1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

B's Journey

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Brian Golden, May 22, 2008.

1. Brian Golden

Brian Golden Well-Known Member

Day 11 (June 12, 2008) - Moderately Busy Day, No Time for Workout

Sleep: 5:00 am - 9:15 am
    Weight: 176 (stress and diet induced, water weight)

9:15 am - Supp & M1
    1200mg Fish Oil Concentration Softgel (Naturemade - Costco), 1000mg Flax Seed Oil Softgel (Naturemade - Costco), 1 Mega Men's (GNC), 50mg Proanthocyanidin (Grape Seed Extract - GNC)

1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 4 granola bars (Nature Valley)

11:00 am - S1
    2x large cup of diet coke and half a plate of fries (which is only 1 million calories :lol: )

1:05 pm - M2
    2 slices double-fiber organic bread with cold cuts

1:40 pm - S2
    Tried a sports drink called XS power nutrition. It tasted pretty good, I was mildly surprised. I do not traditionally buy sports drink (minus gatorade, propel, or whey protein powder). Was sugar free, tasted pretty good. Of course, I did not work out at this time so I have no idea if it would of improved a workout. :D I also love anything flavored with oranges, which makes me pretty biased.

5:15 pm - S3
    One whole kiwi

8:00 pm - M3
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 1 medium banana, 1-1.25 servings of triscuits

Workout 9:20 pm - 10:00 pm
    3 minute jog at 5.5 mph

Supersets:
    1a: DB Chest Press (55x2lbs x 8) + (50x2lbs x 8) + (45x2lbs x8)
    I was really weak today, I am not getting enough sleep though so. . .
    1b: Band Rows (120lbs x 10) x 3
    This was solid.

2a: Assisted Pullups (13 assist x 10) x 3
    It was a hell of a lot easier to do these pullups, in time...
    2b: Band Shoulders (90lbs x 10 ) x 3
    I love doing this exercise. Was solid.

3a: DB Curls (25lbs x 10) x 3
    Was a little hard to finish, I did the last set fairly fast and ended slow.
    3b: Sitting Tricep Extensions (Machine) (45lbs x 10) x 3
    Improved. I am noticing improvements in the appearance of my arms constantly. Seems my triceps are getting stronger than my biceps. . .?

10:20 pm - PWO Shake/Meal
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 2-2.5 servings of triscuits (was hungry)

Between these times one sugar free fruit bar.

11:20 pm - M4
    1 chicken breast with a new spice mix I got (was so delicious...also contains salt...lol...), 12 oz V8, 2 granola bars (nature valley)

12:00 am - M5
    1 sugar free fruit bar

I had a several large red teas, tons of water at various points.

I am going to sleep in tomorrow (the luxury of no friday classes).

#21 Brian Golden, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. Brian Golden

Day 12 (June 13, 2008) - Moderately Busy Day

Sleep: 2:00 am - 11:40 am
    Weight: 172 (back to equilibrium, I think a little too fast of a weight decrease)

11:40 am - Supp
    1200mg Fish Oil Concentration Softgel (Naturemade - Costco)
    1000mg Flax Seed Oil Softgel (Naturemade - Costco)
    50mg Proanthocyanidin (Grape Seed Extract - GNC)
    1 Nutrilite Package of Vitamins (testing this out; one looked like fish oil, another like green tea, the other like a B-complex, and I can only assume the other was a multivitamin)

I will find out about the proper name and vitamins within the above supplement sample.

11:45 am - M1
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 2 granola bars, 12-16 oz of Blueberry/Pomegranate Juice

2:10 pm - M2
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 1/2 container of Blueberries, 1 Nutrilite Tropical Food Bar (testing out), 1 venti passion fruit hot tea (I will not utter the name of corporation I made this purchase)

6:00 pm - S1
    1 kiwi

6:30 pm - M3
    1 spiced chicken breast, 12 oz V8, 2 granola bars (nature valley)

7:45 pm - S2
    2oz of Blueberry/Pomegranate Juice

8:20 pm - 9:00 pm - Workout
    3 minute jog

1a: DB Squats (50x2 lb x 10) x1 + (55x2 lb x 10) x2
    1b: RDLs (20x2 lb x10) + (25x2 lb x 10) x2

I busted my ass at this point and went low with the weight thereafter.

2a: DB Stepups (30x2 lb x10) x3 I did the last set fast halfway, then slow.
    2b: Forward DB Lunges (20x2 lb x10) x2 (the gym was about to close so I left early)

Finished the third set at home, which also kicked my ass. I am only doing them to 60 seconds for now though I could do it longer.

