1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bodybuilding contest...cutting or bulking? (Merged Thread)

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by bfl_redhead, Nov 27, 2005.

1. bfl_redhead

bfl_redhead Well-Known Member

cutting or bulking before bodybuilding contests?

...does anyone bulk up for contests rather than cutting?

I met someone who said they always stay rather 'cut', so when it's time for a bodybuilding contest, they are bulking, rather than cutting, and find it much easier to do...

Just wondering if anyone here as any experience with that way of doing things. Starting to toy with the idea of actually competing in the next year or so...

thank so much,

t

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I'm no BB and i don't want to be one but this are my thoughts.

To bulk you have to gain muscle & FAT so its kind of counter productive if your going in front a bunch of people who are judging you on cuts, definition and mass. With your compeition being in very lowfat and carb depleted conditions.

Its also very hard to have strength gains on a calorie deflicit.

mastover could answer your question much better.

3. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

I have never met a competitive natural bodybuilder who has placed in their competition who doesn't cut for the show. They bulk off season, and cut in the weeks leading up to the show. That doesn't mean it never happens, but I've never witnessed it. It doesn't make sense ... much of the scoring depends on how lean you are. I've seen shows where people were massively muscular but lost to someone with only moderate muscle mass who achieved an ultra low body fat.

Jeremy

4. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

It depends on where you are at before the contest date. Some have already reached their desired bulk amount and just cut up until the day of the contest. Others may have realized that they need to gain size so they bulk up until 10 days before the contest and then go on an extreme cutting program to get that shredded look. It all depends on where you are several months before the contest. More often than not competitors try to get cut and clarity and they do this several days before the contest.

I'm sure more experienced people can tell you of their experiences.

5. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

One thing I can tell you is it takes more than "several days" to cut.

6. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Depends on how you define "several". Just kidding DD how's the back dude? :confused:

:D

7. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

This would be an excellent thread for mastover to pop into, for some more informed input. Though I some how think that he could probably eat an entire side of beef with gravy and all the fixins' and still never get above 4%. :lol:
    [​IMG]

#7 Kino, Nov 27, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  8. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I must be losin' my mind.:eek: I could've sworn Jeremy Likeness posted here.:confused:

Anyway, the back's good Canada. Thanx for asking.:tucool:

9. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Double post door cough knob :lol:

I certainty can have fun with your username, ahh dude:D

Doh! Nice to hear your back is good "dude" :)

#9 bradh, Nov 27, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  10. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Well since my esteemed buddy Kino called me out on this one, I guess I'll have to give my 2 sense.

By staying relatively "cut" offseason means the male competitor doesn't go 10-15 lbs. beyond his competition weight. If he reaches, for example, a bodyfat level of 10%, then he has no choice but to drop it into the 3-4% range to be competitive onstage. One in a while, a competitor will "peak" at 2 weeks out. In these rare instances, they can then increase their carb and calories somewhat leading into the show, but they still must be careful especially with water and sodium manipulation and dynamics.

Individuals who are on anabolic steroids have a completely different protocol, so any conventional tactic that is employed by the natural competitor, must be thrown out the window for them. Additionally, the judging criteria at non tested shows favors a different look. When I competed as a natural in the NPC, the larger competitor was always favored over the shredded guy.

The diet is the key. It is so important, that I usually cease all training at 8 days out from the show, and at that point on, allow the nutrition during peak week to bring the physique together. Also, the enhanced guy can get away with carbing up the final 3 days or so, whereas the natural would have to do a reverse carb load.

With all that said, I've never in my 20+ years of competing, seen anyone bulk going into a show. Intentionally going from 5% bodyfat to let's say 9% bodyfat for competitive purposes would be absolutely insane.

11. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Well, carb-loaded. But yeah. Mastover covered it well in the other thread.

12. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

I KNEW he posted here. Double post huh Canada? I didn't catch that at first.:doh:

13. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

i'm not very interested in BBers but are you saying they are carb-loaded on the stage?

14. sc7389

sc7389 Well-Known Member

It's a cross-post thread. It's here and in Weight lifting forum.

15. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

bfl_redhead, Please don't post multiple threads on the same subject ("cross-posting"). I'm merging this thread with your other thread. Thank you.

16. bfl_redhead

bfl_redhead Well-Known Member

thank you for all your input...

sorry about double posting...I didn't think the first one actually showed up, for some reason, so posted again...

obviously, I was just on the wrong thread...

thanks again...

t