1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

bulletproof coffee - what?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by haydenth, Oct 22, 2012.

1. haydenth

haydenth Well-Known Member

I've stumbled upon recipes all over the internet for "bulletproof coffee" which basically seems to be coffee + butter + some oil. To me, it seems like just saturated fats + caffeine.

Example:
    http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/
    http://www.cavemanklaus.com/health/bulletproof-coffee-the-best-breakfast/

Is this just non-sense or is there some legitimacy to this? I'm not convinced that just because butter is "grass fed" that it is a "good fat" (ie avocados)

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I don't see the point.

3. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Damn I love butter!!!!!!.......I'm actually bordering on butterholism....

I didn't know it tasted good in coffee....thanks for the tip......:drool:

4. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

well I guess good old-fashioned cream gets boring sometimes.....:)

5. baldridges

baldridges Well-Known Member

From what I have researched, it looks like this wouldn't really be something you would use on a traditional cutting or even bulking/high protein diet.
    The bulletproof coffee craze is used a lot in high fat diets for those seeking to reach fad-adaptation/ketosis. It is increasingly popular for endurance athletes. The thinking behind it, according to Ben Greenfield is along the lines of "waking up and keeping your body in a state of fat utilization . . . you want to stay away from carbs and proteins for breakfast because proteins can be converted to carbohydrates through a process called gluconeogenesis. You can get your body into ketone or fatty acid utilization by mixing fats to make your coffee. You get a double whammy: you not only limit proteins and carbs and only give your body that fat satiating fat to keep your body in that metabolically efficient state, the caffeine in the coffee is mixed in with these fats and activates what are called the terpenoids in the coffee and these actually enhance the effects of coffee in terms of the mental impact. The grass-fed butter and fat has a lot of really great antibacterial properties and immune boosting properties. The butter itself amplifies your ability to utilize fatty acid by blocking glucose uptake, and use the fatty acid as an energy source."

6. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Why would an endurance athlete care about this?

7. baldridges

baldridges Well-Known Member

If you are in a true state of ketosis, your body will burn fat as a primary source of energy instead of carbs. This would enable an athlete to perform longer without having to worry about the traditional 200-300 calories per hour needed to replenish glycogen storage with gels, sports beans, etc. Instead you can go much longer without constantly replenishing. I've heard the analogy that if you are running on carbs it's like keeping a fire going with pine needles . . . having to constantly keep piling them in a fire, while using fat is like a slow burning log.

I'm not sure how I feel about this . . . but this is the argument I have heard several times in favor of fat adaptation.

8. geobuilder

geobuilder Active Member

Instead of butter I use Coconut oil for the MCT' s.
    (medium chain triglycerides)

9. MT77

MT77 Active Member

I do the same, but with Coconut milk. Yum!