1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bumper Plates

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by zenpharaohs, Jun 23, 2007.

1. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Plates that really bounce, I'm gonna be dropping them a lot on stone. I have a thick rubber mat on top of the stone, but with the iron plates I'm still breaking stones. So I want really soft bumper places.

Which brands are good? Anyone have a line on a deal?

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

In particular I am looking at this set.

3. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Seeing "Free Shipping" on there blew me away. Thanks for the link! I've been looking around the last couple of months here and there for some bumper plates. The ones I've found with decent prices were pretty expensive for shipping. Let us know if you get those (or something else) and how they are, please.

That's all I have to add, sorry I don't have any good suggestions. :(

4. swalker

swalker Active Member

5. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah it looks like you can get bumper plates in that price range.

The essential point is that I have been informed that not all bumper plates are flexible enough to protect the floor, that there is a good deal of difference in how well the plates perform from one brand to another.

The deal I found is from people that specialize in Olympic lifting, so I assume their plates really work.

The reason I started this thread was to see if anyone here has enough experience to say which brands of bumpers are the good ones.

6. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I actually saw some bumper plates in Play it Again Sports the other day, but I couldn't get anybody to wait on me for about 10 minutes, so I left irritated.

I'd love to set up a homemade platform in the garage. I wonder if it would hold up to parking a car on top of the plywood for long? I assume it would probably be OK.

I bring no suggestions, either.

7. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

zen, have you considered building up your lifting platform? I saw an article on it, and its pretty easy.

It's 3 pieces of plywood. The bottom two are 8'x8' Grade C (I think), then, the top one is 5' x 8' centered (higher grade).

You basically put the two plywood pieces down with one turned 90 degrees. Then center the smaller one and put thick rubber horse mats on either side. It will protect the floor from cracking because it will distribute the weight better.

http://forums.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=22748&highlight=homemade+platform

#7 kmfisher, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  8. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Pendlay's are supposed to be some of the best non brand name sets. If you want to go with real high quality though, Ivanko, Eleiko, or Werksan would be where to look.

swalker's link has some Ivanko sets in it. I don't know anything about those other manufacturers though.