1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Boyfriend's getting into the action

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Trinity, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I just wanted to share something sort of neat. After a few weeks of following the John Stone Plan, my boyfriend on his own suddenly decided that he wanted to do it too. Yesterday he saw my Excel sheet with the meal plans and jokingly said I was neurotic. Well, that night he decide he wanted to lose some weight and started asking ME how he should do it. Today, he woke up and went running for almost an hour, lifted weights, purged his kitchen of all abominable foods, went to the grocery store with a list I had previously created full of healthy foods, and set up his own Excel spreadsheet. He's also resolved to wake up 5 minutes earlier to make himself breakfast, and to eat Subway for lunch instead of the fried food they serve at his office's cafeteria. I'm so proud of him!

I think it can be difficult sometimes when one partner in a relationship decides to live more healthfully, but the other one doesn't. There is sure to be resentment if one pushes the other to get fit. I have even heard of scenarios where one spouse becomes jealous when the other gets in shape. I feel lucky that my boyfriend and I share priorities now.

Have any of you had boyfriends/husbands make healthy improvements because of the example you've set?

2. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Good Job Trinity, doesnt it feel good to help/inspire someone to commit to changing themsleves for the better. :tu:

Most of my friends and family still think I'm nuts at this point but I think its just a matter of time before they start seeing my results and begin to change their minds.

Marcus :tucool:

3. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Hey Trinity,

That is awesome about your boyfriend. It is so much more motivating when your doing this with someone else!
    I wish I could inspire my husband to do the same one day :whistle:

Good Luck,
    Mandi :D

4. Lisa Stone

Lisa Stone Senior Member
    Platinum Member

That's great news! Yay for your boyfriend! Now you two can work out and meal plan together!

Hahaaa, sort of the other way around for me ;)

5. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

Good job Trinity!
    I too have a boyfriend working out with me. As a matter of fact he is a member of this website, so if you cruise the website and see the name Zan, that is him. We both love this website and find it to be a wonderful motivator! :tu:
    We both have the type of personalities in which we decide to do something and about a week into it, quit! By both committing to a new lifestyle we have kept ourselves motivated and it is wonderful to see the changes in both of our bodies. Plus, I just plain feel better!
    Try getting your boyfriend involved in the website too!

5'7

6. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

I wish my boyfriend would.

He says he'll work out with me but he never does. He's one of those people who has to work out with friends or he won't go to the gym. That's so great you and your b/f are beginning a healthy lifestyle together...*I'm so jealous*

7. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

So my boyfriend is on his fourth day of his "transformation" and his mood seems to have brightened quite a bit. He has always been a happy person, but I think he has extra pep in his step now ;)

The chocolate whey I ordered with him on www.allthewhey.com arrived yesterday and he says he loves it. What a relief! I told him that I liked it a lot, but I wasn't sure how he would like the taste.

I'm also glad this hasn't been such a hard transition for him. I guess he just made up his mind to change, and now he's following through. He's started playing tennis with a friend now after work, and is using the weights that he already owned. The extra time spent cooking apparently hasn't been that hard either. He used to say that he doesn't have ANY time, but now I think he realizes it's worthwhile to make time to do these things.

If there are any women who have men in their lives who could use some encouragement, I would let them catch you visiting John's site. I'll bet a lot of guys can relate to the "before" pictures, and get interested when they see the after pictures.

8. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Yep, I definitely know how that goes. My husband and I have both done that several times. And if one person gives up, it's only a matter of time before the other one does. In this case I was the one that found John's site and that very day made the change. For some reason this time it stuck for me. My husband isn't as rabid about it as me, but he's still doing a lot better than he was before. He's a little more apt than me to pass on a workout or to have a cheat meal, and he doesn't keep track of his intakes- perhaps he's expecting me to throw in the towel any moment!! :D

But I've been at this now for 6 weeks, and I have no intention of quitting anytime soon! With any luck we'll both benefit from my determination! ;)

9. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

Bah

My girlfriend was eating Haagendazs Coffee icecream infront of me while I had tuna out of the can. I think she hates me some days :mad:

It's all good though, she's hot and knows she doesn't have to worry :tu:

10. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

11. honu*girl

honu*girl Well-Known Member

Well, we both motivate each other. He got me started on in August last year by ordering a infomercial diet - I wanted to lose too but didn't think we needed to spend the money. It worked for us - and it got us jumpstarted on a whole new way of life. I couldn't have done it without his support. If I had to do it alone, I wouldn't. It's hard enough because I'm still mostly fat loss, and he has changed his diet around to add things I still don't eat. That and I lose so much slower than him (I've lost 45, he's lost 60) But just knowing we are heading toward the same goal really helps out.

He found this site a while back - and started doing the food tracking etc. I thought he was a little neurotic too! But I finally came over here yesterday and thought I'd pop my head in too! (He's LiveWire)

It definitely helps to have someone with a similar goal to cheer you on. :claplow: