1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

BULKING - A beginner's guide

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by SCHTEEVIE, Jan 21, 2004.

1. aerome

aerome Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining Max OT

I am just starting serious weight training. Before I just did toning. Your article is great and worth following. My hang up is diet. I eat too much junk. I'm 74" at 245# with 40" waist, 44"chest,15!/2" arms and 31% bf. So you see I got along way to go. Yours ,Tommy

2. Jim88

Jim88 Well-Known Member

Great Info!

Thank you for all of this great info, I am going to start this program tommorow, I will update you on how it works out. :claplow:

3. Seefor

Seefor Well-Known Member

I am supposedly cutting at the moment, but your post was a great read which I think can be used in the weight training I do now anyway. Maybe the results won't be as great as when in a calorie surplus, but hey - it can't harm! :bb:

4. _Christopher_

_Christopher_ Well-Known Member

I dont understand something...

" it is near impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time - so don't try to."

Then why do people here tell me to lift weights while I am trying to lose fat? People have said they have gotten stronger while losing weight doing cardio and weight training.

Seems like a contradiction? I'm very confused! :confused:

5. Thomas Martin

Thomas Martin Well-Known Member

Think what he means is do them both but at seperate days. So you do 3 days of weight lifting and 2 days of cardio, monday to friday(This is what I do and take the weekend off).

6. BeefKakBuk

BeefKakBuk Well-Known Member

Strength is not = muscle mass. You can get stronger without adding muscle mass.

If you don't lift weights while cutting you will loose more muscle than if you do lift weights. Look at it this way. Lifting weights causes your body to think muscle is more important than fat. So if you are loosing weight, lifting weights will cause your body to drop the fat and keep the muscle. If you are gaining weight and lifting, you body will be more likely to pack on muscle than fat. In some people(and most newbies) the shock of weightlifting will actually cause the body to drop fat and add muscle.

I think you are over thinking this too much. It seems that you are LOOKING for conflicting information. Eat better and lift weight and exercise. It is really simple. If you want to loose weight eat less or exercise more, To gain weight eat more. Eat for weight, exercise for bodyfat%.

7. _Christopher_

"I think you are over thinking this too much. It seems that you are LOOKING for conflicting information. Eat better and lift weight and exercise. It is really simple. If you want to loose weight eat less or exercise more, To gain weight eat more. Eat for weight, exercise for bodyfat%."

I probably am thinking about it too much. I tend to over analyze things sometimes but I'm not looking for conflicting info, per se.

8. PetriJR

PetriJR Well-Known Member

My interpretation of this is that you can't do a 100% succesfull bulking (meaning eating a lots of cals combined with weight training and building muscles that way) with cutting as they have definite conflicting daily cal requirements, bulking requires more cals and cutting requires less cals.

But, if you are cutting and doing weight training at the same time, I think that it's most certainly possible to gain some muscle and lose fat at the same time. The muscle gains are probably much less impressive than what they could be if you would do a clean bulk and wouldn't have to worry about cutting at the same time.

At least I have lost fat and I see definite improvements e.g. in my triceps and biceps with my own eyes (my wife sees it too... :nod: ) and I'm definitely cutting and also doing weights at the same time. I'm definitely not losing muscle, that's for sure!

9. _Christopher_

Nice. Thanks PetriJR.

By the way, I can't bend my arm backwards without it aching like a mother right now! I better gain some muscle for this soreness!

:)

10. WickedOyster

WickedOyster Well-Known Member

A few quick questions before i start in

I have been lifting for three and a half years now on and off, and i learned most of what i know in high school weight training. You write in your article that you were improving your lifts five percent a week, while only lifting them once a week? Thats almost what is was like for me when i started, except i was lifting three/four times a week. Did those rates of improvement maintain for you past the first three weeks?
    Really i have just been looking for some direction, which your guide has really provided me. I find myself at the gym everyday with two or three lifts in mind, then poking around for half an hour getting not much done.
    I go to the gym everyday and would just as soon cut out the days off, as i have been lifting pretty steady the past four or five months, though with little improvement. I know my DOMS will be gone 2 days after i lift, no matter what. For someone like me, do you still think not taking days off will hurt my bulking? When i start taking days off i lose momentum, this is what always leads to the one or two week laspes in lifting. Should i look for another guide?
    Thanks so much for putting this thing together, it looks like it took a while, and has been really helpful.
    The WickedO

11. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

glad to have been of any help to you.

to answer some of your questions...

