)
    Arm flexed: 12.2" (+0.2)
    Thigh: 21.3" (+0.8)
    Calf: 13.75" (-0.25)

A bit disappointed not to have gained more than 4.4lb in 1 month, but I guess progress is progress. I'm a bit concerned my measurements aren't that accurate - apparently my calves are 0.25" smaller?! - but nothing much I can do about that.

1 month comparison pics are below. Last month's pics on the left, this month's pics on the right.

Attached Files:

#11 Buster, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  12. Buster

Buster Active Member

Damnit, Friday and Saturday this week my diet was rubbish. I didn't get anywhere near the right amount of meals in. :mad: :bang: And I know I've lost a few pounds because of it.

Time to step up the eating.

I'm rowing the river Thames in London over a few days with some friends this time next month. By then, I want to have gained 10lbs. No excuses. Some of it will be fat, but I'll burn that off when rowing. I need to eat constantly and as cleanly as possible.

I'm considering whether to step up my gym-going to 4x/week, but I'm not sure...maybe my current 3x/week isn't enough to really up the growth... :confused: :confused: :confused:

13. Buster

Buster Active Member

This post contains my new routine and some photos (attached at the bottom).

I've decided that by my next monthly measurement time (which happens to be shortly before I row the River Thames), I want to be up 10lbs. So:

Target: 155.6lbs by 19th April 2008

I'm going to up the eating and up the intensity in the gym. Having now done a 3x/week routine for about 1 1/2 months, I want to get back to the 4x/week that gave me good results towards the end of last year.

So here's my new routine. It involves most of the same exercises as the last one, plus a few more. I have a dedicated arms day now because it's a problem area. I want to roll with it and see how it goes.

Criticism welcomed.

Routine

Monday (legs & abs)
    Squats 3x6
    RDLs 3x8
    Bulgarians 3x8
    Calf extensions on flat leg press machine 3x12
    Weighted decline crunches 3x12
    Ab rope pull downs 3x12

Tuesday (chest & shoulders)
    Barbell bench 3x6
    Barbell shoulder press 3x8
    Incline dumbell bench 3x8
    Lateral raises 3x8
    Pec deck 3x8

Thursday (back)
    Deads 3x6
    Wide grip pull ups 3x8
    Bent over dumbell rows 3x8
    Upright rows 3x8
    Shrugs 3x8

Sunday (arms)
    Dips 3x8
    Chins 3x8
    Standing overhead tricep extensions 3x8
    Preacher curls 3x8
    Tricep push downs 2x8
    Hammers 2x8

Here are some pics I took today after my arms workout. Arms measured 12.75" flexed (which is actually good for me!). Back is also looking better nowadays I think.

Attached Files:

14. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Your biceps look a lot bigger than 12 3/4! Back, lats and delts looking very well developed. Good work.:nod:

15. Buster

Buster Active Member

Well, it's been a long time since I last updated. I'll try more often now. Am pretty busy with a new job though...

I kept the gym going for some further weeks, but wasn't up to 155lbs by the time my rowing challenge came up (rowing 50 miles down the River Thames in London). I completed it nonetheless with some friends, and it was great fun. Good sense of camaraderie. But it didn't do much for the bulk at all!

Now I'm back in the mid 140s and have 3 weeks before I go travelling to Cambodia. Am going to try and hit the bulk as hard as possible, and hopefully get near the mid 150s by then. I've recently added protein bars to my arsenal. They're not ideal, but great for emergencies when I run out of anything to eat.

Hope all's well with everyone else at JSF!

#15 Buster, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  16. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Have a good trip. Will it be hard for you to maintain your weight in Cambodia?

17. Buster

Buster Active Member

Thanks! Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard, as the trip is only for 1 week. I'm going to try and take some bagels and some protein bars that I can snack on if there are times where there's nothing else available.

Anyone foresee any problems taking protein bars/bagels on an aeroplane? I won't be taking it in hand luggage...

18. Buster

Buster Active Member

Well, it's been some months since my last update! I had a long patch where I was only going to the gym a few times per week and not eating well enough.

Now, I've just gotten back into it and am on a 3x/week routine for 4 weeks, when I will step it up to 4x/week for 4 further weeks. I'm around the mid 140s and am looking to get to the mid 150s and upwards. Note: as you can see from my posts above, I've been looking to do that quite unsuccessfully for some time! Somehow, I got above 160 last year, and I just can't seem to do it again.

Hopefully this will be the time...

Hope you're all well :tucool: