1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

BULKING - A beginner's guide

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by SCHTEEVIE, Jan 21, 2004.

1. haf63

haf63 Active Member

As I am at home, my workout is pretty much all based around dumbbells. I have about 15 exercises that cover all muscle groups and do 1 set of 12-15 reps every alternate day 3 times per week. The actual exercise are the normal lot from various websites :
    hammer curls, bench press, flys, shoulder press, lunges, bench rows, stiff leg lifts, situps, pressups, lateral raise, pullover, calf raise, etc

In between I try and do 30-40 min crosstrainer at around 70% Max HR. I am keen to minimise any increase in bodyfat (as its just taken me 2 months to get it off).
    As I said, I am not looking for bulging biceps or a 6 pack but just want to bulk up a little all round so maybe gain about a stone (currently just under 9 stones).
    I'm also unsure of how much protein i should have in my diet (about 2000 calories currently) and am currently going for 80g inc 1 protein drink per day. I have very little dairy or red meat as thats how i got fat in the frist place :-)

2. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Active Member

great guide man, i cant wait to try it out starting on monday, i just have one problem...

30% of 3000 = 900 cal
    900cal/(9cal/gram) = 100grams, not 220
    so, is there another multiplier in there or something i'm just not seeing?

thanks in advance for the clarification

PS i love the fact that you mentioned fitday, the website for those of us who have a little too muc OCD :P

3. goonie

goonie Active Member

You're dividing protein calories as if they were fat (ie. 9 cal/g instead of the correct 4cal/g).

4. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Active Member

haha, oops... that was a bonehead move. alright, thanks

5. gareth

gareth Active Member

my question is concerning cardio.

aften I run as fast and as far as possible, this sends my HR right up but according to some this elevated HR is detrimental to building muscle.

So should I limit my HR to the "fat burning" zone i.e. 75% of max hr or doesn`t it matter as I am not doing cardio on lifting days?

Thank you

6. Aleister bates

Aleister bates Active Member

very good info bro!many thanks.:tu:

7. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Why are you doing cardio, if you are trying to bulk. Cardio builds little if any muscle at all. You are eating more calories to build muscle, why are you trying to burn more calories for non-muscle producing exercise. I just don't understand. Do you have lung or heart problems that you think cardio will help.:confused:

8. gareth

gareth Active Member

Cardio is an excellent form of exercising and I believe should never be neglected. The question is concerning intensity. Some people tell me to cardio everyday others just on non-lifting days.

9. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If you, for whatever reason, have to do cardio during your bulking program, I would leave it to non-weightlifting days only. I would also make it a short, high intensity session; forget about this "fat burning zone" thing.

Elevated heart rate is not detrimental to building muscle. Just eat properly and you'll be fine.

10. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

This probably has nothing to do with what is being discussed but it may be relavent in some uncertain terms when it comes to bulking unrelated to taking it to the extreme "all-or-nothing" equivalent, ie- competitive bodybuilding. People can take from it what they deem interesting, and apply it in their own quest for fitness. strength, and staying in shape.

Bulking up, say 10% or more of contest weight is a good way to stretch the frame and add size over the first few years of competition. As you get closer to your size limit and need refinement over bulk its best to stay in the 5-8% over contest range. I like 3-4% for myself as that allows me good calories and food and some joint cushion without killing myself on the diet and losing more muscle on the way down then I put on in the off season. Ladies I have used the same figures with success for women too, and have had some awsome results with my female clients. Now the other thing is you must be comfortable with, is your off season size as well, its a mental thing. Its of no benefit to add 35# and loath yourself for it. Your better served by adding 10# training hard and having the proper mental outlook. There is no reason to add excessive bulk if it makes you uncomfortable. Now as far as the fat=size thing... thats bull. The joints do not need that much cushion, and you actually lose leverage when you add too much fat. Look at it this way, if I go to 220# and do squats, my form, leverage and style will be totally opposite then at 160#. Now the change in stance, counterbalancing my fat gut and other weight related porblems will not allow me to target my quads as well, thus limiting the effectiveness of the movements. Are curls more effective when you have a fat gut stopping full range of movement? How effective are bench presses when the chest is so rotund you only do a 4" movement? Now the extra fat will strech the dimensions of the frame, I agree, but when is the effect lost? Over 25 years I have see many bb's bulk up and diet down. The first two times its effective, and after that all they do is get fat, have a hard time getting hard and end up with nothing more then lose skin and stubborn fatty deposits. For naturals that's bad. Add some fat, the above mentioned guidelines should help, stay in the comfort zone and eat intellegently not excessively. Rememebr the formula 100 calories over BMR is all you need to build muscle. The rest is overkill.

11. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Personally, I never have done cardio....

Even if I did, I would not do it during a bulk...:nope:

12. _Marcus

_Marcus Active Member

hello, great thread!

I was looking for a new training routine and want to try this one. I don´t understand the names of most of this exercises:

is the a web page that shows pictures or videos of this exercises. I bet have already done most of them but my english isn´t just good enough for that words ;)

cheers, Marcus

13. _Marcus

_Marcus Active Member

14. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, SCHTEEVIE. :claphigh:

#94 carguy, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  15. SpencerK

SpencerK Active Member

I see a lot of split routines on here - If I do mainly compound exercises, ie - deads/squats/Rows/Press/Bench + 2 Iso's - will I see the same benefits as doing splits.

Many thanks.

16. xclutch

xclutch Active Member

When I workout my main days: chest/tri, shoulders/bi/upper back, legs/lower back, i always do 10 minutes of cardio right after, as well some ab work, some with weights some without.

does that 10 minutes of cardio prove to be counterproductive to my goal of gaining 10-20 pounds?

I'm really out of shape running wise, and I have noticed just these 10 minutes of cardio, keep me ahead of the game when I play pickup football or basketball games with my friends.

17. George

George Senior Member

Only if you are not eating enough to compensate for the extra activity. :)

PS: You might want to rearrange your split so that you aren't hitting shoulders right after chest/triceps. There's a lot of overlap between these muscle groups, IMO.

18. xclutch

xclutch Active Member

So should i do chest/tri then lower back/legs then biceps/shoulders/upper back ?

19. George

George Senior Member

That might work better. If you feel like your shoulders aren't recovered enough by your second lifting day you might want to give it a try.

20. xclutch

xclutch Active Member

I don't notice because that is the order I always do them in, my actual gym schedule fluctuates to any time I can actually get to the gym (of course not on back to back days though)

I never really feel my shoulders getting worked in my chest/tri day anyways though.