3a: Wall-Sitting (60s x 3)
    3b: Planks (60s x 3)

9:20 pm - Supp

9:20 pm - PWO Meal
    2 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 2 granola bars

10:40 pm - M4
    6 oz albacore tuna, 12oz V8, 2-2.5oz pretzels

1 diet soda between

1:00 am - S3
    1 trim protein snack bar (testing it out)

2:00 am - S4
    0.25 oz almonds

3:00 am - S5
    1 sugar free fruit bar

Notes:
    I thought about the post regarding supplements and the need to take it with a full meal. So it makes more sense to take the second dosage (which I will continue for the time minus the multivitamin) following my workout with my PWO meal.

I was going to take pictures today but I need to read the post on how to get a good one (my bathroom is small), and I was thinking of trying to get in Men's Health (possibly illusions of grandeur), possibly a badass magazine article with myself in it. Who knows.

I will add more later. I am trying to not have to remember everything in my head. I am also going to try to not give big name labels. . .I may go back in my posts and make corrections.

I need to get more carbs and cook some brown rice in advance. I am lacking time to cook anything that takes more than 10 minutes.

The tropical fruit bar (which was completely organic) tasted excellent. I was honestly shocked at how good it tasted since I am used to most bars tasting like garbage (another reason I prefer whole food). I will add a few more comments later tonight.

I also want to start working out early to increase my efficiency, which also means going to bed earlier. By early next week I should be able to get my ass out of bed and into this habit.

#22 Brian Golden, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  3. Brian Golden

Day 13 (June 14, 2008) - Moderately Busy Day

Sleep: 4:45 am - 1:00 pm
    Weight: 171 (I guess I need to be eating more)

11:40 am - Supp
    1 SN Vitamin Pack

1:25 pm - M1
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 1 cup of oatmeal nuked in water with cinnamon added after cooking, 1 medium/large banana

4:00 pm - M2
    1 medium/large banana, 6 oz albacore tuna in water drained 3x, 12oz v8, 4 granola bars

Between these times one light beer that was given to me. I was not going to be rude and refuse it. :8

(between 6:30 pm - 6:50 pm) - 7:51 pm - Workout
    Before I say anything, I just want to say this workout was the shit. I did not follow it 100% as some of the machines were in use when I returned, but I just worked in something else (change in workouts => more process => this is better than just following it). All weights were increased minus the db curls, which basically stayed the same.

1a: DB Chest Press
    (40lbsx2) x 10 + (45lbsx2) x 10x2
    1b: Band Rows (Cable Cross, I did the first high up, second parallel to the ground, third 45 degree angle)
    10x10 + 12x10x2

This was in order, here is when it got wacky, I ended up writing everything down in response.

2a: Assisted Pullups 13x10x2 + 12x2
    2b: Band Shoulders 10x10x2 + 11x10

3a: DB Curls
    (25lbsx2) x 10x3
    3b: Tricep Extensions (Machine)
    (40lbsx2)x10 + (40lbsx2)x4 & (30lbsx2)x6 + (30lbsx2)x10

The order is not all that important though I ended up having a relatively easy finish with the tricep extensions, the db curls kicked my ass, but in a good way.

8:15 pm - PWO Supp

8:15 pm - PWO Shake/Meal
    PWO Shake/Meal (since I am losing weight too fast, 1tbsp of gatorade is fine by me)
    2 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 1 tbsp of gatorade, 2 granola bars

9:15 pm - M3
    1 spiced chicken breast, enough broccoli to fill the strainer (steamed), 2-3 oz of spaghetti (no more cheap spaghetti), 1 tsp of olive oil for the spaghetti

11:45 pm - M4
    1 cup Fat-Free Cottage Cheese and 1 oz of natural almonds

had two more fruit bars

2:30 am - S1
    0.25 oz almonds

Notes: I was concerned with how fast my metabolism can become when I eat very clean that I would end up losing weight too fast. My concerns would appear to have been correct. I also notice some muscular/bone slight pains in my legs, which was also a concern which was why I have been avoiding lower body. I am not overly concerned, merely aware that I should be careful.

I am going to recalculate my BMR, H-B, and other factors. I am going to probably just multiply my number by the largest multiplier with the H-B and watch my weight loss throughout the next week for a more steady, healthy pace.

All things constant, I will be getting my first real blood test when I go back home at the end of the summer so that should also establish a baseline for my health beyond cholesterol checks from donating blood.

I am going to change my routine and begin training with one of the sports clubs/teams at my school. This may or may not affect my future posts or the details thereof.

#23 Brian Golden, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  4. Brian Golden

In Response to Fast Weight-Loss

An evaluation is in order.

My BMR is 1876.96, I will round up so it is 1877.

