1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Bouncer/doorman-specific training

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Biggoggs, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Biggoggs

Biggoggs Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted on the JSF boards, I had university exams, and decided if I couldn't afford to eat enough to bulk, I won't waste my time until I could.

Now, exams out of the way, at a party last night (go the 'roos!) I was talking about finding a job, a bunch of guys recommend security, being a doorman or bouncer at a local club, and almost guaranteed employment (stupidly under-staffed).

The more I think about it, the more appealing it sounds. However, my biggest concern is physical size/combat training. I used to play rugby, and did Aikido until the start of this year for about 1.5-2yrs (no rank), but I'm ~70kg (154lbs), `average' strength, and don't exactly fight often. I guess I'd generally be dealing with drunks, but I would feel bad having a security job but having ability on-par with some Average Joe, or someone behind the bar.

I'm still looking into the time & costs of it, but the two-month course ($600!?!?) starts in about a month. What sort of training should I do, and what time//results can I expect? I'm on semester break for the next three weeks, but after that it's back to uni.

Thanks guys

2. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'd suggest gaining some weight. 154lb bouncer isnt very big considering its almost gauranteed that youre going to have to man handle guys 2x your size.

3. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Gain 100 lbs. Well...at least 50.

:eek:

4. Biggoggs

My thoughts exactly. However, I've seen a red-headed lanky guy working at that same club that must weigh less than me, a bogan-looking middle-age guy in a pub (I saw two guys tumble out of a pub, thought it was a fight, but one of them was a bouncer :)), and a guy I talked to weighed about 75kg (165lbs) but was intimidating, tattood, somewhat buff, experienced, and bouncing on extacy...

50lbs... that's 22kg. If I work out 3/4 times a week, how much mass can I expect to put on per week?
    Assuming 1kg/week, after 12 weeks I'd theoretically be at least the `minimum'.

I am going to become a bouncer, or at least obtain a physique appropriate for one. I don't care if I have to do something unrelated for a year simply to pay all the above off.

5. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

it is definitely possible to gain the required physique over an extended period of time, but i wouldnt expect any drastic changes in a 2 month period.

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    You don't have to be big to be a bouncer. It helps a great deal in that your size takes care of a lot of problems before they start but honestly when drunk people and sober people scuffle, my money's on the sober guy 99% of the time. Plus you'll have backup.

You're mainly going to be there to protect the property and the property owner's liability. You'll spend more time stacking chairs than fighting.

Still, very good reason to bulk. :nod:

7. Biggoggs

How drastic? Ten, even five kilograms is going to be drastic for me :)

Yea from what I've read and who I've talked to, it seems more about diplomacy and breaking fights between drunks who want to kill each other. Still, I want to be prepared for a worse-case scenario- it's not like I'd be able to drive home afterwards and scratch it off as a `bad day at the office'.

Absolutely. I've got the genetics, the time, [most?] of the equipment, the motivation (or is that a `requirement'), not a great deal of money though- but I see no reason why I can't put on mass.
    I'm planning (as of tomorrow) to begin Judo. I've done Aikido for 1.5--2yrs at the Uni (stopped end of '05, ungraded), but the nearest `practical' BJJ or Muay Thai gyms are far away, so I decided to attend the sport-oriented Uni Judo club. I figure sport is good for training, as long as I'm conscious of the gaps. The plan is Mon/Wed- Judo, Tues/Thurs/Sat- weights.

8. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

Watch the movie "Road House".

That is all the training you will ever need.

9. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Well-Known Member

Every now and then....you find something on the internet that has 'solid gold' status.............this link officially has reached that status with me hehehe.........man....how do people find this stuff!! hehe....seriously...i might watch that a few times before i step out on a friday night.....just in case!! :-) :D :eek:

10. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Train heavy and hard with major compounds exercises and eat everything you can for the next twelve weeks if you want to get bigger.

I believe doordude42 used to be or still is a bouncer -- you might PM him (though he's been absent for a while).

11. Biggoggs

tekmoney: Yea I've seen that, it's hillarious. The actual principles are pretty easy to `get the gist of'.

Yea that's what I'm thinking. Looking over John Stone's schedule and foodlogs, he ate about 2800-3200 calories a day and trained three days a week + abs, what I've read states a min. of 4000/day, yet he gained 5kg in four weeks. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll PM doordude42 and pick his brain.

btw, I had my first Judo class tonight, I think it should well and truly cover cardio/endurance/grip strength(!).

12. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

IMO, you are too small to do the job. 154 lbs isn't very intimidating.
    There's a reason I dont play in a women's golf league.

Sorry to destroy your dreams. :(

13. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Learn to give real good knuggies and you should do fine!

Good luck with your training endevours and best wishes for BIG gains!

14. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

Is it because the women's badminton league occupies all of your time?

This is officially, the Greatest Thread Ever!

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I was a bouncer once in Clarksdale, Mississippi. Nothing happened except this one guy parked his scoot right up front. He asked nicely if he could park it there, and I said sure, because that was OK for motorcycle parking. Then he asked me about my cool "Style" hat. It was a STIHL hat my wife got for free when she bought her chainsaw. I told him it was a "Stihl" hat and that they made chainsaws. He said "we don't have much use for chainsaws around here." I said, "well it's my wife's chainsaw."

16. TylerGred

TylerGred Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Hughes_(fighter)

Matt Hughes is only 170 lbs (77 kg) and 5-10''.

Sometimes the smaller guys are crazier as they have to prove they can fight.

I've seen guys 5'5 manhandle 6'4 guys...

Also as someone already stated most of the time you'll be fighting drunks...

And I agree.... watch Road House....

17. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

regardless, a 154lb guy with (as he put it) "average strength" with no fighting experience is absolutely no match for a 300lb 6'4" guy--drunk or not.

then again, maybe where you are planning on bouncing these sort of issues just dont exist? if not, keep at it with the martial arts and train your ass off. if you cant beat them in size/strength, beat them with their own energy.

18. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

Maybe he's planning on bouncing at the roller rink you and your buddies hang out in?

19. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

:lol: Watch Roadhouse :lol:

You guys crack me up.

I have to go do my Billy Banks Bootcamp video again. Im in training for the UFC.

Wax on...wax off.