1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bulking without Creatine

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by shogun4877, Feb 18, 2004.

1. shogun4877

shogun4877 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I was wondering how effective you think my bulking phase will be if I don't use creatine. I intend to follow the guidelines in the bulking sticky as closely as possible, and I will be supplementing with 2-3 whey protein shakes a day and glutamine. Thanks very much for any help you can offer. :D

2. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

you will do just fine.

but why not take creatine? i see no reason not to

heck, your only gonna get greater benefit from it! :bb:

3. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

hey glad you liked the guide - feels good to be of any help by sharing what I have learned.
    I remember how it felt when I started and knew nothing :tu:
    (I still consider myself a beginner with lots to learn)

I tried creatine for one 5 week cycle - and found that I didn't react at all to it - no water weight gain, no increased strength, and no effect of my gain curves during or after I went off of it... :confused:

aparently 30% of people are "non-responders" to supplimental creatine.

I have enough left to try one more 5 week cycle; I have it sitting on my shelf and I am meaning to start it again and give it the benefit of the doubt one last time, but havent got around to it; I really wasn't impresed with it, and spent the whole time I was on it worrying about my kidneys :p

you really need to make sure you get your 4-6 liters of water per day when on creatine - both because creatine needs the water to do what creatine "does" and if you get dehydrated while on it, the kidneys have a hard time processing concentrated creatine.

check out this post for more info about taking creatine:

creatine and dextrose

#3 SCHTEEVIE, Feb 18, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  4. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i've heard about that about creatine to.. seems weird

did you take creatine with some salt?

5. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

When I took Creatine a couple of years ago I got great gains from it including increased intensity of my workouts.

However when it comes down to it, creatine it just like any other supplement, you can get by without it as long as you lift hard and get enough rest and protein.

Marcus :tucool:

6. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

"back in the old days" :P they didn't have it, and still got huge, so no doubt you can succeed with out it.

7. NME

NME Well-Known Member

Yes Jingo, that's true. Also "back in the day," steroids were also unregulated.

Not that you can't make great gains without creatine, but your example implied that creatine was unnecessary based on the blueprint of yeteryear. This is not entirely accurate, of course (and everyone should realize that).

Since the merits of creatine have already been discussed, I'd like to give some input regarding the non-responder issue. There are creatine based supplements designed specifically for non-responders that, according to my resources, work wonders for those who normally see minimal or no gains as a result of creatine. These products include Swole v2 (by Syntrax, a company I personally trust) and V-12 (by San, a company I know very little but have heard no negativity about).

As you'll notice, the products contain alternate forms of creatine: DiCreatine Malate and TriCreatine Malate (respectively). They are, for all intents and purposes, the same substance.

TriCreatine Malate is creatine salt that is more earily digested than Creatine Monohydrate. It's formed by bonding malic acid with creatine. Because malic acid is naturally occuring in the human energy production (Krebs) cycle, the effects of it when combined with creatine are increased ATP production compared to Creatine Monohydrate. Other benefits are said to be a lack of retained water outside of the muscle tissue as the chemical compound does not contain a water molecule, and decrease stomach discomfort (if you've found that to be an issues with Creatine Monohydrate).

Some people have reported no gains when using either of these products as well, but the overwhelming response from users is that if "regular" creatine was ineffective you will be pleased with either of these products (although people seem to favor Swole over V12 in my experience). I've yet to use the supplements myself (I've still not determined whether I'm a creatine non-responder; in my previous uses of the supplement my diet was left quite a bit to be desired), so caveat emptor to any of you considering these products, but if what I've been told is accurate (and I have no reason to believe it isn't) then there may be hope for you non-responders after all.

...And on a slightly different note: make sure when you take your creatine (any kind) that you are supplementing it with enough dextrose to elicit an insulin spike. This is necessary, particular following a lifting session as it delivers the creatine through the blood stream and subsequently into the muscle cells more efficiently. I would imagine that this is the cause for the angst amongst many "non-responders" who simply don't realize the effects of dextrose on creatine and that those individuals may not be "non-responders" at all, perhaps just improper users.

8. shogun4877

shogun4877 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for your input. The reason I can't take creatine is because I'm currently on a 6-month course of Accutane. My doctor advised against it, and it doesn't seem like a good idea to me either. However, even when I get off Accutane I'm not sure that I want to take creatine. I have heard of lots of people having acne flareups while on creatine, and the last thing I want to do is relapse after committing myself to such a powerful drug for 6 months. If anyone has any creatine-related acne information, that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot everyone! :D

9. NME

NME Well-Known Member

I took accutane. It worked wonderfully for me. I too did not use creatine while on accutane and would advise that maintain that course (better safe that sorry, right?).

I can tell you that from my experience, creatine does not cause acne flare ups. Maybe the increased sweating coupled with less than stellar hygeine can cause flare ups or the spike in testosterone that comes as a result of a heavy lifting session. But you're still nervous about that, at least you know great gains can be made without creatine (you just shouldn't be afraid of it's effects on your complexion).

10. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i just came off accutane and took creatine.. zero flare ups what so ever.. and i had shitty re occuring acne before hand!