1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Body fat readings & PMS

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Zilla, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I finally broke down and ordered body fat calipers. I've been resisting doing this for a few years and after spending the afternoon reviewing part of BFFM, I decided it was something that needed to be done. I should have done it long before, but I digress.

On a monthly basis, I gain roughly 5-7 pounds in water weight with PMS. Not only do I experience this water weight gain once, but I get it twice as I cycle twice. I had surgery for this about 7 years ago with the promise that if I had a period at all, it would only be once a month. 6 months post surgery I was back to double periods. The only difference being that they are not nearly a heavy as they used to be.

I've read that women shouldn't measure during their periods because of water weight gain. I wouldn't have a problem with that, except I have about a week give or take where I'm not experiencing bloat.

The obvious answer to me would be to only do body fat measurements in that week where I'm "normal" but by doing that am I'm setting myself up for a constant guessing game of whether I'm losing fat or lean mass for the other 3 weeks?

Input on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Side note: What is BFFM?
    [/offtopic]

I would guess that taking BF measurements is probably most appropriate when done less frequently(i.e. once a month), primarily due to the fact that there is really no truly accurate way to measure BF levels aside from specific autopsy methods. ;) :lol:

I think it makes more sense to take one measurement each month when you know your body is consistently in nearly the same state for each measurement. If you were to take weekly measurements, given the water weight and other hormonal fluctuations, I think the inaccuracies would likely prove to be counterproductive.

It is absolutely better to retain your confidence in your results and have less frequent measurements. A lot of people taking bodyweight measurements on a daily basis experience frustration from the scale fluctuations due to similar issues. I would imagine your situation would be similar with BF measurements.

I think it's a no brainer to measure once a month. <--- my two cents.

:D

3. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

BFFM- Burn the Fat Feed The Muscle. It's a e-book put out by Tom Venuto.

Thanks Lenny. :)