I did manage to keep a pretty good strength gain curve for the first 6 months, and then definently noticed a plateau. I changed things up and started a cutting phase around that time, and when I went back to bulking I broke through and saw strength/muscle mass gains again.

Bottom line is, you need to find something that works for you and keeps you motivated. good luck! :tu:

I have been very busy with work lately and actually have taken a month off as my sleep/eating was suffering with all the working and related stress. No point going to the gym when sleeping and eating are not on track - I can't afford to get sick.
    I am looking forward to getting back at it next month when things slow down again.

12. CliffJ

CliffJ Guest

This is going to be so helpful thanks alot :tu:

13. gradient

gradient Well-Known Member

thanks for the guide SCHTEEVIE..

a few questions, and some info about me.

I'm 20, male, 6'5" ~180lbs. My arms and legs are pretty thin, but still somewhat muscular looking, same with chest and abs.

I'm going to start working out in preperation for either being a firefighter or paramedic. (I'm taking an EMT-B class right now)

For the warmups, as I understand it, you warm up a muscle group once before you work out. Though when you say "1 set at 50% for 10-12 reps" 80%, etc. Does the percentage signify the overall effort you're putting into each rep? You go slower and take your time in the "warm up" reps? While in the 100% reps and your subsequent 3x6-8's you are going somewhat quick and exerting yourself fully?

I want to do cardio, but I don't want to limit my muscle gain. Will doing 2-3 days of cardio with abs severely limit weight or muscle gains?

How often should I switch up exercise types for a muscle? Is it done for variety, and mental benefit, or do you see more muscle gain when varying how you work them?

I'm sure these questions are covered somewhere else, but the amount of information available is almost too much for a beginner, and I'd really appreciate your input, thanks!

14. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

welcome "gradient", and good luck with your goals...

now, to attempt some of your answers:

the warm-up percentage indicates what percent of your MAX weight to use.
    ie: if your heavy sets are 6x100 lbs then when you warm up for 12 reps with 60% it would be 12x60 lbs.

cardio is fine when bulking, just try to do it on seperate days from lifting, or at least 8 hours apart.

vary exercises as you wish; but keep in mind, it is tough to track progress if you change too many variables too often.

this whole thing is very personal - you have to do what works for you.
    good luck and keep us informed.

15. wknipe

wknipe Well-Known Member

Stuck at 160

Hi, Im new to this forum but Ive been reading it for quite awhile.Ive come to the same conclusions concerning diet, weight training etc.For the first month I went from 150 to around 165. Now I realize not to expect that all the time but for the past few months Ive been getting stronger, but not gaining any muscle mass or weight. Im stuck at 165. Ive always had a fast metabolism, so I wonder if I need more than the 18 calories per pound of muscle? Ive tried changing my routine, Im always increasing weight ,etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way,this is a great site! My wife has been following the fat loss part, and has went from 28% bf to just under 20% and lost 26# in a little under 3 months. Great Site, Thanks, wknipe

16. wknipe

wknipe Well-Known Member

Well, I feel like an idiot.I havent been keeping up with my body fat%.I just checked it and Ive been losing body fat as I gain muscle.Its been over a long enough period of time that I didnt realize I was making any gains. Just goes to show you have to look at the overall picture,(weight, body fat%, measurements,and pictures) thanks, wknipe

17. Dead-head

Dead-head Well-Known Member

Math problem:

1) If you get 2g of protein/lb of lean mass, and each g of protein has 4 kcal, you'll be getting 8 kcal from protein/lb of lean mass.

2) If you get 8 kcal from protein/lb of lean mass, and 18 kcal total/lb of lean mass. Your percent calories from protein is 8/18 or 44%.

1.5g of protein/lb of lean mass, and 18 total kcal/lb of lean mass would give you 33% calories from protein.

18. Benjammin

Benjammin Well-Known Member

Dude, your routine that you posted here has kicked massive ass. I have been using it for 2 months now, not missing a single workout. 4 days a week. Seriously, I am seeing gains left and right. It has helped me notice improvements all over my body, especially my shoulders/traps and tri's/bi's. Good work dude. Seriously, I reccomend this routine to anyone who can get in a gym 4 days a week.

One thing I did was on the shoulder days, I added db military press right after the machine military. Mostly because my stabilizers were shit at the time, but now they can keep up. That really helpmed me see some nice gains. Thanks a lot, great article.

19. xtian

xtian Well-Known Member

John Stones Birthday

Any one know when it is

20. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

Not the right place for this. Make a new topic on the main page.