1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bodyweight Routines

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Naytch, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

I was just curious to see if anyone had a good Bodyweight or Plyometrics routine? I don't have access to a gym and cannot afford to buy too much equipment so I am attempting to adapt to my surroundings. Reading through some other pages, I have seen a few articles on Plyos but have only come up with a few exercises. Any suggestions?

2. moeamaya

moeamaya Well-Known Member

I had sort of the same problem as you do. During the winter and summer vacations, I didnt have access to the University Weight Room anymore so I had to develop my own home workout. I browsed the internet and found a few helpful sites....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm
    some of these moves are definitely advanced, but i like the Hindu Squat.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy26.htm
    these are the basic exercised you could do

Also, I knew I would need some weight so i purchased 45,35,25
    And I found a cheap bench at a thrift store.

Basically i had a three day split:
    Monday- legs: hindu squat, SL DL, lunge, calf raised

Wednesday- chest/shoulder: DB flat bench(push-ups), overhead presses, Dips, close-grip DB bench

Friday- Back/Biceps: DB Deadlifts, bent over rows, curls, crunches, leg lifts

on off days I do 15min of HIIT cardio

3. NotUniqueEnough

NotUniqueEnough Well-Known Member

if you can afford $100, you should be able to get 300 lbs of olympic weights and a bar. I would highly recommend deadlifts and pull ups (if you have someplace you can do that). Heavy deadlifting will give your whole body a workout, even your abs and biceps.

Then you can gradually save your way up to a powercage or squat rack and bench and you pretty much have a whole gym.

btw, be careful with plyometrics... you really need to be in pretty good shape first. If you have access to usenet, read over misc.fitness.weights and see what they say.

4. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

I recently bought some plates to tide me over until I can get some more. Also, I have a pullup bar and a Total Gym although the total gym doesn't provide much resistance.

5. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have a Total Gym or Total Trainer? If so, do you find it useful?

6. CuttinKing2183

CuttinKing2183 Well-Known Member

I had a Total Gym...it was OK...I mean, I felt a good burn from the preacher curls but it just wasn't good enough....lower body workout was pathetic...

7. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

Same here. It seemed like a good buy at the time and my girlfriend promised me she would use it. We all know how that story goes. A few months later it is used as a coat hanger. For now, I'm going to use it as an adjustable bench for exercises like bench press and as a slant board for situps. Not exactly what it was made for but it will do. As for the 300 lb. weight sets, we live in a small apartment that doesn't really have the room to use a 7 ft. bar. I think I have solved part of that problem though. I went to home depot and bought a 5ft. lentgh of 2"steel piping and some hose clamps. So for $13, I fixed part of that problem. I'm buying extra plates as I need them.