1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Body fat percentage - a visual guide for women

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by RedPoppy, May 7, 2008.

1. RedPoppy

RedPoppy Active Member

Over the past few weeks, I have been trying to find photos of women at different body fat percentages in order to visually compare and decide what my goal should be. However I have been unable to find anything on women (men i have been able to find with no problems).

Does anyone on this forum have photos of women at different body fat percentages? Say, at 25%, 20%, 18%, 14%, 10% et cetera? It's difficult to decide on a body fat percentage goal if I don't know what it looks like.

I would be most appreciative if the ladies could post something, which would no doubt help me and other newbies.

Thanks all :-)

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Body-For-Life has body fat percentages listed for most of their contest winners, but some of them have some numbers that don't seem to be right. These two seem to be accurate:
    Before 142 lb 31% body fat, after 115 lb 18.9% body fat (5'4")
    [​IMG]

160 lb 30% body fat to 136 lb 18%
    [​IMG]

A man's body fat percentage of 9% (very lean) is equivalent to 15% for a woman. Any woman who is not in a fitness competition wouldn't likely aim to get that low for any sustained period of time.

3. RedPoppy

RedPoppy Active Member

Thanks for that Guava! I really appreciate it. :-)

What body fat % would you say is easily maintainable for women all year round? (That is if we eat clean, lift and do cardio 3x week)

I started at over 30% BF at 132lbs (major case of skinny fat) but I'm progressing along nicely. 4 lbs lost and >3% BF lost. Only doing weights at this stage. So far so good, i think...

#3 RedPoppy, May 7, 2008
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Anywhere between 15 -18% is about where fitness models like on the cover of Shape magazine might be. That's attainable all year round, eating clean, lifting, and doing cardio 3X week. I think I look best around 16%, but I'm much more comfortable about the food choices I get to make and more relaxed activity patterns when I stick closer to 18-20%. (equivalent to 12-14% for men)

I listed approximate body fat percentages in my journal at a few different stages, but I'm really not sure how accurate those are. Here's a couple of links:
    back (about 24%, 18%, 19% and 16%)
    front (24-16% again)

To get an idea what lower body fat percentages look like, take a look at rockenmama's profile here:
    At week 47, she reports being 12% body fat. Most of the other photos are not labelled with a percentage, but I'd guess they're all between 12 and 16%.

5. RedPoppy

RedPoppy Active Member

You have clarified a lot for me Guava. Now I know exactly what body fat percentage I'm aiming for and the estimated timeline to get there. Thanks a million!

I also had a look at your progress pictures. You look awesome at all body fat percentages, but that fourth back picture at 16% BF is just stunning!!! You are definitely someone to look up to :-)

6. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

That's what I keep saying! :)

7. broken7

broken7 Active Member

I'm not a women but does anyone have pictures of a women or man I or both I guess at the same bodyweight but with high bodyfat and one with low bodyfat. Also one at a lesser weight then those but still with high body fat. This would help illustrate to people that weight loss is not the goal and that body composition is. A lot of people have trouble grasping this. They just want to be skinny, they keep asking why they should do weight training if they want to lose "weight". I explain they they need to lose fat not "weight" but they don't seem to get it.

8. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

As far as male shots, John Stone has plenty of these types of before/after photos that show same weights but vastly different compositions. You'll find them in the main site www.johnstonefitness.com. :tu:

9. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

10. xoxo

xoxo Active Member

I'd post my pic but I have no idea what my body fat percentage is so I don't think it would help.