1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bulk BCAA calories

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by chris0374, Aug 4, 2007.

1. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

I was wondering how many calories (or grams of BCAAs) are in a tsp of bulk BCAAs? I saw John's food log and did my own calculations based on the product fact on the container and they do not match... I can't put them on my food scale because the scale doesn't register for such small weight as 5 grams (which is the amount i'l be using throughout the day).

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I've not seen them listed on anything, but I suspect they would be the same as protein...4 calories per gram.

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

The total calories for the 3 amino acids (valine, leucine, isoleucene) is about 1 calorie per gram. If, as an example, you used 15 gr bcaa powder during training, it would roughly equate to 15 calories. You'd burn those calories up on your first warmup set alone. Hardly worth counting the calories.

If you were consuming an EAA product which cantained anywhere from 18-22 amino acids, these would constitute more of a complete protein fraction. Four calories per gram. In that case, I'd consider counting the calories especially if they were included with meals.

4. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Thanks mastover, I've always wondered that.

I think another place I saw the caloric info in BCAAs was in what trueprotein.com has. If you make a formula, their nutritional display shows it as 4 calories per gram (120 calories for 30 g). I bet they just took the logical path I was going down :)

5. mastover

I think there may be some flaws in TP's custom solution calculating process. When you type in isoleucine, it registers 0 gr of calories, and 0 gr of protein. Yet when you type in valine or leucine, it regisers each one as 4 grams of protein per gram. :confused:

No biggie though. I usually never count the calories in the bcaa's I use during my training. I have enough probs keeping tabs on all the other foods I eat during the day. When you're running on 3-4 remaining brain cells, it kinda gets tough to do. LOL :rolleyes:

6. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

I never knew that. So the 1Teaspoon of bulk bcaa equalling 5g of BCAA in John's food log is correct?

7. mastover

It depends on the consistancy of the powder. A very fine powder will yield more weight density per teaspoon, as opposed to a courser, fluffier mix.

I'd estimate anywhere from 3-5 grams.