1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Bob T - Back for more, (or less) - Journal III

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Bob T, Dec 6, 2014.

1. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

:gl:

2. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

OK, well that didn't work. :surrender: I gave up quickly, and shied away from this place for some time. Gained a bunch of weight again. The summer of 2016 was full of unhappy events, as explained in this thread: Old-School JSF'ers........

Who knew that open heart surgery, specifically the heart lung machine, affected your taste buds? When I got home from the hospital, beer tasted awful...really awful. Even my favorite craft beers, tasted awful. But I gained a complete and total love of ice cream, something I never had before. It didn't take long for me to go up from the 182 lbs above, to the 190 lbs range.

Since our move to Tennessee, I have been modifying my diet and have been increasingly active due to the new house. (Even walking to the mail box is a workout).

Current weight is 178.6lbs and dropping. Physically, I feel the best I have since surgery. Hopefully by mid-summer I can get the weights back out.

I am not going to promise anything about starting a new journal, or keeping up with this journal, or setting goals. Not yet, anyway. I want to, but it has proved to not be easy.

Bob

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks for another post. Interesting about your taste changes after surgery.

4. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Yes, from what I read it is very common. Took around nine months before things got back to normal with my taste buds.

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

:wave:

Read your post in the old school thread. Tough year or two. Did you have a heart attach or was it solely an issue with a heart valve? Just curious.

The more important question is are you still able to ride?

6. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking.

One day my right arm went numb from the elbow down. They found a blockage in my arm that they traced back to my heart. There was a mass on my aortic valve, and a piece had broken off and moved to my arm, which is way better than moving to my brain. Otherwise my heart was in great shape.

And yes, I still ride. Just need to work on my stamina. They never fixed my arm, and it tires quickly.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

There was a mass on my aortic valve

What does that mean (a blockage)? In the office I work in, the guy in the adjacent office, one day passed out at home, and it turned out his arteries were nearly 100% blocked, and they put in stents. I believe he is 58. He had that done I would guess 4 months ago, and he still is not back to normal. He said he is still very low on energy.

Glad to hear your story turned out well.

8. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

No blockages. Angiogram showed all my arteries were clear. They believe the mass on the valve was most likely a blood clot and a piece of it broke off and went into my arm, causing the numbness. It could have gone to my brain, which would not have been good.

Due to an auto-immune issue, my blood is prone to clotting. I've been on blood thinners for years, after a DVT, mostly warfarin. My doctor switched me to Xaralto about a year before this happened, and that is where I think the problem began. I am now back on warfarin.

Thank you. It is 78ยบ and sunny right now. And, I am a life long Cubs fan. :claphigh:

9. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Well, it has been a busy week. Lots of practical workouts, as the new house still has me very busy, and a pistol competition yesterday that had me moving pretty good. Still, weight is up to 179.2 today and I am sure it is diet related. We are going out to eat much more than we should, but I have to say, it is a luxury we enjoy very much.

Finally sold my Mom's house. Closed on Friday. Just need to wrap up the final bills and I can work on getting the estate closed.

10. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Last week was a very busy week. Very physical with a host of yard work, and a very long shooting match on Saturday. Eating OK, but not counting calories yet. Weight this morning was 177.8, lowest it has been in some time. Feeling good.

Need to work on my resume, as not working is too much work.

Bob