1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking the Mold of Mediocrity

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Cube Dweller, Jan 7, 2013.

1. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Do you have a long term plan or goal? I ask because 12 weeks is a long program to stay on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

2. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Active Member

No. My only real goal right now is to get single digit bodyfat by Memorial Day. I might end up with a long term goal to get up to a lean 170 in the next year or so... we'll see :)

3. Cube Dweller

Day 85

meal 1: eggs, banana
    meal 2: beef, pasta
    meal 3: turkey, rice
    meal 4: protein bar
    meal 5: chicken, bread, spinach, squash

totals

2258 cals

fat 61g 24%
    carb 189g 33%
    prot 247g 43%

:bb:

squat
    dumbbell incline press
    leg extensions
    lateral raise

Dragging a bit on my Monday morning workout. I had to leave a couple exercises out because I was running out of time before work. Other than that, I still feel on the path of increase.

4. Cube Dweller

Day 86

meal 2: whey, oats
    meal 3: beef, pasta
    meal 4: turkey, rice
    meal 5: bread
    meal 6: chicken, rice, spinach, squash

totals

2257 cals

fat 56g 22%
    carb 208g 36%
    prot 238g 42%

deadlift
    pullups
    bent over row
    leg curls
    curls

I felt strong and focused in my morning workout. I went to bed feeling hungry. Nothing can stop me now. I'm going to be shredded :D

5. Cube Dweller

Day 87

meal 5: chicken, rice, spinach, squash
    meal 6: bread, peanut butter

totals

2357 cals

fat 64g 24%
    carb 211g 35%
    prot 241g 41%

I'm going to try and catch up on my updates now.. :rolleyes:

6. Cube Dweller

Day 88

meal 5: chicken, rice, spinach, squash
    meal 6: peanut butter

totals

2321 cals

fat 69g 27%
    carb 202g 35%
    prot 229g 39%

I missed my scheduled workout Thursday :doh:

7. Cube Dweller

Day 89

meal 1: McDonalds
    meal 3: chicken, squash, spinach
    meal 4: pizza

totals

3061 cals

fat 128g 37%
    carb 313g 41%
    prot 171g 22%

I missed Friday's workout too!! Not keeping it together good end of last week :nono:

8. Cube Dweller

Day 90, 91

I'm not going to track my food over the weekend. It wasn't the best, but I really didn't go crazy and eat a bunch of junk. I have had more life-altering experiences in the last month than I typically have in a year. I will leave the details out for now, but it has certainly distracted from my focus on my fitness goals.

Saturday, I played a round of disc golf in the morning and lifted in the afternoon.

squat
    seated dumbbell overhead press
    leg extension
    dumbbell incline fly
    calf raise
    front dumbbell raise

Sunday, I played 2 rounds of disc golf.

Week 13 Recap

Sunday morning measurements:

weight 154 (-0 from last week, -10 total)
    waist 30.5 (-.5 from last week, -2.5 total)

I thought it was a bit strange to have a dramatic drop in waist but not scale weight. I may have been holding water or something, so I may start paying attention to my weight daily. My waist measurement is more important to me, and I'm very happy about getting this down to 30" or less eventually. I have no reason to deviate from my 2300 cals a day at this time.

The last 3 or 4 weeks, as well as the upcoming 2 or 3 weeks, could be described as a time where most people could justifiably put their health endeavors on hold. I will have to fight very hard to keep on top of things for the upcoming month. Time to dig deep! Sometimes, if I don't feel motivated, I will watch some YouTube videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFI9XeghHJs&feature=endscreen

I noticed on a lot of these videos, there are clips from a movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" with Will Smith. Friday night, I decided to rent and watch it. I thought it was very inspirational, especially being based on a true story. The hardships that Smith's character overcame and the performance level that he maintained in his work are beyond me. Every time I think I can't hang with the tough times, I will remember this and tell myself to "harden the fuck up!!". Most of us are capable of being much more awesome than we are today, and we can make a decision to become who we want to be if we want to bad enough.

9. Cube Dweller

Day 92

meal 1: eggs
    meal 3: beef, pasta, peanut butter
    meal 4: chicken, bread, cheese
    meal 5: whey, bread, peanut butter

totals

2274 cals

fat 70g 28%
    carb 176g 31%
    prot 228g 41%

I missed another workout yesterday :o

10. Cube Dweller

Day 93

meal 3: beef, rice
    meal 4: whey, oats
    meal 5: bread, peanut butter

totals

2250 cals

fat 63g 25%
    carb 201g 36%
    prot 217g 39%

deadlift
    pullups
    db row
    leg curls
    curls
    ab wheel

11. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

I've noticed you eat a lot of eggs. How do you usually cook them? (or are you a drink-the-yolks-Rocky-style kind of guy?)

