1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Building a Superhero Body

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by J_W, Sep 23, 2008.

1. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:lol: I'm the exact opposite. I love shoulder and chest work; lower body not so much. Too bad we couldn't train together; maybe it would rub off on each other.

Awesome job on the PR! :claphigh:

2. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :evil:

There's a bad joke in there somewhere...

3. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah, I really have to force myself to do upper body stuff and other assistance exercises. I'd be happy doing nothing but squats and deadlifts :lol:.

Just heard back from the research institute I applied to and they don't want to interview me. I know I was qualified for the job and thought for sure that I'd at least get asked to interview. So I replied asking them for the reason so that I can correct whatever I did wrong when I write my next applications. It's a good thing I set a new PR in the gym today or else I'd be stuffing my face with chocolate ice cream just about now in order to drown my sorrows. :blank:

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the new PR!

Sooo, if I'm following this correctly the original, soon to be retired professor will be able to chair as originally thought, right?

5. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

No, a replacement had to be found. Thankfully, somebody else was available. The department had been told (incorrectly, as it turned out) by the dean's office that the professor would be able to sit on the examination board for another year. That was the only reason he agreed to do it in the first place. He was unaware that it was going to be a problem.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So, other than the fact that I had everything completely backwards I understood exactly what was happening. :lol: I'm glad that it appears to be settled, though.

Meant to write this before. I think your decision to contact the institute and ask for some clarification is a good one. Hopefully they'll respond.

7. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

You should see mens shirts...

"Fitted" shirts must be made using an obese model.
    I wear 17" neck 37" sleeve shirts...I have to have them tailored by taking out a mile in the waist area...

I have always wanted to start a clothing line called big [highlight]or[/highlight] tall.
    Its always big and tall...like just because I am 6'5" with long arms I am supposed to be fat too...:rolleyes:

BTW, nice squatting!

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Yeah, we've had this discussion. Clothes are not made for fit people anymore :(

9. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

So, the professors and staff who work in Universities are supposed to be some of the most intelligent people in their fields, and yet they still have problems like this. Just goes to show you that having someone with good operational/organizational skills is critical to making any enterprise work well.
    I've always thought the only shirts that were long enough to fit my arms were made to fit a gorilla. I have the same issue in that if they fit me in the arms, there's enough fabric in the waste to make a parachute and a bedspread and a flag.

:nod:

10. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

We'll see. I don't really expect an answer. At least they were polite enough to actually let me know that they weren't interested... unlike some other potential employers I've encountered over the past few months.

The only option seems to be to either get them tailored or just make your clothes yourself. Back to the 1700's! :lol:

How true. Over the past few months I've found out that the cliché of the absent-minded professor isn't a cliché at all. :nope:

Thanks, gentlemen! :)

===
    Cardio
    Brisk walk
    30 mins
    No HR monitor

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Or maybe there's another option. :spaz:

Google put this ad at the bottom of your journal:
    http://www.indidenim.com/oo/navigation/womens-jeans

Whether you like to stand out or blend in, indi jeans will reflect you. Is your look urban hip or comfy casual? modest or a little sexy? trendy or rebellious? Or maybe you like to be a little of everything. No worries, we’ve got all the options covered.

You choose the fabric, style options and finishing details.
    It’s no secret that women come in all shapes and sizes so we also ask for a few measurements to provide for a perfect custom fit. Each garment is then crafted to your preferences, creating one-of-a-kind jeans.

Your custom jeans will be shipped directly to you in approximately four weeks, and each product is covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. from $135.00​

For years, I've been browsing all of the recommended items at MyShape.com, as inspiration. You put all your measurements in, which creates a personal shop. This shop will suggest which styles best flatter your body, and will automatically tell you what size garment to order. You're probably an S like me. I've never ordered from them, but one of these days I will treat myself to some of these gorgeous outfits. :dreamy:

12. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Sweet! Thanks for the link. :)

====

My workout was a bit disappointing since I failed to get the weight I was shooting for on bench press (2x47.5). :( I did add some volume to the exercise, but it was still disappointing.

