1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bulking Gone Bad!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by The1andonly, Feb 24, 2009.

1. The1andonly

The1andonly Active Member

So I've been bulking for the last 5 months and while looking at myself in the mirror today noticed that something went horribly wrong as in my body fat levels have gone really up.......however I still dont have the amount of muscle i want to have and dont want to finish cutting but at this rate....I am going to look like santa in 3 or 4 months (fat only concentrates in the stomach)......I

was thinking that instead of going into full cut mode....I will keep my current caloric intake, but just do Cardio more often (as in 5 times a week)......will this help the issue or should I just outright focus on the meals?

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

It might help, i assume you eat pretty clean?

3. Azure

Azure Active Member

Is that you in the picture?

I know its small and all, but you do look pretty good.

Extra HIIT could help for sure.

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Have you kept careful statistics of your weight and body measurements? If so, do you think you might have unrealistic expectations as to what is achievable in the time frame you've allotted? If not, how can you be sure you're accurately assessing your progress?

If you believe yourself to have gained fat too quickly, I would include some cardio (but not five times per week) and I would adjust calories so that you are gaining weight at a slower rate (but still gaining). Also, IMO, as the activities more naturally complement weight-training, sprinting or performing HIIT as your form of cardio is a better option than using any form of low intensity or steady state cardio.

However, you've also been bulking for a very long time, so it might be prudent to maintain for a while, let your metabolism settle, and your body get used to its new weight. Then, continue bulking or cut as you see fit.

#4 chicanerous, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  5. ms3jake

ms3jake Active Member

What are your macros and calories like? What is you height and weight? I have been in a similar boat as you gaining more fat than muscle. But this happens when I dirty bulk. Its frustrating not having enough muscle to cut yet.:bang:

6. The1andonly

I am 6'1 and 170 pounds......I was hoping to go up to 180 or 190.....In my avatar picture (which I took back in the middle of September) I was in the low 150s.

I am by no means big but it seems that the 20 pounds I gained went straight to my belly (my abs are not visible at all and in fact there's a nice little belly there already).......

I started bulking in October, initially pretty clean but steadily upping the amount of carbs i ate through the bulk. I have to say I probably have cheated more than I should have (thinking I was just sooo skinny i could afford it).

I guess instead of stopping the bulk I am going to make sure I clean up my diet.......and going to make sure I get at least 3 days of 30 minute cardio......I'll see how my body responds to that.....

7. The1andonly

Oh these were my original macros.

Meal 1:40 grams of Protein/40 carbs breakfast
    Meal 2: Protein Shake
    Meal 3:40 grams protein/40 carbs lunch
    Workout

Meal 4: Protein shake/80-90 carbs
    Meal 5:40 grams of protein/120 carbs
    Meal 6:Protein shake

My current macros are very similar but i just started adding extra carbs by drinking juice with my breakfast, more fatty things during lunch, and more carbs at dinner (by just eating more)...though they havent been controlled...i guess this is part of the issue.....

8. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

You only want to eat a couple hundred calories over maintenance when bulking...

9. artizzztik

artizzztik Active Member

I feel your pain, but I agree that steady state cardio probably isn't the best option. Something more like sprints would be better, though you can also do interval training on a bike or elliptical trainer so you don't have to deal with the impact on your joints.

Hop on a bike and try a 20 minute session broken into chunks. Ride at a steady pace with no resistance for four minutes, then crank the resistance way up and pedal like hell for one minute. Rinse and repeat four times.

I find it's best to do this after lifting. This way you're not going to the gym any more times throughout the week.

10. ms3jake

ms3jake Active Member

Exactly! Dont just assume you are skinny and can afford eat as much as you want. I have made this mistake before. Start with a couple hundred calories over maintenance and do compound moves always striving to get stronger. If you arent gaining weight add another 100 cal and see what happens. Dont just blindly add stuff here and there.

11. gray

gray Active Member

you will be able to lose the fat easily, don't stress it.

12. goonie

goonie Active Member

How do your lifting stats compare to when you were ~20 lbs lighter? At 170 lbs, the only way things could really be going bad here is if there's been a big jump in bodyweight without corresponding strength gains.

How many dips and chinups can you do at bodyweight now compared to when you were 155 lbs?

13. optheta

optheta Active Member

I also gained to much weight during my bulk, I blame to lack of intensity. My opinion is if your comfortable with the fat then keep bulking if not lose some weight and try again. I think its important feel comfortable with the amount of fat you have on you.

And Being a former fatty i still have some issues with getting to big of a gut.

14. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Where's your rouine?
    What exactly are you eating?
    6'1 @ 180? You got a ways to go my friend....and the time frame will be slow... don't let anyone fool you.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

I have gained some bf from bulking but I know it can come off easily if you have already mastered how to cut. What sort of workout are you doing? I find this has a big influence on how much you can get away with eating as I am doing compound lifting 3 times a week and find that i can eat a fair bit, easily 4000cal in a day and have my weight increase slow and steady.
    You are running a gauntlet if you don't keep a close eye on your food intake.
    Try doing things like drinking green tea with each meal and including fibrous veges, as well as heaps of water.
    If this is your first serious attempt at bulking don't be to hard on yourself and chalk it up to experience. But learn from it.

16. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm another one thats put on far too much fat while bulking. Put muscle on where it counts but added fat to my waist.

30yrs old, 5'11, 202lbs, 24-25% bf currently following Starting Strength with good strength gains.

I've had my bodyfat down to 17% at 170lbs in the past but felt small and weak.

What are the chances of continuing to gain strength and build muscle while not increasing or perhaps decreasing bodyfat?

17. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Where's your nutrition?

18. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry for not replying earlier. This is my usual meal plan :

M1 - Muesli with milk + 2 Toast
    M2 - Chicken or Tuna Wholemeal Sandwich
    M3 - Chicken or Tuna with Roasted vegetables
    M4 - PWO shake on lifting days/ pint milk non-lifting days
    M5 - Low fat natural yoghurt with fruit (grapes/rasberries/bluberries)

Calories approx 2350 lifting days/ 2050 non-lifting days. This diet was pretty much maintenance at 190lbs. Very sedentary during the week (apart from lifting) although usually do sports at weekend.

Unfortunately I let myself run wild with cheat meals and snacks this last six weeks. Weaned myself off of these the last few days and today was back to meal plan.

I know Meal one is very poor but when I eat within a few hours of waking many foods make me want to chuck:barf:

19. The1andonly

Spartan, your diet is not so bad, how are your workouts? Are they very high in intensity?

I've cleaned up my diet and ramped up the intensity of my workouts and I am starting to more or less see the results that I want.......

20. Spartan88

Media:
    Albums:
    For warm-up sets I take only the time it takes to change the weights and take 1 minute rest between work sets. That said, the workouts dont feel that intense. Maybe thats because of the relatively low volume. Whats a good measure of intensity?

Sticking to the diet now and will add a little cardio to non-lifting weekdays.