1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Body Fat Percentage - A Visual Guide

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by guava, Oct 2, 2006.

1. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't like site calculators.:nono: http://www.fittogether.net/ overestimates mine by at least 3%.

I can't verify that any of the numbers I've reported in this thread are valid body fat percentages, and in some cases, I'm not sure how they were obtained. All I know is that they were in some way measured, and that is the measurement I recorded.

Verifying ideal BF numbers
    Of the four main measures of body fat percentage (girth comparisons, skinfold measurements, electrical current via body fat scale, hydrostatic weighing) girth comparisons such as the navy calculators and fittogether are the least accurate.

I hope that nobody takes these numbers too seriously, because a person might get to 10% body fat but end up looking nothing like they imagined they would. The number itself is but one measure of aesthetics; fat distribution and muscle symmetry can play a heavy role as well.

2. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Guava - The new wording is definitely better; all the statements are true now.

Hmm...that's interesting. That site always pins me way low. Like 3-5% lower than actual. I haven't done it in a while...I'll probably do it again tomorrow morning. I like using that site to compare with past estimates, even if they're never right...

About accuracy of body fat measurements...maybe you should make some mention about the difficulty of measuring body fat percentages in the first posts.

By the way, good idea/nice job making this, I'm sure it will be helpful to people and interesting to use as a reference.

3. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think another important thing for people to remember about BF% is that even though the many methods aren't very accurate, they usually give consistent readings if you measure the same way each time.

By this I mean the absolute number may not be right but as long it is consistent, then it will still help you determine whether the weight you are losing is fat and whether the weight you are gaining is muscle. Which is really the whole point of calculating BF%. That way you can change your cutting, bulking or maintenance plan accordingly.

So there is no need to be so worried about getting an accurate reading, as I feel alot of people on the forums are.

Hey I think this thread could become the Guava method of determining BF%, just hold your picture next to all the others and see where you fall.

4. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I am not convinced that the body fat scales give an accurate trend for everyone. Mine have me at 23.4% (i think I am around 18%) down 0.6 % in 9 months of cutting when in fact I am down one dress size a few centimetres and and have added a few Ibs of musle??

5. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

:confused: to be honest, I never even use the scale because the number is always very off. but I've had very consistent results using either the caliper method or tape measure method.

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:) I predict that, given a large enough database, the Guava method will soon surpass the girth comparison method in accuracy and will begin to approach the accuracy of bioelectrical impedence, but will never quite be as accurate as caliper readings.

7. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Where are all these pictures? Is there a link that I missed?

8. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Carguy, the pics are in the first couple of posts by Guava....

It goes freom 25+ % BF (John in 2003), all the way down to 7%.. (John at the end of his 6 month first cut, I think)

9. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Thanks Foley. I saw those. I thought there might be more. I know I can look at my own pictures over time and see myself at the same weight but different %bf and it is amazing how different they look. I think body type comes into play as well since a meso with 9% bf would look a lot different that an ecto or endo at the same bf (height and weight being the same).

10. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Carguy, I was going to include your pics, but I think there was some reason I couldn't. :confused: Maybe they were all grouped together as a before/after shot or I couldn't find your height or weight or body fat percentage that went with each picture.

I'd like to build a much larger collection, but no one is volunteering.:cry: I added several pictures today, but it took me a long time to find them. If anyone has any photos to contribute, or can think of any applicable pics that contain all of the information that I've been listing, please let me know.

11. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

you can use any of my photos from SOBF, if they happen to fall into any of the other caegories. but I guess my body type is already captured. I can look up the weight and BF% for them.

One of the reasons you might be having a hard time is a lot of people don't seem to take consistent photos nor bother to track BF% over time.

12. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

gravityhomer, if you have any photos that fit into the other categories, I'd be happy to add them. It takes a lot of time for me to calculate the BMI, but I like to have it in there because it makes a big difference visually. So, if you're submitting pics, please include it.

A lot of people do not mention their height in their progress threads, so I sent some private messages today and yesterday asking for some clarification on that. Many of the threads report a body fat percentage, but they're unclear as to which photo corresponds to which (I had a little bit of trouble matching up Kilter's so that's why I have his back there instead of his front)

Thanks to those that answered my PMs. The thread is growing.:flex:

13. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

This is really cool. looking at the various versions of John Stone, is amazing, I can't believe its the same guy. he's like an inflatable doll that you make any size you want. uh oh, I think I just came up with an awesome idea :D

I'll look back at my archives and see if I fill any of the other categories, if so, I'll send the photos with all the relevant info.

14. lil_dave

lil_dave Well-Known Member

6'3
    185 lbs
    somewhere around 12-13% bodyfat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MCEpidemic

MCEpidemic Active Member

Amazing thread, well done by the OP.

16. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

Hi John I would say you looked your most impressive at: 5'11.5", 188.8 lb (BMI=26) at 8% (November 2005).

Is your goal to have minamil body fat ro something because from the old pics of you, you have came a long long way in terms of progress, i was doutbing that was even you. Perfecto

17. mattback

mattback Active Member

18. Jeff Wise

Jeff Wise Active Member

idd, it is truelly an motivational thing to see. I found my new goal :tucool:

19. chocoyote

chocoyote Active Member

Kilter hasnt got 19 %,hes about 13-15

20. woodan

woodan Active Member

I'm dubious that ghaynes is at 20% in that pic as well. Especially, considering he has less BF than the guy after who claims to be at 18%