From: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
    My total burn is: 3237.825, so 3238.

I estimate I am at 18% body fat, and I want to lose 0.5 lbs per week. So I basically need to be consuming 3000 calories a day.

:confused: Need to find how to eat cheaper. . .

5. Brian Golden

Today Came Out To the Following Via Fitday

Total: 2779
    Fat: 59 531 20%
    Sat: 10 86 3%
    Poly: 8 70 3%
    Mono: 17 154 6%
    Note: The unaccounted fats are poly and mono, so this means I am only taking in 3% of my total fat as saturated fat. :tucool:
    Carbs: 328 1150 43%
    Fiber: 40 0 0%
    Protein: 231 923 34%
    Alcohol: 12 81 3%

So really chances are I am fine, I should be losing 0.75 lbs per week according to this guideline. So I guess I am not that off. I will add more later.

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't know if you're looking for suggestions or not, so just ignore me if it was just a random statement to yourself.

Usually it takes a little longer to eat cheaper. Anything that comes in a prepared form (especially anything that's portioned out into a single serving) will be more expensive than something that you have to prepare and portion yourself. You could try making your own granola type or protein bars. You can find recipes if you do an advanced search for "protein" in the recipes forum. Phillydude contributed some really good posts on eating on a budget as well, but I'm not sure where they are.

Try using meat that you cook yourself instead of deli meats. Where I shop, deli meat is typically $5-10/pound, but if you don't mind poaching a few chicken breasts and keeping them in the freezer, it's only $3/pound. You might want to add beans as a main part of your meal more often as well. And eat eggs or egg whites more often.

I know that jerky is convenient because you can keep it in your desk, but if you have a cooler, you could bring chicken breast with you. I quite often eat mine cold with diced sweet potatoes and broccoli. For $1, it works out to about 3 oz of chicken breast, with 120 calories, 24 g protein. Maybe your jerky sale was just as good.

The biggest expense is eating out at fast food places or at restaurants, because on top of the ingredient costs, you're paying for someone else's labor, building overheads, plus advertising costs, transportation, etc.

Cutting back on your supplements might be the easiest way to cut costs. I always skip my multivitamins if I've had particularly nutritious meals that day; I only take omega-3 if I haven't eaten fish that day, and only chew calcium supplements if I haven't had my milk equivalents.

Overall, though, your program looks really good. I wouldn't worry about changing too many things. :tu:

7. Brian Golden

I may come off a little passionate, but I am very open to advice. Time is something of an issue.

I find it is getting more hard to cook brown rice for example. But I also cook it a certain way, typically I will use 1/3 cup of long rice, 1 tsp of olive oil (to prevent caking on the bottom), and a cup of water.

Needless to say, the product is fluffy rice. I am cooking double portions currently, perhaps I could go to triple portions.

Cold chicken does not sound very appealing. . .I will look into those granola bar receipes though I will tell you I also got the granola bars on sale. :D

8. Brian Golden

Day 14 (June 15, 2008) - Father's Day/ Evaluation of Progress and New Goals

Sleep: 4:00 am - 1:35 pm
    Weight: 171.5

1:45 pm - Supp
    1 SN Vitamin Pack

1:50 pm - M1
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 1 cup of oatmeal nuked in water with cinnamon added after cooking, 1 medium/large banana

5:10 pm - M2
    2 slices double-fiber organic bread, 4 oz cajun turkey, 1 whole mango, 12-16 oz V8

6:15 pm - S1
    1 Beck's Dark

8:20 pm - M3
    1 spiced chicken breast, 3 cups of broccoli (I estimate), 2 granola bars

had a diet soda between

11:30 pm - M4
    1 oz almonds, 1 cup of fat-free cottage cheese, 1 diet soda, 2 venti assorted tea flavors/types

2:30 am - M5
    1/2 container of jerky, one handful of sunflower seeds

Notes: The mangos were on sale, I have never had one. Them shits are delicious. :P

I am taking today off, I will be watching the USA advance to the World Cup. Doing homework and many other things. I am probably going to scrape my current workout (which is amazing) and start training with one of my College's sports clubs.

#28 Brian Golden, Jun 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  9. Brian Golden

Do I Need A Multivitamin/Supplements

The following is from fitday the other day ago:

The % RDAs at the end is all we care about. Obviously some of them are misleading (need much more than 100% of vitamin C)

I was as accurate as possible putting in information that was given to me, I am aware many companies don't put such information as potassium or other vitamins/minerals in their product labels to save space/money/time.

First thing I see, which I was already aware is the sodium is WAY too high. The real potassium is probably higher than 4671, and I do believe that you can OD on potassium though I have not read anything about it is forever.

