1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking the Mold of Mediocrity

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Cube Dweller, Jan 7, 2013.

1. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

4x20 on the legs is nice volume.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

2. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

It sucks that you had to sell your boat. I understand how frustrating it can be to have your hand forced for financial reasons.

One fact you can take comfort in is that, despite stumbles on your eating, you're still keeping up some intense workouts. That will go a long way towards lessening the negative effects of poor food choices now and then. It's when you stumble in both regards that you really have to worry!

3. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Active Member

Day 69, 70

Saturday was a total flop. I kept it clean as possible, but was on a mission to work on some cars. The whole weekend was really a mission to getting my vehicle situation straightened out. There is still a little work to do, but the good news is most of it is finished. I now have reliable (and gas efficient) car to commute to work :D

:bb: (Sunday)

push press
    weighted pullups
    weighted dips
    db curls
    shrugs
    ab wheel

Week 10 Recap

Sunday morning measurements:

weight 156 (-1 from last week, -8 total)
    waist 31.25 (-.25 from last week, -1.75 total)

Another crappity week. I'm not completely out of the woods yet, but things should start settling down enough for me to put more focus on my fitness goals starting this week. I'm going to continue to "freestyle" in the gym a few times this week, but hope to be on a structured program next week. My first step is to lock down my diet. After the last couple of months, I think that a planned diet would be the easiest way for me to keep up with the chore of cooking.

Heck yes :) My legs aren't used to it either. I still have DOMS on the 3rd day after that workout.

Thanks! I think you were right. I pretty much maintained from last week. I think a lot of it was stress and the fact that I did a lot of physical labor on Saturday too. I will try not to stumble in both regards for sure.

4. Cube Dweller

Day 71

meal 1: eggs, red potatoes
    meal 2: whey, oats, banana
    meal 3: turkey, pasta
    meal 4: beef, rice
    meal 5: chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli
    meal 6: protein bar

totals

2767 cals

fat 65g 21%
    carb 298g 43%
    prot 252g 36%

I woke up at 5am to cook most of the meals I will need for the next 3 days. I sure do feel a lot more confident with a dozen tupperware containers in the fridge with whole meals in them. 5 is going to be my normal wake up time, with the current job schedule. My plan is to work out at 8 every morning and be at work before 11. Really, just Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday morning. Wednesday morning I will cook my meals for the rest of the week. At least that's the tentative plan I'm working towards right now. That switches me from weight training 3 days a week to 4 days a week.

5. Cube Dweller

Day 72

meal 5: chicken, sweet potatoes, brocoli
    meal 6: protein bar

totals

2567 cals

fat 49g 17%
    carb 292g 45%
    prot 245 38%

:bb:

squat
    incline bench
    db pullovers
    db clean and press
    db cross hammer curls

Today, I will run out of all those tasty healthy meals I have in tupperware in my fridge. I have a phone interview that popped up this morning, last second. I was supposed to cook food for the rest of the week this morning... :blank:

Ok, so if I slip up again this week, I have at least learned one thing. This Sunday, when I cook again, I am cooking enough food to get me THROUGH FRIDAY!!!!

:nod:

6. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member

amazing progress/transformation in two months, I am inspired. I've noticed that one gets the lean-look if they push the weight harder, diet supports trainer, cardio improves heart/lung. It is all centered around weight training to improve health and body overall.

#126 autumngirl, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. Cube Dweller

Day 73

meal 6: pizza

totals

3117 cals

fat 76g 22%
    carb 362g 46%
    prot 255g 32%

Diet is falling apart again towards the end of the week. Today and tomorrow are not looking very promising to obey hard rule #1. I'm going to try and at least keep track and make my macros work out. Some heavy dead lifts this morning should put those late night carbs to use!

Thank you! I couldn't agree more about the weight training. With weight loss, we get too focused on the [calories consumed]-[calories spent] formula, but it is more complex than that. Every time you push the weight harder than you have before, it reprograms your body to use all those calories completely different than it did before.

8. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

This is a great quote to remember if you are like me and like to eat lots :D

9. Cube Dweller

Day 74

meal 1: eggs, oats
    meal 3: pizza, salad
    meal 4: salmon, squash, spinach
    meal 5: whey, bread, peanut butter

totals

2762 cals

fat 95g 30%
    carb 252g 36%
    prot 241g 34%

squat
    lateral raises
    deadlift
    leg extensions
    shrugs

For sure! That's exactly why I was thinking of it :)

I really should have indulged on a lot more meat today after those squats and deadlifts

10. Cube Dweller

Day 75

meal 1: McDonalds :o
    meal 2: protein bar
    meal 3: tuna sandwich, chips
    meal 4: whey, oats, banana
    meal 5: salmon, squash, spinach
    meal 6: whey

totals

2757 cals

fat 91g 30%
    carb 240g 35%
    prot 248g 36%

dumbbell overhead press
    pullups
    dips
    rear lateral raise
    concentration curls

These high volume workouts are killing me. I feel like I'm going to puke half the time. I think I get a good cardio workout too like this. I'm interested to see the results of all the high rep sets and additional upper body exercises. I will still work in heavy squats and deadlifts, of course. Simply because I can't imagine life without them. :dreamy:

11. Cube Dweller

Day 76, 77

Not too much to report over the weekend. I played disc golf on Saturday. My eating was terrible. I feel terrible. I guess the stress of the last couple weeks is wearing off a bit, and my energy levels have been really low. Seems like life just keeps throwing things at me.

