1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Boxers. Any problem wearing them when working out?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Paradigm, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm Well-Known Member

Recently I've been hearing things about how you should give your support to your genitals otherwise during certain excercises, you could put strain and something inside your body can fall which is why some people strap belts around their chest when they work out.

Anybody educated in this? Please explain. Thx.

2. unlevel

unlevel Well-Known Member

3. djerickd

djerickd Well-Known Member

The other guys at the gym don't like it when I wear my boxers to workout, oh well they will get over it! :p

4. darkeblue

darkeblue Well-Known Member

wearing boxers in a Gym is kind of disrespectful. think about it, when someone is waiting to use the same pullup machine you are on, and next thing you know, your "balls" are hanging out engulfing the seat....imagine squats! no one wants a peep show.

there is reason why everyone wears swetpants, long shorts and/or biker shorts. keep the general in its house.

5. nc

nc Senior Member

I'm not very self conscious about my body but I always wear briefs or boxer briefs out of respect for others in the gym :)

6. --D--

--D-- Well-Known Member

LOL. How many guys work out in hot pants here?

7. brownguy

brownguy Well-Known Member

I've don't think something inside your body could "fall out", although I suppose one could get a hernia from lifting improperly or straining too much. That being said, I've never heard of anyone getting a hernia from lifting weights.

If you work out at home you can wear your boxers without worrying about your boys making an unexpected public appearance. :o Otherwise I agree with the rest of the guys.

8. d8ed

d8ed Well-Known Member

say whaaaaaaaaaaat? wait are we talking about wearing boxers ONLY while working out or wearing boxers under shorts? who the heck works out in boxers alone...?? that IS wrong..

personally i wear these tight Dri-Fit Nike shorts under my other shorts and they keep everything in check and their fabric wicks moisture away from the body and keeps it all nice and dry :)

sweats are nasty since they hold all the moisture in and people who wear them leave trails everywhere.. and i get tired of doing the "hey man do you mind wiping that down?" when they're walking away from soaking equipment.. yeck

9. d8ed

d8ed Well-Known Member

speaking of hot pants.. there's this old guy at my gym that wears this triathlon tube top thing with these slighly bigger than speedo shorts and goes around doing cardio for hours.. and he keeps moving so i never know where he's at so i can make sure not to look there.. :eek:

10. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I have been free balling it since I was in the Army. You gotta figure that underwear has only been around a couple hundred years at most.

Let the boys breath!

11. Jimichanga

Jimichanga Well-Known Member

I wear boxers when I lift, but I also lift at home. I have never really thought about the boxers vs briefs thing while at the gym, and if I go I will be sure and not wear boxers for everyone else's sake!

12. Duckman

Duckman Well-Known Member

Either tight Bjørn Borg boxers or nothing :whistle:

13. J-Man

J-Man Well-Known Member

I dont understand! Are you guys talking about wearing boxers only and no shorts overtop them? WIth long shorts overtop I dont see how a peep show could happen? Maybe im wrong?!

14. Duckman

Duckman Well-Known Member

lol...no, underneath...not even I would dream about running around with nothing on in the gym :p

Thing is *things* could slip out if you wear shorts in the gym, and to prevent this, ppl do not use boxers.

Actually, there was a case in Norway a year ago or so where a girl accused her teacher for flashing himself while benching cause his "gear" fell out....wouldn't want that to happen, eh?

15. J-Man

J-Man Well-Known Member

oh ok i see

16. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I am starting to think that there is an demographic running on this thread:

Euro style shorts maybe shorter than American style

Think of Euro vs American swimsuits....one word....SPEEDOs

American shorts generally go to the knees or an inch or 2 above. You got problems if your "things" can fall out of those shorts.

17. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

How about the old wrinkly guy in the locker room who must be buck naked before he can drink his water? I mean seriously now. Why would you need to be buck naked, sitting on the bench, DRINKING WATER.

:spaz:

(We need a -shiver- smilie)

18. Mahdimael

Mahdimael Well-Known Member

To be fair, when I'm 70, I'm not going to give a damn about it either

:D

19. Paradigm

Paradigm Well-Known Member

Man. It sickens me when I see old men changing naked in the change room. Getting even the quickest glance at old you-know-what is frightening. It's like seeing into your future.

20. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If you wear shorts that are at your knees or slightly above them, you should be fine with boxers. I do a couple inverted exercises and haven't even had problems with the leggings falling and exposing anything. If you wear shorts that are higher or are ultra-paranoid then wear boxer-briefs or just briefs - no big deal.

One could always politely ask the other: "Would you be ever so kind as to step twice in the backward direction? The type of under-garment which I am currently wearing does not offer the support that oft-deemed 'superior' under-garments maintain, and, consequently, at any moment my personal baggage may decide to expose itself. I thank you most profusely."

:whistle:

#20 chicanerous, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2004