1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing Sexy Back

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by MadeInNY, Sep 7, 2008.

1. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

Today I embark on a journey to reclaim my old body. I was slim, trim and firm. I was energetic, vivacious and unstoppable.

I am no longer willing to be out of shape and miss out on all of the fun with my little rascal. He deserves to have someone who can keep up with him and set healthy examples for him. So, I am engaging in war.

It's me against the - FAT!

2. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

Day 1

Hour spinning class - 1 hour
    Biceps - 3 x 15 @ 10 lbs
    Kickbacks - 3 x 15 @ 10lbs

I'm stinky, smelly and love it.

3. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

I love the title. :tu:

4. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

LOL...thanks!

5. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Do you have a diet plan yet?

Also pictures now to track progress?

Workout Schedule?

We will get you running circles around your little man!:tu:

6. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

I have pics from yesterday. I didn't take any today, but will try to take them daily, if possible.

My diet plans is:

meal 1 - 4 egg whites, 1/2 oatmeal with splenda or stevia
    meal 2 - 4 oz of chicken breast or turkey
    meal 3 - 4 egg whites, large salad or repeat meal 2
    snack - 2 scoops of whey? (Not sure if I'm ready for this step yet)
    meal 4 - 4 oz of chicken breast of other lean meat
    snack - right before bed 1/2 of low fat cottage cheese with sprinkle of cinnamon and stevia

workout plan:

Monday - Lower Body
    Leg Curls
    Power Squats
    Standing Leg Curls
    Lying Leg Curls
    1 hour spinning

Tuesday - Upper Body
    Machine Bench Press
    Dumbell Flyes
    Dips
    Triceps pushdown with rope
    Front dumbbell raises
    Ab Crunch Machine (2 x 25)
    Oblique Crunches - 50

Wednesday - Lower Body

Thursday - Upper Body
    Bent Over Barbell Rows
    Lat Pulldows
    Hyperextensions
    Machine Preacher Curls
    Ab Crunch Machine (2 x 25)
    Oblique Crunches 50

Thursday - Shoulders
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3-5 set 10-15 reps
    Military Press: 3-5 set 10-15 reps
    Reverse Flyes: 3-5 set 10-15 reps

Friday - legs
    Squats - 5 sets
    Hack Squat - 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Leg Press - 4 sets 12-15 reps
    Walking Lunge - 12 – 15 Reps per leg
    Leg Extension - 3 sets 15-20 reps
    Seated Calf Raise 8 – 10 Reps per leg

I welcome advice.

Thank you!

7. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Cool deal so you have a plan and you are ready. Do you have any questions you have wondered about?>

www.fitday.com is really cool to track foods you eat with calories, protein, carbs, fats...and much more. So you dont have to add them up every time. You can add a custom food and store it so you can just click and boom it calculates. (I love it)

I try to stay away from protein shakes as much as I can, but I use them daily. Nitrean from Atlarge nutrition seems to work well with me. Easy to mix and taste pretty good.

Also if you haven't checked out my journal I take pictures the 1st and 15th of every month to track progress along with weight everyday now.

Just some ideas.... :tu:

8. kevin_in_ga

kevin_in_ga Active Member

Monthly pics are probably best - long enough gap to see any differences, but frequent enough to correct any issues if they arise.

9. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

Ca$on, I need to give you a big ole cyber HUG!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. It means so much.

I have had an account at fitday for some time, but now I'm going to use it.

I do have one question (only one for now :lol: )

Do you recommend that I get supplements, other than whey, or anything like that?

I am not a huge fan of protein drinks either, but if there's something I need to help my reach my goal, then I'm all in.

#9 MadeInNY, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  10. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

ok. That sounds good and even manageable.

11. kevin_in_ga

kevin_in_ga Active Member

If you're going to do this right, try to make sure that the pics are taken in the same lighting, as this cam make a huge difference. Same body pose as well - one from the front, perhaps turned to one side slightly to allow for shadowing, and one from the side. No flashes used either - they tend to wash out most of the detail that emerges as you are losing weight (like abs, for example).

12. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I always found taking weekly or bimonthly tape measurements a useful way of tracking fat loss too;)

13. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

Oh yes. I intend to do that. I got discouraged my last attempt because the scale was going up, but later learned that I was gaining muscle and losing fat.

ETA:
    Monday - legs

Leg Curls - 30 x 15 (5 sets)
    Angled Leg Press - 100 x 10, 100 x 10, 110 x 10
    Hip Abductor - 85 x 20 (5 sets)
    Hip Abductor 85 x 20 (5 sets)
    Seated Leg Press - 50 x 15, 90 x 15, 110 x 15
    Horizontal Calves - 130 x 10, 130 x 10, 130 x 10
    Glute Machine - 10 x 15, 10 x 15, 10 x 15

NOTE: I did better on the hip abductors and glutes on Monday, than the following Thursday (9/11). I should have pushed harder.

#13 MadeInNY, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  14. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

Just thought of something that I've been meaning to ask about, cadence. What is this?

15. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

It all depends since everyone is different.

Below in my signature is what I use on a daily basis and I just added Fish oil again from atlarge.

Nitrean is a decent protien shake that is worth a try. I like the straberry one, you can make it taste like a smoothie.

My protien I use in the morning because I do not like to eat early and I can chug it down with a small snack. I will also drink one at around 3pm on non workout days with a source of carbs. Workout days I try to drink one during workout or right after.

16. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Think of it like this.....

If I have a 3/3 cadence then it would take me 3 seconds down and 3 seconds up for each repitition. It tells you how fast or slow to do your rep.

17. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

That's what I figured. Ok. I'm on the right path, because I know form is everything.

Also, I just ordered 4 tubs of Nitrean!! :claphigh:
    I almost missed the same (hope I like it)

18. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

4??? Holy cow! lol :p

19. ZxViCkYxZ

ZxViCkYxZ Active Member

Nitrean is awesome! I'm on my very first tub of chocolate and it's not too sweet, but satisfies my occasional chocolate cravings.

Four tubs?! Good lord, you're really stocking up, huh?

Great to see that you started a journal! I will be checking on it frequently ;).

Diet looks pretty solid. So do your workouts. However, do you think you can fit some more cardio in there? I would recommend at least 3 days a week. Maybe you can throw it in on Thursdays after your shoulder workouts and a day where you have off from lifting. I can see a lot of progress ahead if you stay diligent with your fitness and diet plans. Don't be afraid to lift a little heavy. I see a lot of women at the gym using these little weights and doing like 20 reps at a time, but if you don't lift heavy, you won't see any muscle growth. Don't worry about looking bulky because I've been lifting heavy for a while now and I definitely look stronger, firmer, and a lot leaner than before :D.

Also, be sure to do cardio after your lifting. When the body needs energy, it will always turns to the glycogen stored from your carbs first, then it moves on to fats. Lifting is anaerobic (of course there are exceptions if you lift with enough intensity you can get your heart rate up), so it draws energy from your carb stores first. Since cardio is mainly a fat-burning tool, it should be done after you lift, after your glycogen is depleted from your carb stores. Then, your body will only have fat stores left to work with. It's a more effective way of working out because you have a lot of energy to do your lifts, with enough juice left over to do cardio. :tu:

Bring that sexy back! :lol:

20. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

1. I'm glad to know that Nitrean tastes good, because I was trying to imagine how was going to keep it down otherwise LOL. I bought 4 tubs, because I figured it would take me through my first 16 weeks of my workouts.

2. I am SO glad you mentioned doing cardio after lifting. I did just that this morning. I plan on taking a spinning class 4 times a week. Initially, I wanted to go slowly, with the cardio because of my bad knees, but I think I can handle the spinning, otherwise I'll swim.

3. I hear ya on bumping up the weight - I'm going to the gym now to finish up my legs, so I'll be sure to put the pounds on :tucool:

Thanks for the info and I'll be checking out your journal too (and taking notes).