Week 11 Recap

weight 156 (-0 from last week, -8 total)
    waist 31.25 (-0 from last week, -1.75 total)

No progress... again. For 3 weeks now, I have been doing a terrible job of working towards my goal. A month ago, I looked leaner than I do now. I MUST turn this around. I know I have had a ridiculous amount of stuff to deal with lately, but I'm very disappointed in myself for not keeping on top of my eating and training better than I have.

Well, I have 2 months left to get shredded. I may keep my calories high again for one more week and try to really step up the intensity of my workouts. Depending on progress, I will start ramping my calories down. I figure I will get more aggressive about fat-loss the closer I get towards Memorial Day.

12. Cube Dweller

Day 78

meal 1: eggs, potatoes, peanut butter
    meal 4: protein bar
    meal 5: chicken, sweet potatoes, brocoli
    meal 6: salmon, spinach, squash
    meal 7: beef, rice

totals

2865 cals

fat 80g 25%
    carb 256g 36%
    prot 286g 40%

squat
    dumbbell incline press
    leg extension
    pullovers
    dips
    lateral raise

It was a good day. I'm still feeling nausea when I push myself really hard on my workouts in the morning. Today, I'm going to have meal 1 eggs only and maybe a banana right before my workout. Also, going to start taking vitamins after my workout and not before.

I'm pretty sure I'm not doing pullovers correctly. I feel like I'm recruiting mostly lats and rear delts. I'll probably just leave those out for now. I've decided to try a push/pull split, working out 4x a week. This way, everything will get worked twice a week. I just don't think that the typical once a week for each body part type of workout is going to work for me as good. I want to squat at least twice a week.

Lastly, I have re-agravated my shoulder injury yesterday. Hopefully, I can get it under control without needing to miss any workouts. I have been completely slacking on my stretching and foam rolling. Every time I slack on this, I end up being in some sort of pain... Must. Not. Forget. This!

13. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I have never really had great success with early morning workouts...
    When I have to do it, I drink a protein shake on the way to the gym...seems to "stabilize" my blood sugar a bit...

14. Cube Dweller

Day 79

meal 1: eggs
    meal 6: peanut butter

totals

2298 cals

fat 64g 25%
    carb 211g 37%
    prot 224g 39%

deadlift
    pullups
    bent over row
    leg curls
    curls

After doing a small bit of research and a large amount of soul-searching, I have decided to drop my daily calorie intake by 500. I have been roughly aiming at 2800 for the last few weeks and a bit discouraged on not losing ANY fat during that time. I am going to eat somewhere around 2300 cals a day now. I will hold at that level at least until April 14th before I evaluate and decide to change it.

Thanks. I might try to swap meals 1 (eggs) and 2 (protein shake) and see if it improves my workouts. I'm just hesitant to wake up my neighbors running the blender at 6am

I have never had great success with early morning workouts either, but I thought I might pull it off this time, since I don't start my shift at work till 11am. However, I'm finding that I just can't summon the same level of ferocity that I can in the afternoon. This morning I failed to pull my heaviest set on deadlift, which means I have lost strength or just poor workout performance.

I'm going to make it work for now, while I'm cutting, because this is just the schedule I have worked out for myself. The good, is that I haven't missed any workouts. It seems much less likely for me to miss a workout due to a bad day or something.

15. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

Me too man. Maybe if I had an hour of coffee and stretching before hand... Smelling salts for every lift :lol:

16. Cube Dweller

Day 80

meal 1: eggs, banana
    meal 2: whey, oats
    meal 4: chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli
    meal 5: beef, rice
    meal 6: peanut butter

totals

2298 cals

fat 64g 25%
    carb 211g 37%
    prot 224g 39%

Second day of eating 500 less calories. I feel slightly more hungry, but barely noticeable. Mostly, it just seems like less work LOL

I actually get up 3 hours before my workout and drink coffee. I will try the smelling salts next week :D

17. Cube Dweller

Day 81

meal 4: chicken, sweet potatoes, brocoli
    meal 5: beef, rice
    meal 6: whey, peanut butter

totals

2378 cals

fat 63g 24%
    carb 214g 36%
    prot 243g 41%

squat
    lateral raises
    calf raises
    dumbbell incline press
    leg extensions
    push press

Thursday was a good day...

18. Cube Dweller

Day 82

meal 3: Scholtsky's Sandwich and chips
    meal 4: protein bar, banana
    meal 5: turkey, pasta
    meal 6: beef, rice

totals

3030 cals

fat 91g 27%
    carb 304g 40%
    prot 255g 34%

weighted pullups
    power clean
    dumbbell row
    hammer curls
    leg curls
    ab wheel

Oooops!! I got a schlotskys sandwich because I was on the road a lot today. I had no clue it was going to be 1000 calories, and I didn't add up the calories until the end of the day.

19. Cube Dweller

Day 83

meal 2: whey, oats, peanut butter, banana
    meal 3: In & Out Burger w/ fries
    meal 4: tilapia, rice

totals

2258 cals

fat 88g 35%
    carb 198g 35%
    prot 176g 31%

Saturday wasn't the best day, but could have been worse...

20. Cube Dweller

Day 84

meal 2: chicken, bread, carrots
    meal 3: Easter dinner at mom's

totals

3000-ish calories?

Week 12 Recap

weight 154 (-2 from last week, -10 total)
    waist 31.0 (-.25 from last week, -2.0 total)

This wasn't a perfect week, but I am now on the path of increase once again. My workouts have been great, along with a few days of reduced calories, that has helped me start making some fat loss progress. This week, I will continue to aim for 2300 cals and continue the same push/pull split (with minor adjustments) for my workouts.