1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

building a home gym

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Xkn, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Xkn

Xkn Well-Known Member

So I think I'm a little too anxious to await the mythical titan killer (plus I can do it on my own cheaper, as I don't really need all that functionality). My current thoughts are this:

I have a 3rd car garage that I'm going to use for my gym.

Rack/cage- http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8515.html
    The one on the right with the cable pulley system. I found another site where I think I can get it for about 1k shipped. I'm gonna put this on a layer of plywood to avoid damage to the concrete, and also separately build a deadlift platform with plywood/horse mat rubber. I may get the dip attachment.

I got a used Hoist bench fairly cheap- http://www.hoistfitness.com/consumer/equipment/hf-4165_6-position-f-i-d-bench

It looks unstable but is rock solid. Most of my upper body is heavy dumbbells. I only use barbells for squats/deads/SLDL that kind of thing. I plan to eventually get the leg ext/curl attachment.

I figure with this combo of equipment, and an olympic barbell with a ton of plates, plus some dumbbell handles with a ton of standard plates I should be able to do pretty much anything I'd need.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0030.html

I'm not worried about cardio. Anything major I would be overlooking with this set-up?

Thanks for the commentary!

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

You can do almost anything with a barbell, plates, a half rack, an adjustable bench and some dumbells...

Don't wait around for some gimmick...:nope:...you would be spending thousands extra for something that can't possibly be better than good 'ol squats, deads, standing press, bench, dips and pullups.....and the other gazillion things you can do with a barbell or dumbell...

Free weights are better. Period.

Also, I am in the same camp as Mastover on cardio.....it isn't necessary....I didn't say it wasn't good....just not necessary...

...and if you want some cardio....ride a bike or run around the block....or better yet....barbell complexes...:eek:.....save your money for something else...:nod:

#2 digitalnebula, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. Xkn

Xkn Well-Known Member

Oh I agree, that's why I'm going for this type of setup. Fairly basic, but enough to cover everything that's necessary. I also have a park across the road where I can do sprints!

I'm torn now on which rack to get. I really like that TDS c-8515, as it looks super solid and stable (I won't be able to bolt anything to the ground). However, the place I thought I could order it from doesn't carry it anymore, so I'd be ordering it from NYBB for 1250ish with shipping including the lat attachment. Now I'm seeing this for $940 shipped http://dumbbellbuddy.com/powertec/powertec_rack_system.html

It has a little smaller footprint, so it seems like it'd be a little more wobbly than the TDS, and also doesn't come with weight holding posts, though it does have dip bars. The lat attachment comes with a knee/leg pads for pulldowns, instead of the foot plates for rowing, which I guess is a toss-up. And the TDS foot plates look like they'd get in the way while squatting unless they're easily removable, which I'm not sure about.

Kinda leaning toward the powertec simply because it'd save me 300 bucks, though I'd go with the other given similar pricing. Argh.

4. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

5. Xkn

Xkn Well-Known Member

Nice looking rack there. I just ordered the powertec combo. It has pretty good reviews, and I like the versatility having the cable pulleys on it. It should be plenty stable for me. I just bought 915 lbs of used olympic plates and some dumbbells (which I'll tear apart for my adjustable handles) for $.50/lb, and the olympics are nice Ivanko's with the holes in em for easy holding. A steal really. Think all I need to get now are said handles, a barbell or two, and I'll be good to go! Still gonna have to make that deadlift platform, though!

6. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I built a platform years back and it has stood the test of time.

Tough to explain, but it consists of 6 sheets of plywood and 4 horse stall mats.

The plywood has two layers.
    1st layer: =|
    2nd layer: |=

Screw 'em together and you have a nice 8' x 12' surface with some shock absorption. Then, four 4' x 6' horse stall mats to cover it....

Back in the day, I did a lot of Oly lifting and pounded the bejesuz out of it with bumper plates.....and its still as good as new.

Just an idea...horse stall mats are one of the most indestructible surfaces you can buy....the plywood just provides some shock absorption so you don't crack the concrete underneath.

7. Xkn

Xkn Well-Known Member

Yea, I'm gonna try to get a hold of some mats and build one like this:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123382101&page=1

I don't need anything as big as yours... I don't do any other olympic lifts, not to mention I don't have that much space! Just need it for deads. Do you think this platform will be enough to protect my concrete from 400-500 lb deads with regular non-bumper plates? I'd imagine so as it's pretty thick. The mats alone probably would, heh.

8. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Should be fine for deads...

Now, dropping a loaded bar after doing snatches? Not so much...:lol:

--

Edit: Pro tip: When cutting the mat with a utility knife, use some WD-40 to lube it up...I remember that from somewhere....

9. Xkn

Xkn Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm the least handy man in the world. I was just going to use a jigsaw with a wood blade. Hopefully that's not a stupid idea. :P

10. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Meh....just don't cut off any digits...:lol:

11. Xkn

Xkn Well-Known Member

Jeez, I never realized how complicated buying a barbell could be. :P
    I was thinking of getting two- one stiff with center knurling for heavy lifts, and one cheaper without center knurl for things like front squats/standing press. Thing is, the good heavy power bars sound like they have deep knurling that would rip up my hands if I did higher rep sets on deads, and the cheaper bar I'd get as a secondary probably wouldn't hold up were I to swap for said deads. Unless I plan on spending a grand on bars, which I certainly wasn't. :/

The Rogue bar sounds like a good option. Seems strong enough for heavy work, and the black zinc helps back grip (doesn't have center knurl), but the knurling isn't so aggressive it would mess me up on high rep work.

Was considering a Texas power bar, but then my secondary would also have to be a strong (more expensive) bar. Otherwise I could get a Rogue and cheapo Cap OB-86b. As a side note, the Cap OB-86PBSZ looks nice, but has a relatively low yield strength of 110k.

Could be easily solved by getting a $500 bar I suppose. Lol.
    For reference, working weights are several sets of 5 in the low 300s on squats and 400s on deads. My knees are finally feeling healthy again, so I'm hoping for those numbers to increase to 4/500 in the foreseeable future.

12. Xkn

Xkn Well-Known Member

Just stumbled across this: https://www.againfaster.com/en/shop/products/again-faster-team-barbell-black/
    Looks like the rogue bar, but stronger, and cheaper! Hard to find reviews on it, but I may try it out. There are some reviews on the silver version (I'd get the black for additional grip/squatting). Sounds like it would be a pretty good all around bar, and then maybe I could get a Texas Power Bar later for heavy squats and heavy single deads. Decisions decisions.