I should try to get more zinc also.

So, maybe the multivitamin is not a bad idea for the moment though I could always pick 1-2 more smart food choices and probably no longer put money into the multivitamin.

10. Brian Golden

Special Note: I have been a member of this forum on-and-off for three years or so. I love how this forum gives people instant access to a lot of information. I would love to give more than $25.00 but I am a starving college student. :lol: You know how it is.

I am also biting the bullet so to speak with pictures.

Day 15 (June 16, 2008) - Moderately Busy Day

Before Pictures (Side and Front):

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sleep: N/A
    Weight: N/A

5:00 am - Supp
    1 SN Vitamin Pack

6:20 am - M1

10:30 am - M2
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 4 granola bars

2:00 pm - 4:00 pm : NAP

4:15 pm - M3
    1 spiced chicken breast, 8-12 oz V8, 2 granola bars, 1 mango

7:15 pm - M4
    6 oz albacore tuna (packed in water, drained 3x), 8-12 oz V8, 2 granola bars

10:15 pm - M5
    1/2 container of jerky and 1 oz almonds

1:00 am - S1
    1 sugar-free fruit bar

Notes: Ran out of V8, need to eat what is left of the granola bars, and then pick a better alternative.

#30 Brian Golden, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  11. Brian Golden

Day 16 (June 17, 2008) - Mad Busy Day

I am focusing on diet for the moment. I am going to try to make it out to group training starting Friday.

Sleep: 3:00 am - 7:10 am
    Weight: 170

7:15 am - Supp
    1 SN Vitamin Pack

7:15 am - M1

11:40 am - M2
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 1 medium banana, 2 granola bars

4:05 pm - M3
    1 footlong oven-roasted chicken sub on parm oreg bread, lettuce, banana/jalapenos, pepper/oregano, light oil/vinegar= delicious

8:35 pm - M4
    0.5 package of jerky and 1 oz almonds

Notes: Regardless of my stomach, I am noticing more definition in my forearms, triceps, biceps, et cetera.

#31 Brian Golden, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  12. Brian Golden

Day 17 (June 18, 2008) - A Very Important Day

I am focusing on diet for the moment. I am going to try to make it out to group training starting Friday.

Sleep: 1:00 am - 8:50 am
    Weight: 169.5

8:50 am - Supp
    1 SN Vitamin Pack

8:50 am - M1
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 4 granola bars (I am getting rid of them)

12:00 pm - M2
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 0.5 container of blueberries

3:00 pm - M3
    2-4 oz Blueberry/Pomp Juice

5:00-6:00 pm - M4
    platter food (probably 600-800 calories)

9:30 pm - M5
    #1 at Chick-Fil-A, diet soda

#32 Brian Golden, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  13. Brian Golden

Day 19 (June 20, 2008) - A Day of Planning

Sleep: 10:00 pm - 7:20 am :D
    Weight: 170

Notes:

I am thinking about moving to a private journal.

Working out is going slightly on the way-side as I am currently in transition with the academic and extracurricular activities I am working on.

Eating
    7:30 am - M1
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 4 granola bars (I am getting rid of them)

1:15 pm - M2
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 2 granola bars

4:30 pm - M3
    6 oz albacore tuna, 2 granola bars, 2 kiwis

7:45 pm - M4
    1 Spiced Chicken Breast, 1 oz almonds, did not have time to steam vegetables

11:05 pm - M5
    half container of jerky (24g protein) and 1.5 handfuls of sunflower seeds, 2 diet sodas

2:00 am - S1
    0.125 oz almonds

#33 Brian Golden, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  14. Brian Golden

Day 20 (June 21, 2008) - A Day of Planning

Sleep: 2:00 am - 10:50 am
    Weight: 168.5

Notes:

None yet

Eating
    10:55 am - M1
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean) + 2 regular-sized strawberry/banana smoothies (11:30 am)

2:30 pm - M2
    1/2 container of jerky, 1 oz almonds

5:00 pm - 5:45 pm Workout (Fasted Cardio)
    3 minutes on treadmill, 10 minutes on stationary bike, 25 minutes on espresso bike, ab work

7:00 pm - PWO Shake/Meal

9:00 pm - M3
    seared tuna, cucumber salad, soy sauce/wasasbi/ginger

11:45 pm - M4
    0.5 oz almonds, 1 beck's dark

#34 Brian Golden, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  15. Brian Golden

Day 21 (June 22, 2008)

Sleep: 1:30 am - 9:45 am
    Weight: 169

Notes:

None yet

Eating
    10:55 am - M1
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 1 cup of oatmeal nuked in water with cinnamon added afterwards

