1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

BULKING - A beginner's guide

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by SCHTEEVIE, Jan 21, 2004.

1. popbelly

popbelly Well-Known Member

cardio is fine when bulking, just try to do it on seperate days from lifting, or at least 8 hours apart.

what kind of cardio do you do - HIIT/LISS ?

2. FatMom

FatMom Active Member

awsome guide !

just one question about the cardio.. how long ? 10 ? 20min ?

3. Hardwork

Hardwork Active Member

thank you for this awesome post...

however, i have a question to ask...

you mentioned in your post that every muscle should get worked ONLY once....otherwise, people would be training before the muscle has been FULLY recovered....
    does this only apply to people who have trained "a lot" already?
    or for beginners as well??

i had done some weight training for approximately a year or so 3 years ago, I havent done any since then, I have gotten back into it recently...

im wondering if I should bulk, training each muslce INTENSIVELY once a week. Or, I should adopt a upper/lower (which im doing currently) routine that trains the same muslce once every 3 days.

Can you clarify on this please? thank you!

4. Fifteen J

Fifteen J Active Member

I'm just curious on the rationale behind the "no cardio until 8 hours after lifting" rule. Is this for fear that you're simply burning what you'll need for muscle development through cardio?

If this is the case, I'd have to wonder how athletes bulk up so considerably given that they often go through a weightlifting routine and practice (far more than an average CV exercise)/conditioning in the same day.

5. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

Hi I need to consume about 155 g of protein to accomandate my body weight, however so far im only managing 120 or so and that is with shakes. I train heavy 3 times a week, what i want to know is, if i dont comsume 155g or more, will my muscles not grow and as a result be wasted time at the gym. Its a finance issue, my mum finds it very difficult to keep up with what i need to eat.

6. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

Please guys this is a real problem for me,i need a way around it

7. mudphud

mudphud Active Member

Probably best to start a seperate thread but realize that as some people here say "muscles are made in the kitchen, not the gym." There isn't "a way around it." On the other hand 1 gram protein per lb. body weight is just a rule of thumb but getting enough protein is important.

I can't speak to your finances but with careful shopping you can hopefully find a cheap protein source. Cottage cheese, beans, tofu? Start a thread in the intro forum and people will probably be able to help you find an affordable diet with enough protein.

8. Waj

Waj Active Member

I've just done some of the chest/triceps exercises, but faded drastically over the course of the workout. I started out with the bench presses but by the time I got to the close hand bench presses I was only able to do about half of what I did before. There are 3 things that come to mind.

1. This is totally normal and because the exercises are slightly different, there is little to worry about.
    2. This is normal but I should change the order around every time I go so that I'm getting maximum work on each group (ie, do Triceps first one time, chest first the next).
    3. I'm either starting out too heavy or have poor form.

Any advice on this issue?

9. stevie

stevie Active Member

Thanks

Awesome thanks for this. Ive been reading a lot of different and conflicting info on sites/forums and this has really cleared up a lot of my questions. Is this exactly the same as the Max-OT program or has it been tweaked??

Ive just finished the John Berardi Scrawny to Brawny program and had good success but unsure where to go next. Ive gained about 10 lbs in 4-5 months (1st time ever putting on weight), a good strength increase but still not as much as I'd like. So basically Im thinkin of trying this routine, has anyone else tried it that can give some feedback?

10. sai-man

sai-man Active Member

Hey guys, was wondering if is not good to throw in some dead lifts into this routine, possibly on the shoulder day. From what I have heard they are important to build substantial mass and also work directly on your traps.

11. markerpen

markerpen Active Member

hi SCHTEEVIE ..hey guys....

is it ok if I do cardio after my workout routine...maybe 15-20 min....?

thanks....

#71 markerpen, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  12. gareth

gareth Active Member

What is the recommended lifting cadence 1010? 2020?

13. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Nope, very counter productive to do cardio right after lifting..

14. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

:confused:

15. skinsfootball23

skinsfootball23 Active Member

I mostly understand the idea of the workout to use for bulking, but the diet not so much. All of the % kinda confused me. Could somebody try explaining it a little simplier or give me an example of a good diet that might have worked for you?

16. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Take your BMR and multiply that by the activity factor (using the Harris Benedict Formula). Then add on 500.

Multiply that number by 0.4 to get your protein calories
    Multiply that number by 0.4 to get your carbs calories
    Multiply that number by 0.2 to get your fats calories

Then, start making a diet. You would want to choose foods, such as:

Protein - lean red meat, chicken, eggs, turkey, tuna, other fish, protein powder

Carbs - sweet potato, brown rice, oats, broccoli, green beans

Fats - olive oil, flaxseed oil, natural peanut butter, egg yolks

Sort that out, post it up and get some critique on it. :) Then, do the same for a weight training plan. I advise you to pick an "out of the box" one, or if you want to be creative, then go ahead.

That will get you started.

Good luck! :)

17. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

A Big Thanks to...

SCHTEEVIE. I have redesigned my routine using your methods. Holy cow I am noticing a huge difference in how I feel and look. Thanks a lot, sir!

18. haf63

haf63 Active Member

I am new to this so doing my research at the moment. I am 44, 5'7" and 126 pounds and want to bulk up a bit (not get huge muscles etc). For past 2 months I have been doing cardio to get rid of the excess stomach fat and have lost half a stone so feel better.
    Anyway I have been reading this forum and the one at bodybuilding.com and the advice for beginners seem to be conflicting.
    This entry says do each muscle group once a week with 3 sets per exercise and only do one muscle group per day. whereas the equivalent entry at bodybuilding says do only 1 set per muscle group and do all the muscle groups on the same day then take a day off and repeat. Their entry is called '3 day workout for quick mass'
    http://bodybuilding.com/fun/hitworkout.htm

Any advice on which would suit me best - as i said i'm not wanting to be a bodybuilder just bulk up a bit as am current stick thin all round

19. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

That's a classic "split" vs fullbody workout. It is not a confliction, just more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. Both work fine.

20. haf63

haf63 Active Member

Thanks Foley, I will start with the full body workout on alternate days and see how it goes.