1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Breathing Question For Strongman Lifts....

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by HevyMetal, Dec 10, 2011.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

When you do an exercise like a Deadlift the advice is:-

First "block" and then hold your breath as you pullup.....breathe at end of lift.

But.....let's say you are doing one of those walking lifts similar to where you pick up a heavy weight (like a round stone, for example's sake) and walk a distance with it hugged in front of you or you are walking with a heavy object overhead for a distance.

It is impossible to hold the breath for that long to retain the "blocking" effect and without this there is a lessening of strength.

What's the recommended method?

2. HevyMetal

Allow me to re-phrase the question:-

When you guys lift a real heavy "odd" object and carry it for quite a distance....do you just breathe normally?....or do you take small tiny breaths?

Do you still try to keep the core"blocked" at all?

Or do you not concern yourself about it at all?

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't participate in strongman, but I would take regular breaths without raising the diaphragm, keeping the "core" blocked and spine stabilized.

4. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

This is pretty much what I do when I am doing farmer's walks with dumbbells. I'll also note that I try to stay as upright as possible with my neck packed in order to add to spinal stability.

5. MT77

MT77 Active Member

I don't really think much about breath with heavy farmers, usually it's a sprint. I did a Conan's Wheel event a couple years ago. That one was tough. You had to hold the end of a pole zercher style, and walk with it around a pivot, in a 30' diameter circle. The weight was approx 450lbs. From the instant I picked it up, the pressure on my chest made my blood pressure rise to the point that my ears were ringing. The weight also made breathing difficult. All I could do was take shallow breaths and try to keep my head up.

6. HevyMetal

:eek:

7. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Events were just posted for the 2012 Motor City's Strongest Man contest. Two events pertain to this topic:

Farmers hold, 275lbs per hand, for time. Breathing correctly and staying calm will be crucial here.

Sandbag carry for distance, 200lb sandbag, 60 second time limit. The rules don't allow you to shoulder it, so it will be held out in front husefeld style. I'm sure the pressure will restrict breathing but I'll need to be jogging with this weight to get a respectable distance. Should be fun to train this one.

8. daciz2

daciz2 Well-Known Member

those strongman comps. are pretty intense lookin. be sure to tell us how you do.