1:45 pm - M2
    half container of jerky, 1 medium banana, 6 triscuits

3:45 pm - S1
    16oz LS-V8, 3 sample Trim advantage bars

5:15 pm - S2 & Supp
    16oz LS-V8, 1 medium banana, 1 pre-workout bar energy bar
    3 thermoburst

6:50 pm - 7:20 pm : Interval Workout

2 minute jog @ 2% incline, 19.5 minutes of 9.0mph-30s/4.0mph-30s/6.0mph-30s @ 2% incline; repeat, 2.5 minute walk

7:40 pm - PWO Shake/Meal

8:35 pm - M4
    3 slices of three-seed whole-wheat bread, 1 spiced chicken breast, broccoli

12:30 am - M5
    1 cup of cottage cheese, 0.75 oz almonds

2:30 am - Bed

#35 Brian Golden, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  16. Brian Golden

Day 22 (June 23, 2008)

Sleep: 2:30 am - 8:45 am
    Weight: 169

Notes:

None yet

Eating
    8:50 am - S1
    2 granola bars

11:10 am - M1
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 1 cup of oatmeal nuked in water with cinnamon added afterwards

2:00 pm - M2
    half container of jerky, 1 medium banana, 2 granola bars

4:30 pm - M3
    half container of jerky, 15 triscuits (2.5 servings)

6:00 pm - S2
    1 energy bar

1 hour nap

8:40 pm - 9:20 pm : Cardio + Abs
    30 minute interval bike, 10 minute random jog/walk on treadmill (6.0 mph @ 2% & 3.5 mph @ 6%)

Crunches with machine (70-80 lbs x 35) x 3
    Side Bends with DB (30 lbs x 15) x 2 + (35 lbs x 15) x 1
    Obliques with machine (40 lbs x 15) x 3

9:45 pm - PWO Shake/Meal
    1.5 scoops whey protein (Cytosport - Cocoa Bean), 1/3 cup of brown rice

10:45 pm - M4
    1 spiced chicken breast, 1/3 cup of brown rice, broccoli

#36 Brian Golden, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  17. Brian Golden

Day 23 (June 24, 2008)

Sleep: 2:30 am - 8:45 am
    Weight: 169.5

Notes:

It was a friend's birthday that night so I did not work out and I ate carbs before bed obviously looking at my last meal and snack so to speak.

Eating
    8:50 am - M1

12:00 pm - M2
    6 oz albacore tuna, 1 cup of oatmeal nuked in water with cinnamon added afterwards

3:10 pm - M3

4:40 pm - S1
    1 Sports Drink (28g sugar), and 1 larabar (has sugar from dates and is completely unprocessed)

6:30 pm - S2
    1 medium banana, 12 triscuits

9:30 pm - M4
    0.75 vodka rustica, water

11:30 pm - S3
    1 beck's dark

#37 Brian Golden, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  18. Brian Golden

Day 24 (June 25, 2008)

Sleep: 1:30 am - 8:45 am
    Weight: 171.5 (water weight)

Notes:

Unfortunately I only had time to get a banana before running out the door to class.

I am updating my workplan to the next phase while continuing to explore to explore working out with a club. I am beginning to think cycling would be a more realistic choice, as well as, a good match for myself as I prefer biking to running (do not really want joint issues when I am older).

I am also upgrading my beer, shall be going from Beck's Dark to either Boston Lager or Boston Lager Summer Edition. :madpimp:

Eating
    8:50 am - S1
    1 medium banana

12:30 pm - M1
    1 spiced chicken breast, 1 oz of vodka rustica (leftover from the last night), 2 small slices of three-grain organic bread, 8 oz low-sodium V-8

3:45 pm - M2
    6 oz albacore tuna packed in water (drained three times), 1 larabar, 8oz low-sodium V-8

6:30 pm - S1
    2 slices three-grain bread

7:00 pm - 9:30 pm - NAP

10:30 pm - M3
    Salmon Burger and 1 oz almonds

2:20 am - S2
    0.5 oz honey-roasted peanuts

#38 Brian Golden, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  19. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sorry, I'm confused. I thought you were going to drop the granola bars. But instead you've added in Larabars, vodka, and beer? :eek: :confused:

20. Brian Golden

I do not have time to make granola bars at the moment.

The larabars are unprocessed, the one I literally just finished eating is made up of two ingredients (Cashews and Dates).

The vodka was used to cook the rustica, it was also someone's birthday.

I had debated getting grilled chicken, but decided I was not going to pay the price of over $10 to simply get a grilled chicken with a glaze.

The beer was also for the person's birthday. I will be posting an updated picture in the next few days.