12. Cube Dweller

Haha. No, I just scramble them. At this point I can easily cook them while still half-asleep in the morning. Lately, I have been eating 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites and add a small amount of salt and pepper. Eggs are so naturally delicious, I never get sick of eating them every morning. :eat:

13. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

Hell yeah eggs! My favorite non splurge kind of food. Some say they can bring your testosterone up if you eat a bunch, but I think it's probably placebo.

14. Cube Dweller

Day 98

Week 14 Recap

weight 154 (-0 from last week, -10 total)
    waist 30.5 (-0 from last week, -2.5 total)

Unfortunately, my fitness journey will have to be bumped down on the priority list for awhile longer. I have to move out of my apartment next week, and today I will be packing up my workout equipment. I am going to pack the kitchen last, but I still won't be able to prepare all of my own meals for awhile. I have been very mindful of what I eat and not gone off the deep end by any means.

Luckily, I haven't lost any ground with my progress. I only lifted weights 2 times this past week, but my eating has been decent. I am feeling pretty good about the way I look, but I am still not where I want to be. I may not write in my journal much in the next couple of weeks, but I promise that I'm not giving up on this endeavor!

15. Cube Dweller

Week 15 recap

Weight: 152 (-2 from last week, -12 total)
    Waist: 30.5 (-0 from last week, -2.5 total)

Well, I ate a bunch of crap all week. I have no idea what my calories were, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were a bit low. I wish I did a better job of getting extra protein in. Hopefully, my 2lbs is just being "dry" this morning and not a loss in muscle mass.

Moving was definitely a workout. I did 95% of it without help, including the half-ton of iron in my home gym. It was the most I've ever moved on my own. For the first time ever, I don't have a sore back from moving! The only SLIGHT soreness I feel is in little stabilizing muscles around my wrists and ankles. Feels good to be strong!!

Today, I will make a grocery store run and get back on track. There is still a lot of unpacking to do, but I intend to get under the iron at least a couple of times this week...

16. Cube Dweller

2 Years later update...

Well, I have completely neglected this journal. I still read John's blog regularly (I have for over a decade now). Last month, this particular blog entry spoke to me:

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/2015/01/29/your-questions-answered-why-dont-you-do-online-coaching/

Just to be clear, I have NOT neglected my training these last 2 years. I wanted to come back and share a bit of something that wouldn't be a "well, time to try again" type of journal. My initial transformation of "Breaking the Mold of Mediocrity" truly did break the mold I was stuck in, and it is STILL BROKEN!

A bit of data from my workout journal:

Attached Files:

17. Cube Dweller

what happened

In April I moved to start a new cube dwelling job. It was the worse job I ever took, and I realized it very soon on. I was in a bad financial situation, so I had to stick it out for a full year. I decided to dirty bulk and lift a lot from about June till the end of the year and got up to about 183 pounds...

I started cutting in the beginning of 2014 and got down to 160 lbs around the beginning of summer. I maintained through the summer and started bulking again in the Fall. I got up to about 175 this winter, and currently cutting again. I'm currently around 168 with almost a 33" waist. I really thought I would have gained a lot more muscle in 2 years, but there were a lot of setbacks. I'm not discouraged by that because my momentum just keeps gaining and gaining.

Current training:

I'm doing the Wendler 5/3/1 program, and I just finished the 2nd cycle of it (8 weeks in right now). My strength is actually higher than it has ever been right now:

The end of my 2013 5x5 program:
    squat: 245x5
    bench: 200x5
    OHP: 135x4
    deadlift: 315x4

Current maxes:
    squat: 315x1
    bench: 245x2
    OHP: 155x2
    deadlift: 365x3

I know they are not all 1RM, but you can get the idea for significant strength increases.

Current diet:

2500 cals a day
    -------------
    215 protein
    300 carb
    50 fat

I do meal prep every Sunday and have most of my food ready to go for the week.

Personal info:

In addition to breaking my mold of mediocrity in regard to fitness, I have also started working in a machine shop (no longer a cube dweller). I don't make as much money, but have been very happy with my lifestyle right now. I cut metal all day at work, then go lift iron in the gym.

My plan is to stay on this grind relentlessly, and my 2015 goals are focused mostly on strength, while maintaining control of my diet and weight. I am planning to enter a powerlifitng competition in June, and my goal is to break a 1,000 lb total.

I wanted to write this update more for John and anyone else who may have ready my journal back in 2013. I've had a lot of setbacks, but I never gave up. I'm not satisfied with my progress although I am stronger (and look better) now than I've ever been in my life. I hope this may inspire and encourage someone else.

cheers :)

18. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Great job sticking with it.

155 on OHP is pretty damn impressive. That's one exercises that always makes you feel like a beast; there's just something about triumphantly lifting a heavy weight over your head that makes you feel powerful.

19. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Cant remember any of the details, but I remember you being here back then.