I think I'm going to have to change my strategy a bit. Instead of alternating bench press and overhead press every week, I'm going to focus on bench press for a while since it's lagging behind my other lifts. Furthermore, I'm going to start using my chains again and will shoot for a 3RM instead of a 1RM. So next week I'm going to aim for three reps at 45kg + 600 g (chains). The week after that I'll go for 45kg + 1.2 kg. So on and so forth...

ME - Upper

Flat bench press: work up to 1-3RM w/ triples, up to 5 mins rest
    5@20 (N/A, extra set)
    3@25 (same weight, -2 reps)
    3@30 (same weight, same reps)
    3@35 (same weight, same reps)
    3@40 (same weight, same reps)
    1@47.5 FAIL on 2nd rep (+2.5 kg, -2 reps)
    2@45 (+5kg, +1 rep)

BB push-ups: 3 x max reps (3-4 mins rest)
    14/11/9 = 34 total (+ 3 reps)

BB row: 3x8-12
    5@30 (same weight, same reps)
    11@35 (same weight, +1 rep)
    10@35 (same weight, +1 rep)
    9@35 (same weight, same reps)

Rotator cuff circuit: 3-6 reps per exercise
    4@2x1.25

15 mins aerobic intervals

13. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Don't fret....I think pressing is just like that....

When squatting or pulling , I seem to fail more gracefully as I approach ME. However, when benching or doing standing press, I seem to fall off a cliff when I get just beyond ME...

That's why adding 10 pounds to your press is such a big deal...but adding 10 to your dead...easy...

Naturally, it could just be me...:lol:

14. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

No, I don't think it's just you. Personally, I've made the most progress on bench press and overhead press on Starting Strength and using microloading. Going up in increments of 600g seems to work much better than bigger jumps or trying to increase reps - at least when it comes to pressing. That's why I'm going to go back to using microloading and see if I can break this plateau.

===

Good kick-ass workout today. RE Lower is brutal. Those bike sprints get me every time. I always leave the gym all :cry:/:dreamy:.

RE - Lower

Jump squats: 5-8x1-3
    10@BW
    8x3@2x7.5 (same weight, same reps)

Bulgarian split squat w/ front and back leg elevated: 2x8-10
    9@2x7.5 (same weight, +1 rep)
    9@2x7.5 (same weight, +1 rep)
    10@2x7.5 (same weight, +1 rep)

Back extensions w/ plate held in front of face: 3-8x12
    5@BW
    12@10 (same weight, +1 rep)
    12@10 (same weight, +2 reps)
    11@10 (same weight, +1 rep)

Russian twist: 4x10-15
    13@20
    14@20
    14@20
    15@20

Bike sprints
    1 minute warm-up
    6 minutes intervals (40 secs rest), 5x20 secs, 1x25 secs = 125 secs total (+5 secs)

#714 J_W, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  15. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

One week to go until my exam. I'm not motivated to study at all. :blank:

I will do a refeed week starting next Saturday. I've been cutting for eight weeks and need a bit of a break. Plus I don't think that restricting calories and carbs when I have this important exam is the smartest idea.

I sent off another job application today and put a ton of effort into it. I hope it pays off.

===

Cardio
    Brisk walk
    28 mins
    No HR monitor

16. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Good move having a refeed. A break after 8 weeks, especially as you are having steady success, sounds good as well as during the stress of your final exam:)

:gl: for this new application.

17. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

Ugh, I know that feeling all too well.

I have this hair-brained idea that when studying, to eat a particular type of food (and eat it only when studying) then eat it during the exam. I figure the association triggers some kind of memory thing. I don't know if it works, but I used to snack on almonds and sultanas during a Stats subject a couple of years ago. The lecturer was super-boring, so the almonds were basically a crunchy food designed to keep me awake in the stuffy lecture theatre. When doing Epidemiology last year, I couldn't get over how much the talk of chi-squares and such like made me crave almonds. Crazy!

At any rate, good luck. LOTS of good luck. And I definitely agree about refeeding during exam revision.

18. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Thanks for the good luck wishes, gals! I just got a very necessary motivational boost. My final thesis grade is finally in and I got an A. :):):) My supervisor was very pleased with my work and expressed this in the official report. I'm stoked.

#718 J_W, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  19. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

AWESOME CHRISTY:claphigh::claphigh:

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's wonderful news Christy!