1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

BodyCraft Xpress pro - cables rubbing my triceps

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Wherebob, May 24, 2007.

1. Wherebob

Wherebob Active Member

Anyone else own the BobyCraft Xpress pro home gym? I just got mine setup last weekend and have used it 3 times so far.

[​IMG]

When using the functional cable arms as a bench press the cables rub on my forearms and triceps with each rep. Not a big deal with small weights but I use 150lbs X 10 for 4 sets. Thats a lot of pressure on the cable as the cable drag across arms and my arms are getting raw spots and a bruse in the same spot on each arm. I was hoping to replace my bench and free weights for the bench press but this can't go on much longer.
    Anyone with experience using this system know how I can eliminate this rubbing and still target the same muscle group? I have tried different positions and angles but this changes the target muscle.

Thanks

2. Wherebob

Wherebob Active Member

Anyone?

3. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

I had this problem with cabled movements myself, though not with the same machine. My upper arms were getting torn up by the cables rubbing against them. Where your cable positioning is variable, I'd suggest setting the arms on the machine wide and pressing in an inward movement so that your your hands end up spaced about 4"-6" apart right in front of your chest. Will you target your pecs differently than you would if you were using a barbell or dumbbells? Yes you will. It's not possible to target the pecs using a barbell or dumbbellls the way you can with the cables.
    Don't look at different as being less than something else. Different is different...that's all. In the end, you'll see development that wouldn't have been possible if you restricted your training to barbell presses and the like.

Enjoy the new equipment...that's what you bought it for. :tu:

Walt

4. jesse1

jesse1 Well-Known Member

If possible, try positioning cables on the inside of your arms instead of the outside. In order to do this you would grip the handles and have the cables under and inside your arms as opposed to the normal over the arm. Another way would be to have the cable arms at a high level with the cables outside or a low level with the cables inside. If all else fails, use the press arms for the chest presses.

5. Dbass

Dbass Active Member

I have the same machine (minus the leg station). I've found that experimenting with body position relative to the cable arms the best thing to explore. For instance, for doing curls with it, rather than do them seated, I stand adjacent to one side of the machine with the cable arm down. I focus more on what muscle I'm trying to hit and what feedback I'm getting.

I do one arm rows with the cables by facing back of unit standing next to seat. Place your inside leg/bent knee in the seat with inside hand braced against the vertical frame. Reaching down with outside hand, cable arm pointing down, you should be in perfect position.

I also do tricep work standing. I use the overhead and just stand up facing back of unit, close handgrip on the bar and press down. As well, stand adjacent to one of the pulley arms, slightly out from it, facing away from it . Lift your arm over your head. Adjust your standing position until you get just clear of the cable. Now do your tricep work. You just have to feel for it, and adjust your standing position relative to the arm, etc.

I recommend just moving around and experimenting a little. For curls, I also like to use the front cable/row station standing slightly away from the unit That seems to put a good pull on your entire midsection. Remember as well, you can use different attachments on those cables.....for instance...I take both grips off the cable arms and snap them on to the front/row or top/high pulleys. Lots of variables here. My apt/room is small, and I already have an elliptical in it...so I could not get the leg station which IMHO is badly needed with the unit to round it out. I do squats using the front/row, a short chain and handgrips. It seems to feel about right. I also do calfraises there.

The cable arms are very useful for a machine like this for getting some variety, but you do have to experiment with it..as it does have it's limits. Remember, you've got a mid pulley too (for abs). Sit in the chair, lock down the front and hook your feet under it (like you are going to do leg lifts). Now, pull foward holding the harness. If I felt this machine had any weaknesses (for me) it was that I'm just entirely used to doing bench press work lieing down. It doesn't feel the same to me sitting up. Again, just something I had to adjust to..position wise.

Anyway...good health!

6. Wherebob

Wherebob Active Member

Thanks for the reply Dbass and I have experimented a lot with positions. If I position myself so the cables don't rub I find I am working my shoulders more than my pecs. I this case that just won't do as I was hoping to replace my bench press with the cable press.
    I have since gone back to using the bench and barbells for this lift.

7. Dbass

Dbass Active Member

Good on ya mate!

I probably don't have as much problem with cable rubbing on me..as me muscles are simply not big enough to get in the way :)

I mostly do this, and my elliptical, for general health. But, I have always done bench press from lieing, or incline/decline, etc., and trying to replicate that from a sitting position has also been a little strange for me. It "does" feel like it's hitting the right the muscles and I'm trying to get used to it but it is a little strange.