1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Jaw - need advice on diet

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by matt of kent, Feb 27, 2012.

1. matt of kent

matt of kent Active Member

Hi, my jaw was broken in two places a week ago resulting in me getting my mouth wired shut for the next 8 weeks. So now i can only drink through a straw, so im effectively on a liquid diet for the time being...

Has anyone had experience being on a liquid diet? is there tips or advice you guys could give me? at the moment ive been taking 2-3 protein shakes a day, yougurts, blended vegatables & soups. My calorie intake must be only round 1,000 - 1,500 a day ( i need 2,500 to maintain) its useful as im looking to cut for summer now anyway but i dont want to be loosing any muscle if i can help it... also any particular workout plan i should be on?

cheers

2. Jackw72

Jackw72 Active Member

I would think you could blend almost anything to the point where you could swallow it in regards to meat and most other foods.

I would try and take it a lot more or you will start losing muscle if you are 1000 cals below maintenance! Adding things like oats, ice cream, honey, peanut butter to your shakes.

This time with your mouth shut could be an awesome time to experiment with your shakes!

Workout wise I don't see why anything would change, if you aren't taking in many calories though I wouldn't push so hard.

:tucool:

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

You might want to consider a fiber supplement, and something like Greens+, or experiment with adding greens to your shakes.

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I had a broken jaw playing football in my senior year of high school. My opinion is do not train until you have the clearance from your physician. Certain movements are going to stress your neck and jaw, especially exercises that are explosive, deadlifts, and where you are going to be breathing heavily like high rep leg presses. I would allow the jaw to heal properly to avoid any delay in the fusing process, or re-fracture. Good luck.

5. matt of kent

matt of kent Active Member

thx for the tips,

no worries im not gnna go mental in the gym, i can only breathe to 1/3 of my lung capacity as it is, gnna lower the reps from 12-6 to 8-6 and skip the deadlifts/squats for now and any other exercise that could be problematic for my jaw